• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

UPS can really screw things up

drw2ge

BMW FanBoi
Whatever you do... don't give UPS the wrong ZIP CODE. I needed to send my ZUMO 660 back to Garmin due to bluetooth issues... I sent it out on 2/22.. it is still going round and round, they keep trying to deliver it to the wrong address.. it is still 10 hours away from whre it should be and the date of THursday is not when it's going to be delivered.. just when it MAY get to Olathe, KS.... TOTALLY F*CKED UP... Grrrrrrr!!#&**(%&$&

Scheduled Delivery Updated To:
Thursday, 03/03/2011, By End of Day
Last Location:
Northbrook, IL, United States, Tuesday, 03/01/2011
Change Delivery
Add Notification

Additional Information
Shipped/Billed On:02/22/2011Type:packageWeight:1.00 lb

Shipment Progress
Location Date Local Time ActivityWhat's This?
Northbrook, IL, United States 03/01/2011 9:01 A.M. Incorrect routing at UPS facility.
03/01/2011 6:43 A.M. Out For Delivery
03/01/2011 4:58 A.M. Arrival Scan
Hodgkins, IL, United States 03/01/2011 4:21 A.M. Departure Scan
Hodgkins, IL, United States 02/28/2011 10:57 P.M. Arrival Scan
Northbrook, IL, United States 02/28/2011 10:17 P.M. Departure Scan
02/28/2011 4:57 A.M. Out For Delivery
Northbrook, IL, United States 02/25/2011 6:53 A.M. Incorrect routing at UPS facility.
02/25/2011 4:59 A.M. Out For Delivery
Northbrook, IL, United States 02/24/2011 7:47 A.M. Postal code listed for the receiver is incorrect. UPS is attempting to obtain correct postal code and complete delivery. / The address has been corrected. The delivery has been rescheduled.
02/24/2011 7:47 A.M. Out For Delivery
02/24/2011 6:41 A.M. Arrival Scan
Chicago, IL, United States 02/24/2011 5:59 A.M. Departure Scan
02/24/2011 3:45 A.M. Out For Delivery
02/24/2011 2:21 A.M. Arrival Scan
Hodgkins, IN, United States 02/24/2011 1:50 A.M. Departure Scan
Hodgkins, IN, United States 02/23/2011 4:43 P.M. Arrival Scan
Maumee, OH, United States 02/23/2011 1:50 P.M. Departure Scan
02/23/2011 12:37 P.M. Arrival Scan
New Stanton, PA, United States 02/23/2011 8:01 A.M. Departure Scan
02/23/2011 6:33 A.M. Arrival Scan
Philadelphia, PA, United States 02/23/2011 12:31 A.M. Departure Scan
Philadelphia, PA, United States 02/22/2011 11:00 P.M. Arrival Scan
Lawnside, NJ, United States 02/22/2011 10:26 P.M. Departure Scan
02/22/2011 9:26 P.M. Origin Scan
02/22/2011 7:32 P.M. Pickup Scan
United States 02/22/2011 4:28 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Last edited:
You gave UPS the wrong zip code and UPS screwed it up? Do you know what happens if you give US Mail the wrong zip code? It'll come back 10 days later as undeliverable.

I agree that once you tell them YOU screwed up they should be able to get it corrected and deliver it, but come on, the screw up was yours!

You think Tom?

it's caught in a loop going round and round till I interceded and they want me to pay $14.00 for a re-route request... I don't deny that the wrong zip code was placed on it... (I didn't process the order, we have a UPS account at work and our secretary missed one digit) On the second day they (UPS) even knew where it was to go and advised of the correct zip... yet it continues to go round and round...

Seems I've had wrong zip codes on US mail and it was delivered..

This is ridiculous... a TWO day delivery is now looking like 10 days to 2 weeks.

NOTICE DATE 2/25 WHERE THEY STATE THEY HAVE THE CORRECT ZIP CODE:
"Northbrook, IL, United States 02/24/2011 7:47 A.M. Postal code listed for the receiver is incorrect. UPS is attempting to obtain correct postal code and complete delivery. / The address has been corrected. The delivery has been rescheduled."

The issue has become that they have CORRECTED the zip code issue but can't seem to get it on the truck to KS, now I'm being asked to pay $14.00!!!

Part of the problem here is that all those progress scans are not scans of the actual package. They scan the whole load.

And yeah, a few months ago I did have a package with the wrong zip come back 10 days later marked as undeliverable and sent by US Mail. Coincidentally, it was my old Zumo, sold to a guy in California.

Hope it gets there. As to the fee, if they won't waive it, I don't suppose there's much you can do. I had to pay to ship my box a second time.

UPS and the USPS

Both of these entities are using zip codes exclusively these days I guess, but that was not the case in the late 80's. I had a package of parts sent to me from CA to Arkansas where I live... The dingbat who took my order or whoever it was that actually addressed the shipping label had the zip correct, but instead of using the abbreviation for Arkansas like I told her (AR), she decided to spell it out and wrote on the label "Marion, Arizona". It took me three weeks to get it delivered! Seems it went to Arizona three times before the post office got it right. Considering they came up with the zip code concept in the first place, I thought this was rather shameless of them.

It still surprises me that nearly 50 years after the zip codes and the two letter state abreviations came into use there are still so many who do not know that Arkansas is AR, Arizona is AZ, Alaska is AK and Alabama is AL.... The only states I see more incorrect use in are the ones that begin with M.

Wezul, 2bikeMIke.. I see it differently.

"Northbrook, IL, United States 02/24/2011 7:47 A.M. Postal code listed for the receiver is incorrect. UPS is attempting to obtain correct postal code and complete delivery. / The address has been corrected. The delivery has been rescheduled."

UPS has known since 2/24 (2 days after receiving the package) that the ZIP was wrong and they then KNEW the correct zip.. (Granted, OUR FAULT.. zip was supposed to be 66022, secretary put 60022..)

BUT, and this is my point, the package is/was caught in UPS h*ll... it was NEVER corrected and sent onto it's final destination. UPS just keeps sending it out EVERYDAY on the truck to the same location to then be returned.. to go out the next day for the same "merry-go-round."

When does UPS become accountable, Never? So it's okay? and it's all MY PROBLEM/FAULT? That is exactly the kind of attitude that allows companies to deliver sh*t service and not be held accountable.. (If I treat patients and screw up, guess what... I'm held accountable -ASAP-, by lawyers)

Had I not called after seeing this thing go round and round, how long would this have gone on for? ...and why am I being charged $14.00 to fix this.. it would be cheaper for them to return it to me and to resend it.. (h*ll, it only cost $6.00 to ship it originally.. and distance is the same)

@copandengr: Intelligence of the American population is one thing you can never underestimate... (nor their misunderstanding ;-)

Modern mechanization is what got you. Human involvement and judgement is not used any more with either UPS or the mail. Just a box number and zip code will get your mail delivered promptly where a complete address and incorrect zip code will get it sent back. Years ago, someone mailed my mother a letter addressed to Myrl, Rt 1, Marion, Va. She got the mail without delay because the mailman knew she was the only Myrl on his route.

I live on the "hard road" and there are two neighbors behind me that live up the hollow (holler to us hillbillies) behind me. The roads are not good in the winter so my porch is the community delivery depot. UPS, Fed Ex, USPS, etc. all make deliveries and we have never hve a problem. Living in the sticks, we all receive a lot of UPS and Fed Ex packages.

You got the zip code wrong. I don't know what you expected. Try getting a part number, paint code, Credit Card number, Social Security number and many other numbers wrong and see what happens.

@copandengr: Intelligence of the American population is one thing you can never underestimate... (nor their misunderstanding ;-)

The sense of entitlement of the American population is one thing you can never underestimate.

You came on hear to rant about bad service from a company, meanwhile due to a legitimate error on your part, they require additional time and funds to move your item. There is a significant distance between kansas and illinois, you know.:violin

My thought is you ought to pay for the additional cost, otherwise UPS just eats the cost on this one, and passes it along to me and everyone else in the form of higher fees down the line. That's the new american way I guess....:scratch

/rant
Now for some reasonable advice... call UPS and get put in contact with the dispatch office for the truck the item is on (this is a bit difficult and varies location to location, but can be done either through their national 1-800 number or googling the IL location). Talk directly to that shop and explain... make them print out and put new stickers on the item itself -- this will remove it from the load, ensure that scans dont continue the reroute loop, and get it resent. Be prepared and willing to pay the UPS cost to go from IL to KS. Yes this will take some of your time, yes this may cost a couple more bucks, but it should work and get it going where you want. The reason I know this is that I did the exact same thing once, where amazon auto-filled in my previous zipcode instead of the one I was currently at. ;) Good Luck.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration.

-You recognize you made an error
-The error was caught by UPS, but seemingly they can't deliver even so
-They want more money than redelivery, which I don't like. I agree, they should return to sender and you resend it.

I had a similar issue with FED EX. I sent a package, then realized I wanted it to go to a COMPLETELY different address, different state. I called FED EX and they sent it to my new destination on time (well, maybe a day late, but time was not an issue) and they did not charge me at all.

So I can agree that UPS should be able to handle this mistake better than they are. After all, I can't believe this doesn't happen every day. FED EX was awesome! (But UPS is cheaper!)

The sense of entitlement of the American population is one thing you can never underestimate.

No sense of entitlement here.. A sense of receiving decent service

You came on hear to rant about bad service from a company, meanwhile due to a legitimate error on your part, they require additional time and funds to move your item. There is a significant distance between kansas and illinois, you know.:violin

Blaming your secretary for the mistake is extra lame... if one of my subordinates makes a mistake, I stand by them and we work past it, not point the finger at them. Unless you are in the motorcycle GPS business, my guess is this was a personal errand for you, not a professional one. Maybe you are a big enough deal to pay someone to do what the rest of us do on our own, thats not for me to judge, but if it is that important, check it yourself.

NEVER blamed my secretary... People make mistakes all the time, including me for posting this on here! ;-) .. I stand by her 100% In fact, I told her it was my fault as I should have checked it

My thought is you ought to pay for the additional cost, otherwise UPS just eats the cost on this one, and passes it along to me and everyone else in the form of higher fees down the line. That's the new american way I guess....:scratch

Don't agree with you on that one... UPS maybe eating the cost of going round and round and round due to automation hell. Doesn't anyone get service without paying for something??? In my business I routinely eat THOUSANDS as "a cost of doing business".. and NO, I don't pass it on to others.. it is what it is.. I believe you give more, to get more

/rant
Now for some reasonable advice... call UPS and get put in contact with the dispatch office for the truck the item is on (this is a bit difficult and varies location to location, but can be done either through their national 1-800 number or googling the IL location). Talk directly to that shop and explain... make them print out and put new stickers on the item itself -- this will remove it from the load, ensure that scans dont continue the reroute loop, and get it resent. Be prepared and willing to pay the UPS cost to go from IL to KS. Yes this will take some of your time, yes this may cost a couple more bucks, but it should work and get it going where you want. The reason I know this is that I did the exact same thing once, where amazon auto-filled in my previous zipcode instead of the one I was currently at. ;) Good Luck.

Already done....How do you I think I HOPEFULLY got it out of the UPS Merry-Go-Round?

I understand your frustration.

-You recognize you made an error
-The error was caught by UPS, but seemingly they can't deliver even so
-They want more money than redelivery, which I don't like. I agree, they should return to sender and you resend it.

I had a similar issue with FED EX. I sent a package, then realized I wanted it to go to a COMPLETELY different address, different state. I called FED EX and they sent it to my new destination on time (well, maybe a day late, but time was not an issue) and they did not charge me at all.

So I can agree that UPS should be able to handle this mistake better than they are. After all, I can't believe this doesn't happen every day. FED EX was awesome! (But UPS is cheaper!)

Thank You RoboRider.. All I'm asking for is good service.

NEVER blamed my secretary... People make mistakes all the time, including me for posting this on here! ;-) .. I stand by her 100% In fact, I told her it was my fault as I should have checked it

I reread and so you didnt... I apologize for my misinterpretation, and removed the text.
I do agree that UPS should be giving you better service than they are, it just appeared that you were marginalizing the root cause of the zipcode error.

Luckily we all have a wallet and can use it how we wish amongst about 4 major shipping companies... Maybe let brown know what it *didnt* do for you today...

Back