• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What do you think of the '76 R90/6

eastbay

There is a1976 BMW R90/6.a couple hours from me for sale. here is the ad:

Good condition, solid bike need fine tuning of carbs and timing. The neutral switch is a little finicky but have a new one that comes with the bike. Needs some cosmetics. Push rod tubes weep a little oil. 160 psi both cylinders. Mileage around 24,000. Alabama does not issue titles for bikes this old. I have the Louisiana title from when I purchased it. Current Alabama registration. $3200 or reasonable offer. Have too many projects.
Video of bike at this link - https://youtu.be/UPnZSsJtdpg If interested email me via craigslist and I will contact you.
New tires
New Dyna 3 electronic ignition
Rebuilt cards
New front brake brake pads
New front wheel bearings
New clutch cable
New Battery

I currently ride a "94 R1100rs. I used to have an "older " one and miss their simplicity. Whatta you think?

Nice point of time for this bike...R90/6 is a good machine. Lots of good things come with it...nothing that can't be fixed. Weird to have a video of a guy riding the bike...would really like to see the bike not just hear it!

Nice point of time for this bike...R90/6 is a good machine. Lots of good things come with it...nothing that can't be fixed. Weird to have a video of a guy riding the bike...would really like to see the bike not just hear it!

I'll bet there are photos on his Craigslist ad. I liked the riding video - makes me want to go for an airhead ride!

List of work and mileage

Reading the list of work done and needed doesn't raise any alarm bells in my mind. I could see carbs being rebuild in 24K miles if the bike sits more than it is ridden, same goes for the battery. The 160psi compression is good and I would expect that from a bike with a true 24K miles. If it were lower, I would be aware, a 1 might be in front of the 24K.

Weeping push rod tube seals same thing, seals dry out of they are not used, or should I say if the bike is not ridden.

I didn't look at any pictures you provided on your post at the link you posted. I would say if there is a lot of rust on spokes or what chrome there is, be aware, it costs bucks to chrome plate or replace rusted parts. At the same time, if the paint is messed up, a repaint can be expensive.

Of course, the appearance of the bike is your business, and you may not be as picky as I am.

The R90/6 bikes were the work horse of BMW for a long time, and everyone I know that had them or ride them love them. Good luck with the purchase, Let us know if you buy it. St.

Can't See Much

Can't see much in the YT video, but looks like a nice neighborhood. Wonder if, "around 24,000" means the odometer is broken, "last week, maybe 50 miles ago". I have heard that one a few times. As for R90/6, I believe it was the best motor BMW made, and 1976 is the best year, since the frame was beefed up in 76.

Depending on condition, $3200 sounds like definitely worth looking it over in person. Where is the bike located?

Eyes open

A good point regarding mileage.

I gave you some items to consider regarding what to check and such. Maybe I am being over cautious and negative? Could be. I have been on this forum and the Vintage BMW forum for years as well as been a denizen of an Airhead repair/restoration shop. Most importantly, I have been the victim of a pretty face used bike and as such paid for it big time.

My 78R100RS is now my soiled dove, Oh boy, it was spotless, looked like brand new when I looked at it at the PO's house. The only concern I could see at the time was damage to the fairing where he had dropped it off the side stand and where his ex girlfriend had knocked it over with her car in a fit of rage. The odometer was 32K.

I fixed the fairing and rode it for a year until I got knocked off of it at intersection. It sat for years in boxes until I had it repaired and put back on the road. This time I started having problems with oil consumption and the alternator burned out. Come to find out the engine cylinders were worn out. The alternator stator was corroded. Turns out there was an extra digit in front of the 37. After a rebuild and upgrade on the alternator things are great and I love the bike.

So, I got a bike for a fair price but hidden defects, and it cost me 3K more added to the purchase price.

The craigslist pictures look good. the video looks good, but, you never know. A lot of guys end up buying pigs in a poke. Not that every one gets a bad bike used, the majority get great bikes used. the small percentage of burned buyers end up in the forum asking for help with issues. We in the forum are more than willing to help them and you out.

As I said the R90/6 is a great airhead. Most sellers are not crooks or con men, LOL, just me being a jerk, Good luck. St.

Thanks ST. I get it. I once drove 6 hours to see a worn out airhead that had 100,000 more miles on the clock than was stated in the ad. lesson learned. Seller said someone coming to see it tonight.

Last edited:
I feel sorry

Yeah if you have been around long enough in the BMW world, you get the drift on buying used BMW bikes. One of the good things they did with the newer bikes is add the extra number to give mileage over 1000K, Of course this is not fool proof but better.

I really feel sorry for new guys who have been riding other manufacture bikes, and decide they want to try an airhead only to get taken for a ride by some jerk. My friend had one of those bikes in his shop last summer. So many problems hidden by the PO, both age related and related to the fact the PO should not be allowed to touch a tool or make any kind of repairs. By the time the new owner got the estimate to get it into working order, the thrill of a airhead was not just worn off but stomped on. He did choose to put the money into the bike and when my friend was finished, he has a good bike.

If I was not able to do some or most of the work myself, I don't know what I would have done when I found out I had been duped on the purchase of my RS. To take it into a shop and have the work done would have been far more than the book value of the bike. If I had not really wanted an early RS and was not planning to keep it for the rest of my life. If I hadn't been able to do the work myself, I would have sold it at a loss, and looked for another one. St.

The odometer in my 1975 R90/6 (which I bought new!) quit working at about 30K miles. This is apparently a common R bike problem & rode it for several years before repairing it. It probably has about 45K miles but now shows only 29K. I wouldn't trust an R bike odometer for any info.

Worth Looking At

Looking at the pics in the CL ad, and the description, I'd say this bike is definitely worth looking at, even if the odd turns out to be off. But as always, buyer beware, so look it over carefully. If someone else is already coming to look at it, if it sells, it was a good deal. If it does not, I'd be even more careful in looking it over myself.

It is pretty, and I definitely have a soft spot for R90/6. But I hate Corbin seats, they look great but are way too hard for me.

Original rear shocks are probably toast, so those would need to be replaced. Not sure why the fork gaiters aren't properly fastened at the top...the tube is exposed. Aftermarket grips. Aftermarket seat which is probably a good thing! Hard to tell, but the front tire should be more off the ground than that...likely the center stand stops have been hammered over the years.

For sure

Boy you can't say the buyer is going in blind on this bike, a lot of things being noticed which can be minor or, can be major. Great job of everyone advising and posting comments.

I would rather see a buyer say, no, this is not for me, I'll wait than to have them jump on it and get burned and bitter later on. St.

I noticed

Fenders are repainted, center stand tang is missing, rear reflectors missing, non stock handle bars and there may be more and these items are cosmetic but the repainted fenders are an indication the bike has been at least partially apart.

I would ask if the serial numbers are all matching. If they don't you need to get the engine serial number to determine the year of the motor and it would be an indication that it is a "Bitsabike" made up from several bikes.

Are the carburetors the correct ones for the year.

Its a good amount of money but might be a little much for a bike with unknown mileage (the add did say the odometer is broken) and history of major services performed.

Things to look at if you decide to get close...

Mileage is a big concern because of odometer failure which is common in airheads. Check the control levers to see if they are tight in the control casting. A floppy, loose lever (up and down movement) is a sign of lots of use. Looking at the foot brake pedal there is a pattern of raised pyramids cast into the foot plate. Analyze the wear by comparing the wear on contact edges. At 25K the majority of pyramids should still be well defined. The muffler/passenger footrest bracket has a small tab welded to the lower frame cross brace beneath the swing arm on both sides. A cracked or broken tab is an indication of a tip over or a wreck. Wheel rims on a 24K bike should have had at least 3sets of tires mounted so if there are lots of tire iron marks the owner(s) are either not adept at tire work or, there have been more tires mounted which means more miles. The transmission should have one horizontal cast raised rib midway on the case. A replacement transmission with no rib, a rib and small rectangle or multiple ribs is a use indicator. The rear tire facing curved portion of the swing arm will have rock dings so one that’s peppered is either dirt roads or lots of road miles. If peppered. Look at the front of the engine around the oil pan and see if there are lots of rock dings - you are looking for consistency. I hope it’s a good one. The R90/6 1976 is an excellent machine. I’d buy one in a flash. One could get at least 50+ miles per gallon on the road in good tune. Parts are easy find and it uses a lot of 77-79 parts which are generally better. The manufacturer date should be in the range 10/75 through 7/76 to be an actual 1976 R90/6. 1977/7 motorcycles began production 10/76.

wow, thanks for all the tips. I'll know tonight or tomorrow if it's still available.I'd forgotten about the brake pedal wear.

The more

The more folks here at the forum post things about noticed flaws and irregularities, the less I would be inclined to buy this bike. I for myself am seeing too many red flags going up for the price.

Remember just because it is a BMW does not mean it is worth the price some people ask.

To be honest, for a few bucks more, there are bikes in the cycle trader which may be a better price for what they are. Just my thoughts with all coming to light in the posts. St.

The bike sounds like it's worth a look, but look it over close. There is no original /6 odometer that is still working today without being rebuilt at least once. If there are no service records to verify the mileage I would ignore the odometer and judge the bike only on it's condition.

Back