• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Postal Service wants to raise First Class mail prices- AGAIN!

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Looks like the Postal Service is at it again, raising rates from 68 cents to 73 cents.

Courtesy of CNN-

If approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission, the change would take effect in July, raising the cost of mailing services products by nearly 8%.

Stamp prices alone have soared 36% since 2019 when they used to cost 50 cents. The Postal Service last raised First-Class stamp prices by two cents in January, just a few months after it raised prices three cents in July 2023.

The whole CNN story here- https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/10/business/stamp-prices-increase-usps/index.html

I’m not sure if they realize that there is a good chance that rate increases may drive people to “pay on line” or “pay by phone” services. :hungover

Perhaps we could have Jerry Seinfeld take charge?

:brow

OM

I have long thought that the minimum postage should be $1.00 and that includes EVERYTHING, including so-called bulk mail. I reckon that 95 percent (or more) of the mail that we receive is junk and goes straight into the trash. If the junk mailers had to pay an elevated price for postage, then perhaps less junk would be sent. I think that it would be ok to have mail delivered 2 or 3 times per week rather than daily.

I also believe that the cost of printing and postage will eventually drive magazines to an on-line only format (including MOA's Owners' News).

The Wunderlich printed catalogue included with the April Owners' News (in a plastic bag) went straight into the trash. I know how to look at stuff on-line and if I see something I want, I can place the order. UPS or FedEx can get it to me fairly quickly.

I have long thought that the minimum postage should be $1.00 and that includes EVERYTHING, including so-called bulk mail. I reckon that 95 percent (or more) of the mail that we receive is junk and goes straight into the trash. If the junk mailers had to pay an elevated price for postage, then perhaps less junk would be sent. I think that it would be ok to have mail delivered 2 or 3 times per week rather than daily.

I also believe that the cost of printing and postage will eventually drive magazines to an on-line only format (including MOA's Owners' News).

The Wunderlich printed catalogue included with the April Owners' News (in a plastic bag) went straight into the trash. I know how to look at stuff on-line and if I see something I want, I can place the order. UPS or FedEx can get it to me fairly quickly.
For your consideration, It would seem that if everything want to a dollar, that would stop things like supermarket flyers. Stopping things like supermarket flyers may not affect everyone but it sure would affect those not computer savvy- people still like coupons. I hope you recycled the Wunderlich catalog! :stick The plastic bag was so two items could be sent under the same postage. I was happy to see the new items from Wunderlich.
I also you seem to like UPS or FedEx and didn't mention the post office. I try to avoid shipping with the post office if I can due to the confusing delivery and frequent condescending attitude when something addressed to my street address gets to the PO without my box number on it. I have parts coming and later found they were shipped USPS so it is a crapshoot weather I will receive them.
Looks like next year the PO Box fee will go up to $236.00. Almost a dollar a business day to not have my mail delivered. At least I know where it is. :dunno
OM

LOL The few sheets of "collectible" stamps I own will now be worth more in postage than their collectible value. I would gladly go to 4 delivery days each week. EVERYTHING is getting more expensive!

I see no issues with them raising it. I think it should be at least $1.00 or more. As a Canadian expat, postage in Canada is even higher.....$1.07

I could do with mail once a week if it would stop this continuous increase. Their "express" is a thing of the past and it's now, "ground advantage", ....their advantage. A recent Revzilla return was nearly $10, for a 12oz. pair of gloves. I will by local !

I am not going to get out of shape about it. We use fewer than ten stamps a year most years. Our bank has "bill pay" and we use it.

Having the Postal Service is a Constitutionaly mandated requirement. With the continued decrease in 1st class mail, likely due to e-mail, electronic cards, etc, and the increased competition for package delivery the post office catches a lot of flack. Hard to see how they can maintain their infrastructure (often congressionally mandated despite flying in the face of efficiency and common sense) and their work force at less than $1 per 1st class item. Seems like bulk crap mail should carry a higher % of cost to me.

Having the Postal Service is a Constitutionaly mandated requirement. With the continued decrease in 1st class mail, likely due to e-mail, electronic cards, etc, and the increased competition for package delivery the post office catches a lot of flack. Hard to see how they can maintain their infrastructure (often congressionally mandated despite flying in the face of efficiency and common sense) and their work force at less than $1 per 1st class item. Seems like bulk crap mail should carry a higher % of cost to me.
Maybe they need all the extra money to purchase the electric vehicles and pay the staggering amount to retrofit the post offices with charging stations? :blush
OM

That "bulk junk mail" - like supermarket flyers - is actually a significant portion of their income. Several years ago, I asked my guy, "Is there any way to get off of this mailing list?" He laughed.
A lot of the junque I get either has my name misspelled or even a wrong middle initial; much of it is from outfits that I've never contacted and have absolutely no wish to be bothered by. Instant trash; but if they include a postage-paid return envelope, I'll send some junk (supermarket flyers!) right back to them.
A few days ago, I checked the "Tracking" for an incoming delivery... It went to my local post office for final delivery... then somebody sent it away to another city, where they sent it right back. Package was slightly damaged, but the contents were OK so I didn't fuss about it.

It can be amusing. The PO is 3 blocks from my house.
I mailed some letters and one had no stamp. (My bad)
It took 10 days to be returned to me.
Or, mail a letter to someone in the same village and it travels 70 miles to another city, then 100 miles to another city
then 70 miles back to the original PO to be delivered.

It can be amusing. The PO is 3 blocks from my house.
I mailed some letters and one had no stamp. (My bad)
It took 10 days to be returned to me.
Or, mail a letter to someone in the same village and it travels 70 miles to another city, then 100 miles to another city
then 70 miles back to the original PO to be delivered.
There are USPS sort centers and regional breakbulk centers and a throughput flow that requires awkward movements like this. Likely every piece of mail from your village goes to the sort center and back to village in one night or two days but a no stamp letter probably goes to sort and then goes on to the regional breakbulk and sits in a bin one day, Combine with a weekend that's 6 days right there then another weekend to sit 2 more days. Having the machinery and personnel at every PO to sort local mail with no stamps or incomplete address back out of the flow would add cost that would not improve transit times for the letters / parcels with correct postage much less a no stamp or incomplete address.

It's hard for the USPS to compete on cost with carriers that don't have to go to every door in the land that has a piece of mail every day. Fed Ex and UPS can cherry pick lanes with high density and build extra transit time into light density lanes so they get the required density every second or third day in order to make the lane profitable.

There are USPS sort centers and regional breakbulk centers and a throughput flow that requires awkward movements like this. Likely every piece of mail from your village goes to the sort center and back to village in one night or two days but a no stamp letter probably goes to sort and then goes on to the regional breakbulk and sits in a bin one day, Combine with a weekend that's 6 days right there then another weekend to sit 2 more days. Having the machinery and personnel at every PO to sort local mail with no stamps or incomplete address back out of the flow would add cost that would not improve transit times for the letters / parcels with correct postage much less a no stamp or incomplete address.

It's hard for the USPS to compete on cost with carriers that don't have to go to every door in the land that has a piece of mail every day. Fed Ex and UPS can cherry pick lanes with high density and build extra transit time into light density lanes so they get the required density every second or third day in order to make the lane profitable.
Well said! I note also that some of the parcel delivery services cover the “last mile” delivery issue by contracting to hand that off to…the USPS.

Best,
DeVern

Yet, the cost to mail a letter via the USPS is still much cheaper than using UPS or FedEx. $0.73 for someone to pick up a letter at your house (or place of work) and deliver it to the addressee is still a bargain.

Now that inflation is under control, maybe everything should go up 8%…. Just to be fair. :brow
Cue the Unicorns, 🦄 watch for the rainbows 🌈
:eek
OM

Can you imagine how expensive postage would be if they privatize the post office?
I can. I go to the doctor sometimes. Every other major industrialized nation has a national health care program for their citizens. We have private insurance and profit generated at every step, costing every American more. Why? Why is medical bankruptcy a thing?

I have a power company that’s a profit making entity. Theyve raised rates 10% every year for the last four years to pay for the chunks of the state they caused to burn.

Of course, they deferred maintenance to make a profit, which kicked the whole mess off. And now, they have to protect their profits so we get to pay for their ineptitude as they payout billions in damages.

Not everything in this country needs to generate profit.

And because I need healthcare, I’m quite aware of the effect on my costs when they’re a half dozen entities making money every time I get sick. Or I pay more for my prescriptions because we have outlawed Social Security’s ability to negotiate drug prices like every other country in the world does. Instead of $5 for my inhaler, I pay $400. Why?

I love capitalism. I’m decently good at it. But monetizing things like the postal service - required by the Constitution -, health care and energy systems hasn’t worked out well for us.

Back