• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are the shop rates???

My Boxster takes 9 quarts of Mobil 1. I use Swepco Oil at $13/qt., so yeah, I can kinda believe $600 at the Porsche dealer for an oil change.

The only problem is that dealer is using the same Mobil 1 oil I get at Walmart which is about US$28 for a jug of 5 quarts. My oil changes with a factory oil filter and aluminum drain plug seal run me about CA$105. I use 8.5 liters in the 991.1 GTS and 11.5 liters in the 993.

And you know that you're not just getting an oil change at the Porsche dealer, they're going to run the full Inspection for you.

Thanks, but I'd sooner they not touch my car. And with my PCCBs, I certainly do not want them taking a wheel off.

Next projects are brake fluid change and a coolant change since they're both two years old now.

Lets hope the Foxwell can activate the ABS when doing the brake fluid change. As for a coolant change, you might need a compressor and a coolant vacuum tool. I use Valvoline Zerex G40 in the 991. It might be the same for your car but better check the Zerex web site. A lot cheaper than the Porsche coolant and it is the same stuff (BASF Glysantin).

Lets hope the Foxwell can activate the ABS when doing the brake fluid change. As for a coolant change, you might need a compressor and a coolant vacuum tool. I use Valvoline Zerex G40 in the 991. It might be the same for your car but better check the Zerex web site. A lot cheaper than the Porsche coolant and it is the same stuff (BASF Glysantin).

It does. It's why I bought it. I have both a compressor and a vacuum filler.

Thanks for the pointer on coolant.

A fair bit of thread drift seems to have occurred here (raises guilty hand), and I’m sure there are many who would be interested in seeing results of the original question: What are the shop rates in your area or dealership? Perhaps Paul might get more clear and targeted responses in a poll format, where responders can select from an array of possible rate brackets?

Best,
DeVern

I found a new beer to look for, thanks thread drift. St.

Well I am not for it because it happens on my own threads on here and other forums that should stay focused on the subject line, and the very odd time I may be the culprit.

It started in my post #28, but only because some members wanted FREE service as a joke or maybe not...so I said "bring beer".

But yes, I can afford beer because my own personal shop rates are $0/hour. :laugh And I get to relax while working on my vehicles.

But I believe in GTRider's recommendation. A Poll with 75-99, 100-124, 125-149, 150-174, 175-199 per hour rates. Why not start over and delete this thread.

Back