• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lack of point by's for passing.

When I am out riding and another motorcyclist comes up behind me moving at a faster pace, I move over to the right side of the lane and point them by. It amazes me how many motorcyclists fail to do this and just ignore me and stay in the left hand side of the lane. Harley riders are particularly bad at this, but I have seen riders on all makes of bikes fail this simple courtesy. Not sure I understand why would you want a faster bike on your tail instead of letting them by? Are my expectations too high for my fellow bikers?

rickdm, I am with you. If another rider comes up behind me, I move over, let the rider by and give a friendly wave. I know it can be frustrating to be stuck behind another vehicle and I have no desire to ruin someone else's ride. The other rider is happy. I am certainly happy. Win-Win.

When I am out riding and another motorcyclist comes up behind me moving at a faster pace, I move over to the right side of the lane and point them by. It amazes me how many motorcyclists fail to do this and just ignore me and stay in the left hand side of the lane. Harley riders are particularly bad at this, but I have seen riders on all makes of bikes fail this simple courtesy. Not sure I understand why would you want a faster bike on your tail instead of letting them by? Are my expectations too high for my fellow bikers?

My experience is they often don't even know you are there. Just watch when a cop with blue lights or ambulance is held up! Texas is the best state for getting out of your way and their road shoulders support this.

There are also those who believe "I'm going the posted speed limit, so screw that guy behind me."
They don't know that obstructing any traffic - including a speeder - is illegal.
Some states do not permit passing in the same lane, a full lane change is required.

Then there are the self appointed road police who will go out of their way to hold up faster than them folks. Often the faster riders are NOT speeding, just not riding like they “should” in slower riders heads.

The JC TN MOA rally had so many members here from both camps griping about the others riding post rally it was humorous at times. We experienced it on a lot of Visians’ Twisty Routes. Speed up on straights and slam brakes in turns. One manly group finally waved us past but immediately got on H’s wheel and tried to pass her apparently after seeing they were passed by a woman. Two curves later she was long gone… cavemen

TX on the whole does well with pulling over to shoulder, not all though.

Washington state has a law that requires drivers who hold up for than 5 vehicles to use frequently-spaced "pullouts" to enable those behind to pass. There are, of course, those previously named self-appointed road police who tend to ignore this rule.

And yes, I do notice Harleys exhibiting this behaviour more than other bikes.

Then there are the self appointed road police who will go out of their way to hold up faster than them folks. Often the faster riders are NOT speeding, just not riding like they “should” in slower riders heads.

The JC TN MOA rally had so many members here from both camps griping about the others riding post rally it was humorous at times. We experienced it on a lot of Visians’ Twisty Routes. Speed up on straights and slam brakes in turns. One manly group finally waved us past but immediately got on H’s wheel and tried to pass her apparently after seeing they were passed by a woman. Two curves later she was long gone… cavemen

Glad to hear you enjoyed those rides! That sure was a great rally.

As someone who’s spent most of their riding career in the twisties, it’s really obvious that many riders from the flatlands lack the skills required to negotiate mountain roads. Many are so busy trying to avoid riding off the side of the mountain that they fail to check their mirrors.

Then there are the passive-aggressive cruiser groups who ride in formation at half the speed limit, refusing to use turnouts or to allow faster-moving traffic to otherwise pass. It’s almost impossible to pass a large group in one fell swoop, which puts you in the position of busting into a group of not-so-talented riders when required. THAT certainly makes one popular. :eek

Since I am riding mostly on mountain roadsI sometimes come up on riders that when they see me will speed up to show me that they are as fast as I am. I've had to back off because otherwise it is clear they are going to run off the road trying to stay ahead.

I was a track instructor for about 12 years with the Porsche club. The most hated riders were the guys (and they were always guys) with a Turbo who would park it in the corners, then floor it on the straights so nobody could pass them. It was particularly bad if the other driver was in a Boxster 'how could somebody in a Boxster possibly be going faster than me?'

Glad to hear you enjoyed those rides! That sure was a great rally.

It’s almost impossible to pass a large group in one fell swoop, which puts you in the position of busting into a group of not-so-talented riders when required. THAT certainly makes one popular. :eek

Was a great rally, your routes had H laughing when we stopped for fuel at end of one and her asking what’s next? I said Super Twisties file! She replied how much twistier can they be. :rofl

We were at Sipapu Rally making large loop and came up on huge v-twin poker run on CO12. I was new to group and was running sweep as Chuck started moving past groups five at a time with H right behind, by time I passed the stink eye factor was hot. Having to pull into group several times was fun indeed. :brow

Then we had to stop for fuel :laugh No encounters luckily!

Was a great rally, your routes had H laughing when we stopped for fuel at end of one and her asking what’s next? I said Super Twisties file! She replied how much twistier can they be. :rofl

We were at Sipapu Rally making large loop and came up on huge v-twin poker run on CO12. I was new to group and was running sweep as Chuck started moving past groups five at a time with H right behind, by time I passed the stink eye factor was hot. Having to pull into group several times was fun indeed. :brow

Then we had to stop for fuel :laugh No encounters luckily!

It’s odd that when “I’m doing something different than you” seems to turn into an insult or challenge. :dunno

For vehicles on the highway, when passing, it seems to “wake up” the driver to the fact they have been driving 10 under the speed limit in a travel lane. :brow

OM

Washington state has a law that requires drivers who hold up for than 5 vehicles to use frequently-spaced "pullouts" to enable those behind to pass. There are, of course, those previously named self-appointed road police who tend to ignore this rule.

And yes, I do notice Harleys exhibiting this behaviour more than other bikes.

Think it was Montana that has signage instructing drivers to do that as well and saw troopers enforcing (after passing us!) Both those involved those aluminum river running boats slow rolling along. See lights in mirrors and the relief knowing it’s not for us!

It’s odd that when “I’m doing something different than you” seems to turn into an insult or challenge. :dunno

For vehicles on the highway, when passing, it seems to “wake up” the driver to the fact they have been driving 10 under the speed limit in a travel lane. :brow

OM

Reading RV forums has me seeing same issue. The motor coach fellas are not understanding why people are mad at them as they are going the limit in the fast lane (some do admit 5 under). You want to say “seriously?”

Reading RV forums has me seeing same issue. The motor coach fellas are not understanding why people are mad at them as they are going the limit in the fast lane (some do admit 5 under). You want to say “seriously?”

One thing I want to say...I tow a 25' travel trailer, and generally tow at 60mph, maybe 65. I try to keep my speed within limits due to safety in the event of an emergency. I am generally NOT traveling under the speed limit.

On a three lane highway, if I stay in the right lane, I constantly deal with cars merging in when entering the highway. I would prefer to stay in the right lane, but wow, the antics people pull if you are in the right lane are scary.

If I stay in the middle lane, I am CONSTANTLY passed on the right by speeding drivers. No one cares at all if they are in my blind spot. Once in the middle lane, it is sometimes quite a challenge to move back over into the right lane. In fact, many times a driver will pass me on the right even if they are still behind the trailer and I have my turn signal on to indicate a lane change.

So, this may have little to do with the OP's topic as it relates to motorcycles, but RV's were brought up in the thread, and in my mind it speaks to the typically bad driving habits exhibited on the roads every day, regardless of what the driver is piloting.

SPP

Also tow a 26’ ToyHauler with same issues. I try to play nice with others , sometimes just doesn’t happen. Trying to pass the convoy takes time once you make the commitment and the fifteen over group needs to check it for a minute…I’m trying!
I think I am more aware as a rider as to lane position but sometimes…

When we see a rider or riders catching us I move to the right tire track and try to make it easy for them to get past. When they pass, especially if they stay in the same lane I'll wave to let them know I see them.
Sometimes we'll have cars or trucks wave us by in spots where I don't have a good view of the road ahead. If I don't have a good view I don't go. I'm not going to trust a person I don't know.

Tell them it's not the fast lane, it's the passing lane. If there is a vehicle behind them and they are not passing, they are in the wrong lane.

I usually give the slower bike(s) and car(s) a chance or two to slow or pull over in turnouts. (No one ever uses a turn out.) If they don't seem to see us or worse, speed up on straights, then I'll just wait for a good spot to pass. Sometimes a "good spot" may require a bit of throttle and a fender dusting.

If you really want to get annoyed with slow bikes, drive a sports car in the mountains. :banghead

Tell them it's not the fast lane, it's the passing lane. If there is a vehicle behind them and they are not passing, they are in the wrong lane.

My dad told me if there’s no one in front of you and lots behind you…you’re in the wrong lane!

I hear it every time I see it :thumb

Back