• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1975 r90/6 front wheel bearing

clmedlin

I am rebuilding a r90/6. I bought the bike as a barn find project. As I went to rebuild the front hub, one of the outter races fell out when I pulled the bearing. As I went to install the new outter races, one side pressed in as expected. On the side which came out with the bearing, the outer race will slide in and out without force.

Is my hub shot? Do I have options besides replacing it?

Last edited:
I am rebuilding a r90/6. I bought the bike as a barn find project. As I went to rebuild the front hub, one of the outter races fell out when I pulled the bearing. As I went to install the new outter races, one side pressed in as expected. On the side which came out with the bearing, the outer race will slide in and out without force.

Is my hub shot? Do I have options besides replacing it?

In theory, a skilled machinist could shim that side of the hub to again hold the bearing race. But, I don't know of anyone who is doing this work, and if they did, it might be as expensive as finding a replacement hub (or wheel) as I expect you'd have to have the wheel de-laced to have just the hub to work with. I friend of mine had a similar problem with a rear wheel on his /5 and finally found a used rear hub and had a new rim laced up around it at Woody's.

That hub should require heat to remove and install the bearing outers. Your situation sounds like someone skipped that step in the past.

Yes, the bearing bore or sleeve retainer Loctite will hopefully be enough to keep things together.

In theory, a skilled machinist could shim that side of the hub to again hold the bearing race. But, I don't know of anyone who is doing this work, and if they did, it might be as expensive as finding a replacement hub (or wheel) as I expect you'd have to have the wheel de-laced to have just the hub to work with. I friend of mine had a similar problem with a rear wheel on his /5 and finally found a used rear hub and had a new rim laced up around it at Woody's.

Thanks. I reached lout to Woody's and am awaiting a response. I had thought about have a shim machined - just not sure how safe that would be.

Work

While I have never personally had this problem, there have been quite a few different threads over the years on the BMWMOA, Vintage and Airheads regarding the issue.

Whatever is done it must be certain the race when repaired does not turn at all in the hub. As I write, there have been many repairs done with various methods and varying success. Good luck, St.

I appreciate all the input. I am new to the MOA and this was my first post. I thought I’d share my decision - I got an estimate from Woody’s. I also contacted Loctite and a buddy who’s in the manufacturing business who I consider an expert in bearings and engineering - just not motorcycles. I opted to use Loctite 648. It was the most cost effective solution. I installed the outer race today. It appears to be working. I am waiting on a shim kit from cycle works, but when the wheel is completed, I will update the group on the outcome. Woody’s was going to use a retaining compound as well. Sourcing a new hub was just not realistic. Thanks again. S/F

Back