• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vario Cases?

collingsbob

Whats the consensus on the Vario cases for the 1300? I’ve read of some issues with them not unlocking, or not locking..and of them being easily dented.
Does anyone here have an opinion, or thoughts on them before I order a set of SW-Motech Trax Ion cases?

The Vario cases for the 1300 are plastic. The silver panel might be aluminum.
I don't know if that panel is replaceable.

OP;
Where do you plan on riding the GS? Pavement only, off-pavement, or off-road? BMW is offering in the new Varios luggage that offers the locking of hard cases coupled with expand/shrink capability similar to soft bags, and with other features like central locking, interior lighting, and built-in USB charging. If your riding is mostly on pavement and you like the features, the new Varios will likely be a good choice. My only concerns in highway use would be waterproofness, tipover survivability, and how well the crank mechanism will function after many miles of dirt or bug guts accumulating in the expansion joint.

If you do a fair amount of off-pavement or off-road riding there are other considerations, like the accumulation of dirt/sand/mud in the expansion joint and its effect on case operation. Mount durability is another question if riding off-road. And finally, the Varios have plastic bodies so in a real get-off one is likely to have a “yard sale” scattered across the pavement. A good friend had the west desert experience of using duct tape, Swiss Army knife awl, zip ties, and shoelaces to stitch together enough of what was left of a set of original Vario cases to get contents hauled back to civilization after an off-pavement get-off.

For me, I run OEM plastic panniers on all my BMW road bikes and find them great, but my personal preference for off-pavement GS bikes is aluminum panniers and for off-road use it’s soft bags. Each of my aluminum panniers has a flashlight stuffed inside a storage pouch mounted inside the lid, which is my solution for interior lighting, and I use removable bag liners so “central locking” is when I tote them into my motel room.

But that’s my choice-you have to do you and no one can call that decision for you.

Best,
DeVern

I ordered my R1300GS last month and will go with the Varios. I have never had them before, but I like the features they offer and how clean the bike looks with them off. Like I said in your luggage poll thread, I have only owned soft luggage in the past (Mosko Moto, Wolfman, Kriega) and have used those products on more off road oriented bikes (690, AT). I do not plan any real off roading with the 1300 so I think the Varios will fit the bill nicely. If I were planning to take it places I used to take my 690 I would install racks and use the BC35s I already own. Right now all I can go off is reviews and anecdotes posted online since it looks like we won't get our hands on our bikes or any varios until 2024.

I was at the dealers today to look at the Connected Ride unit..while I was there I got the delivery date for my 1300 - February..and I had a look at the Vario cases..they look pretty sharp!

Back