• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are the shop rates???

Just figure out how much the dealer is getting for billable hours. The tech does good, but the dealer really does good.

It billable hours, not clock hours.
If you can do a flat rate one hour job in 45 minutes, you get one hour of pay.
I know techs that can bill 12 to 15 hours worth of work in one eight hour day.
Of course any come backs were not paid to the tech as he already was paid for for task.
I was on the other end of the scale. I would take an hour and 15 mins to do a one hour job.
And I got paid less than they did. I was ok with that.

I had to laugh at that bolded. I was tasked to fly to Oregon by a New England Patriot to recover 50K he'd lent this charlatan. He was the second client from the Patriots who reached out after I'd recovered 35K for another player the month before. I'd flown to Portland the first time to make the collection. The guy didn't appreciate my approach to pay up but he paid up while I was there in his officer by wire transfer to my clients account.

So, I take the second player as a client, I can collect that 50K of which I get 20% of whatever I can recover. I make a phone call to the guy in Portland. Explain he doesn't want me to fly back out to Portland, pay the client in 10 days or I'm on my way. I waited the 10 days, called the NE Patriot and asked if he'd received his money. He had and wanted to know where to send the 10K.

Two minute call, 10K in the coffers. Billable, not on the clock hours. :clap

The math doesn't add up to me.
If you worked 10 hr days at 25, thats 250 per day. times 6 is 1500.
How do you end up with 4-5 thousand a week?

Actual hours versus shop flat rate perhaps?

Like the local HD dealer that charged two hours to change both ties on a bagger and does it in 45 minutes!

It still doesn't work out as he would have to bill roughly 180 hours to charge out $4500 at $25 per hour.

Years ago in my own shop, on jobs I had done repeatedly I could bill out 2 to 1, but I wasn't able to do it across the board.

The last time I walked past the service Dept. at BMW Motorcycles of Charlotte NC the sign said $90 per half hour.

Motorcycles: $0 /hr.

Acura RDX: $0 /hr.

Both Porsches: $0 / hr. Can you believe they pay as much as $600 for an oil and oil filter change. :rolleyes Mind you, reading some/many of the threads, its probably a good idea because tools and some people just do not go together.

It'll be an absolute cold day in hell when I pay someone to work on my vehicles and to a lower standard.

Both Porsches: $0 / hr. Can you believe they pay as much as $600 for an oil and oil filter change. :rolleyes Mind you, reading some/many of the threads, its probably a good idea because tools and some people just do not go together.

It'll be an absolute cold day in hell when I pay someone to work on my vehicles and to a lower standard.

With those rates we should all take our bikes and cars to GlobalRider. I heard on the internet that he does good work. :)

Last edited:
With those rates we should all take out bikes and cars to GlobalRider. I heard on the internet that he does good work. :)

Bring beer, but none of the pissy American or Canadian stuff. Bud Light is not a beer and I use it to wash my cars. Also, I drink out of bottles, not cans.

This is what I drink...good Polish beer...
Lezajsk.jpg

My rates

LOl i listed my rates, just kidding I am not in business. As for helping out, I am not set up to do any work on anything newer than 95 airheads. No scan tool andI don't have a large selection of Torx head stuff to fit the modern bikes. St.

Ask any lawyer about billable vs actual hours.
If you can do a 4 hour flat rate job in 1 hour, you get paid for the 4 hours it was supposed to take.

I've worked in legal for 41 years. No, there is no "flat rate" equivalent for legal work in most fee arrangements and if you inflate your bill with hours you didn't work, get ready to get hauled up and sanctioned on ethics charges by the bar.

Been there, watched that.

Shop rates are defined by a book that spells out exactly how much time to bill for each task. It's like splitting a dinner tab with friends. Sometimes you make out a little, sometimes, you don't.

As I've said before, if I had to pay todays shop rates, I'd have to give up motorcycles. I do as much work on my own bikes as I can. A couple of years ago I bought a NoMar so I could change my own tires. Just bought a small hand held scan tool off ebay. $350 bucks, but considering the local Ducati dealer wanted over $1000 dollars! :eek to do a service on my Hypermotard, it was money well spent.

My Boxster takes 9 quarts of Mobil 1. I use Swepco Oil at $13/qt., so yeah, I can kinda believe $600 at the Porsche dealer for an oil change. And you know that you're not just getting an oil change at the Porsche dealer, they're going to run the full Inspection for you.

There's a reason I bought a 987. I can still do all the things to it in my garage and only needed a $150 Foxwell gizmo with the Porsche stuff loaded on it to be able to do so. Sure, I've had to add some tools (eTorx sockets, notably, along with higher value torque wrenches, jack stands and QuickJacks), but I can do pretty much anything on it.

Next projects are brake fluid change and a coolant change since they're both two years old now.

Shop labor rate data - I believe that the local BMW dealer [Motorcycles of Greensboro, NC] (owned by the same guy that owns the Charlotte BMW shop) also charges $90 / half-hour. My last visit to the BMW service dept. was a couple of years ago on the day before the warranty expired on my 2018 R1200RTw. The stated rate at the time was $85 per half-hour. I paid the service tech to inspect the cams for excessive wear - none found. About a half-hour labor charged. The local Triumph dealer charges $155 per hour. I had my 2022 Tiger 900 in the shop last week to reset the service indicator (the hardware / software equivalent to GS-911 would not do this [yet, soon to be fixed, I hope!]). Several software / firmware updates were also installed - this took a couple of hours, but I was only charged for 0.4 labor hours. I was surprised that it wasn't a lot more as I spent the couple of hours in the shop chatting with the service guys - very interesting.

Beer data - there is a local brewery [Red Oak] that has good beer (in my opinion). The beer has to stay refrigerated. This is why -
https://www.redoakbrewery.com/#RealBeer

Reinheitsgebot

The 1516 Bavarian Law of Purity

Duke Wilhelm IV enacted the Reinheitsgebot or Bavarian Beer Purity Law in 1516. It stated that the only ingredients allowed in beer making were barley, hops and water. This is the oldest law governing food and beverage and was issued to achieve the following goals:

To prohibit the use of cereal grains normally used in bread making (wheat, spelt and rye) to make beer, in order to prevent famine in years of poor harvests. Note: Only barley was allowed. To protect the health of beer drinkers by prohibiting the then customary use of health-threatening bittering and seasoning agents. Note: Only hops were permitted. Yeast was not included because it had not yet been discovered!

Although the Law of Purity has undergone some amendments over the years, the bottom line is that we adhere to the Purity Law of 1516 by using only water, malted barley, yeast and hops. Red Oak Brewery is committed to brewing the best beer possible using only the very best ingredients.

All Red Oak Lagers carry the 1516 Seal as your assurance they have been brewed according to the 1516 Bavarian Law of Purity.

red-oak.jpg

Last edited:
Shop labor rate data - I believe that the local BMW dealer [Motorcycles of Greensboro, NC] (owned by the same guy that owns the Charlotte BMW shop) also charges $90 / half-hour. My last visit with them was a couple of years ago on the day before the warranty expired on my 2018 R1200RTw. The stated rate at the time was $85 per half-hour. I paid the service tech to inspect the cams for excessive wear - none found. About a half-hour labor charged. The local Triumph dealer charges $155 per hour. I had my 2022 Tiger 900 in the shop to reset the service indicator (the hardware / software equivalent to GS-911 would not do this [yet, soon to be fixed, I hope!]). Several software / firmware updates were also installed - this took a couple of hours, but I was only charged for 0.4 labor hours. I was surprised that it wasn't a lot more as I spent the couple of hours in the shop chatting with the service guys - very interesting.

Beer data - there is a local brewery [Red Oak] that has good beer (in my opinion). The beer has to stay refrigerated. This is why -
https://www.redoakbrewery.com/#RealBeer

Reinheitsgebot

The 1516 Bavarian Law of Purity

Duke Wilhelm IV enacted the Reinheitsgebot or Bavarian Beer Purity Law in 1516. It stated that the only ingredients allowed in beer making were barley, hops and water. This is the oldest law governing food and beverage and was issued to achieve the following goals:

To prohibit the use of cereal grains normally used in bread making (wheat, spelt and rye) to make beer, in order to prevent famine in years of poor harvests. Note: Only barley was allowed. To protect the health of beer drinkers by prohibiting the then customary use of health-threatening bittering and seasoning agents. Note: Only hops were permitted. Yeast was not included because it had not yet been discovered!

Although the Law of Purity has undergone some amendments over the years, the bottom line is that we adhere to the Purity Law of 1516 by using only water, malted barley, yeast and hops. Red Oak Brewery is committed to brewing the best beer possible using only the very best ingredients.

All Red Oak Lagers carry the 1516 Seal as your assurance they have been brewed according to the 1516 Bavarian Law of Purity.

Except that the Germans went ahead and have been brewing hefeweizen the entire time too and it's kind of a traditional summer beer. :D

When looking at shop rates, some humor is necessary!
(and a beer or two is helpful :drink)

Back in April of 2022, Valdi's Motozone charged $98/hr for labor; I don't know what he charges today.

It must be both expensive to use and it must leave your cars really sticky.

A joke! I can't stand crap beer and I know, taste is subjective but unless you can get a craft beer that might be good, the rest of it is...well...not very good. Funny how we call it a "Craft Beer"; in Germany it is the norm and just called beer. For weizen bier...Weihenstephaner.

We should have a beer thread. Hell, we drive BMWs. This year, I stopped in at the "HB Haus" in Munich as well as at the "Biergarten am Chinesischen Turm" in the English Gardens, also the BMW Museum for the 100th anniversary of the motorcycle.

Back