• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

50 States Ranked for Highest Motorcycle Ownership

I think it has to do with the demographics; a lot more poor people where there is such population density. So that reduces the per capita.

Another demographic: many urban types don't even own motor vehicles, esp. in places like NYC where it can be a hassle. In the 3rd world, 2 wheels (motor or not), becomes The Way!!! to get somewhere.
For my generation was much the same as the "soccer mom" hadn't been invented yet.My parents didn't buy a car until I was about 8 years old. My wifes family was much the same-both of us had grandparents that did have a car. One classmate had a Cushman in Jr high(red boxy scoot model, not the racy Eagle!) and never appealed to me as I could easily outrun him with my 3 speed "English bike"!:thumb Another guy from the "ducktail crowd" had a HD Aermacchi which DID!!!!!!!!!!!! catch my eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lived a few blocks from the dingy HD dealer in Topeka,KS and sat on one, when I could until the crochety owner ran us off...:)
Another demo. factor is age-Lots of bikes in places like FL,AZ & CA where many retired & aged folks live but they don't often ride a MC on nursing home outings, more like a van to Walmart or the park?
Ebay auctions will also show the "other demopgraphic", i.e., the fact that many own a bike, yet never ride it.

I think it has to do with the demographics; a lot more poor people where there is such population density. So that reduces the per capita.

For folks that live in a big city in apartments or condos, there are larger issues than income. There are reasons many higher income city dwellers don't even own cars. Some are:

1. Where do you store it?
2. Where do you park it both at your residence and when you go somewhere?
3. How do you keep it from being stolen both at your residence and when you go somewhere and have to leave?
4. Where do you ride it?
5. Where do you get it serviced and repaired?

Back