• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rey Keying Tumblers for Side Cases

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I've acquired a set of aluminum side cases. Looking at youtube videos, I was able to take out the lock cylinders and determine which tumblers/wafers (I don't know what their official name is) I need. I know I can call a dealer on Tuesday, but I'm curious if they sell the additional tumblers/wafers. Does anybody here know the answer to that question?

Only as part & parcel of a replacement lock cylinder. But sometimes dealers have an assortment on hand from various rekeying operations, and a good locksmith will also be likely to help.

Best,
DeVern

You may just need to rearrange the wafers.
Quite a few threads in the “Similar Threads” pane at the bottom of the page. Probably some using the Tag Cloud as well.
OM

Locksmiths

There are locksmiths and there are LockSmiths, LOL, if you live near a larger city, concentrate on looking for a smith that concentrates on car systems. Better yet one that works on foreign cars. So far, I have not been disappointed in choosing such a smith.

Not every locksmith has the skills, tools or parts you may need. St.

There are locksmiths and there are LockSmiths, LOL, if you live near a larger city, concentrate on looking for a smith that concentrates on car systems. Better yet one that works on foreign cars. So far, I have not been disappointed in choosing such a smith.

Not every locksmith has the skills, tools or parts you may need. St.

Good point.

my experience

Believe it or not, I found out not all locksmiths are created equal when I tried to have BMW folding stock and straight key blanks cut to fit my bikes. Nah, the local guy up the road said no, I don't cut steel keys. Four home style smiths later I wised up and started looking at car guys. I found a guy who advertised exotic car keying and smithing. Bingo! now I have a bunch of spare keys. LOL, half of them are for the RS which is in the grave yard. St.

You can always simply leave out a tumbler or two. I don't believe security with the cases is a big deal. I never hear of anyone commenting that their motorcycle was "broken into". They just steal the whole motorcycle.

I know a guy that travels all over in a Harley. We got talking about key fobs and security. He told me his keys are tied inside the top case where there were put during assembly. He has never locked his motorcycle.

Last edited:
You can always simply leave out a tumbler of two.
A point I was trying to make. :dunno
These are pretty simple locks probably designed for easy of dealer re-keying with the purchase of cases and no machinery needed.
OM

If I can ever get unpacked, I might have some additional bits for you, Jeff. I just keyed 6 locks for my GS' ADV bags.

If I can find them in the next couple days, I'll send you a DM. How many do you need?

If I can ever get unpacked, I might have some additional bits for you, Jeff. I just keyed 6 locks for my GS' ADV bags.

If I can find them in the next couple days, I'll send you a DM. How many do you need?

Thanks Dave. I sent you a PM

These are pretty simple locks probably designed for easy of dealer re-keying with the purchase of cases and no machinery needed.

Some of the barrels have locking bars that hold the wafers in, and you need to pry the silver cover off the barrel to extract that bar and allow the wafer replacement. So no, those aren't items that dealers will easily adjust. They will just take the whole thing over to the grinding wheel. You can buy kits (with loose wafers) and you can buy pre-keyed barrels. I assume the pre-keyed ones have the locking bar and the kits don't, but I have never ordered them myself. The short black barrels (for fuel caps) don't have the locking bar.

Some of the barrels have locking bars that hold the wafers in, and you need to pry the silver cover off the barrel to extract that bar and allow the wafer replacement. So no, those aren't items that dealers will easily adjust. They will just take the whole thing over to the grinding wheel. You can buy kits (with loose wafers) and you can buy pre-keyed barrels. I assume the pre-keyed ones have the locking bar and the kits don't, but I have never ordered them myself. The short black barrels (for fuel caps) don't have the locking bar.

Sure Anton. As no bike or case system was specified, I went from what I watched (and my extensive locksmith experience) when the plastic style Vario cases on my F800GS three piece case system was put together.
It was a real nice system, convenient for sales associates to get a customer going.
As always, thanks for your input.
Gary

Good news. My local dealer had plenty of the wafers and a few extra springs. They gave them to me free of charge. The locks are all rekeyed. However, my key was very tight in one of the cylinders. The key for the bike they came off fit fine, but mine was tight. This happen to anyone? I think the solution is to get a separate/standard key (not the flip out one on the keyless remote).

Good news. My local dealer had plenty of the wafers and a few extra springs. They gave them to me free of charge. The locks are all rekeyed. However, my key was very tight in one of the cylinders. The key for the bike they came off fit fine, but mine was tight. This happen to anyone? I think the solution is to get a separate/standard key (not the flip out one on the keyless remote).

Tight going in/out, or tight when turning? Possibly a wafer sticking and not being lifted all the way?

Best,
DeVern

Back