• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are you listening to today?

Another great young bluegrass picker is Molly Tuttle. I've heard it said that the future of bluegrass is in good hands with these younger folks.

Since this is a (mostly) motorcycle forum I thought that I would mention some of the nearby area in which I like to ride - it is called the Crooked Road in Virginia. There are some real treats for bluegrass fans along the way. I hope that some folks got to experience this to and from the recent MOA Rally.

https://thecrookedroadva.com/
https://www.virginia.org/things-to-do/arts-and-entertainment/music/the-crooked-road/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yB5ON422XAg?si=2Mdx1HMDr5-6k_ln" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A nice version of Teach Your Children:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P5AuFDHdrrg?si=aqQeXFAbfSVkWavR" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got some documentation t work on today, so it’s gonna be Book Club Radio DJ sets. I like Tinzo’s party sets. It’s an hour of steady grooving that keeps me focused. Might not be to taste for some, but we have this on in the house regularly. Works great in the garage where I have a 55” on the wall and a big Denon receiver running my old JBLs and JBL subwoofer.

Like a big funky metronome keeping me moving on pace.

Here’s a full Thievery Corporation set from Boston. Who doesn’t love a band with two drummers, a sitar and a couple guitars? Add in backup singers and a serious rhythm section and it’s time to drop into the groove and go for a ride with them. If you like polyrhythms and percussion led bands, these guys are for you.

Warning: no blues based chord progressions will be heard.

Something a little different for y’all this morning. I like Track 5: Illumination. Simply astounding drumming with funky sitar breaks.

Groove on, bob your head, smack your thighs like bongos.

TGIF, y’all.

Got some documentation t work on today, so it’s gonna be Book Club Radio DJ sets. I like Tinzo’s party sets. It’s an hour of steady grooving that keeps me focused. Might not be to taste for some, but we have this on in the house regularly. Works great in the garage where I have a 55” on the wall and a big Denon receiver running my old JBLs and JBL subwoofer.

Like a big funky metronome keeping me moving on pace.

I like it!

Joe

I like it!

Joe

Thanks. They have a bench of DJs and they all have their own "flavor". I kinda like the retro, disco or funk house party ones the most. I like that I'm way down in some document making edits and I can look up and there's a houseful of people grooving away. :ha

It's been a while since I've been to a great house party like that.

The thing that amazes me is that I'd not heard of Nina Simone until I watched a movie with Brigit Fonda (Peter Fonda's daughter). In that movie (Point of No Return, I think) Brigit Fonda's character had a thing for Nina Simone. I was so taken with Nina Simone that I subsequently obtained several CDs of her music. Nina Simone was a very special talent.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pd_P2ZDw4M0?si=Z0grb3_NbTkezaXL" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The thing that amazes me is that I'd not heard of Nina Simone until I watched a movie with Brigit Fonda (Peter Fonda's daughter). In that movie (Point of No Return, I think) Brigit Fonda's character had a thing for Nina Simone. I was so taken with Nina Simone that I subsequently obtained several CDs of her music. Nina Simone was a very special talent.

Nina Simone is like a number of talents that were ahead of their time and deserved better recognition.

Point of No Return was an excellent movie. Beyond the story, it can bring the viewer to find new music. There are some wonderful soundtracks in movies and using a song recognition program like Shazam (currently on iPhones), can help with identification of the song. A few other amazing soundtracks can be found on Almost Famous and Guardians of the Galaxy movie soundtracks.

OM

Yacht Rock Revue

This tribute group showed up on the year end PBS Pledge Drive. If you enjoy easy listening music and songs where there isn’t a fight to understand the lyrics, you may enjoy this group.

Here is Yacht Rock Revue doing justice to Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street. (Fan video)

Watch for the whole concert, with better sound quality, on your local PBS stations.

OM

Another take on Lou Reed’s Sweet Jane-

I always wonder how this band would make the incredible, original into sound.

OM

Back