• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Urgent! Need your help-r1150rt battery replacement

. Oh no! Just my luck. ............... So once I pull the panels (I assume only the left and lower valence) I should be looking for the throttle cable where it attaches to adjuster which sits on the throttle body? It sounds like the adjuster is a cradle for the throttle cable. Is that the basic idea?

If you don't perform the relearn procedure then the bike will "learn" the throttle positions on its own over time. The procedure just speeds up the process and establishes the limits of throttle position in the mapping. You don't create a problem by performing the relearn procedure.

The throttle cables attach to the throttle bodies on both sides of the bike. Either one of them could have been pulled out of the ferrule. You will have to check the cables seated in the adjuster on both sides.

If you don't perform the relearn procedure then the bike will "learn" the throttle positions on its own over time. The procedure just speeds up the process and establishes the limits of throttle position in the mapping. You don't create a problem by performing the relearn procedure.

The throttle cables attach to the throttle bodies on both sides of the bike. Either one of them could have been pulled out of the ferrule. You will have to check the cables seated in the adjuster on both sides.

When you say BOTH SIDES, I understand the are two throttle bodies, but do I need to remove the Tupperware panels from both sides of the bike to access each throttle body, or can both be accessed from just the left side? I'm hoping with the seat removed and only the left side panel removed I can access both throttle bodies.

You'll have to remove both sides. If you only removed the left side to replace the battery. I would start there first.

You'll have to remove both sides. If you only removed the left side to replace the battery. I would start there first.

Ok. Will do. Yes, I only removed the left side. I had better get my coffee pot clean and all ready for the morning, because looks like I have my work cut out for me. Boy I sure do loathe taking those panels off.

My fellow Oilhead Brethren,

Well here's an update on where things stand. I pulled off both panels and and inspected the ferrel which supports the throttle cable on both sides, and everything checks out ok. The throttle cables were seated in the ferrel and wrapped around the cradle which rotates upon its axis, attached the the throttle body. No idea why I'm getting rough idle all of a sudden, hopefully Motronic will relearn and smooth out as it was before. Then, as I stood there staring at all these pieces laid out on ym garage floor the thought occurred to me that this might be the perfect time to offer up an AF-Xied. I've read very positive reviews and saw a video on Youtube of an RT owner named Doug (I think) from the Illinois BMW Riders Club who installed a unit on his bike. Install looks super simple and from what I understand, since my bike is an 1150RT, not an 1100RT as his was, the install is supposedly just plug and play. Any thoughts on that? Recommendations? With both panels removed, would I need to fully remove the gas tank to access the O2 sensor plug, or could I merely loosen and tip it forward to gain access?

Second question, random and totally unrelated... Have any of you folks painted the inner fairing on your RT? I've seen lots of Harley's with the inner fairing painted and it occurred to me that a classic piano black might look really nice on this bike. Then again, the reflection from the sun might not be as pleasant compared to the matte finish. Not sure. What do you guys think?

Harley!!!!!

Funny! Yes, it seems to be more common on the full dressers, but a simple piano black finish might look really nice. Not sure...I can't decide. I might be swayed in that direction if I saw an example of an RT or LT that had that done.

Back