• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Two for One Quick Cheap Easy Horn Upgrade

Tzgo

It is no secret the horns on these bikes are pathetic. I found a quick cheap easy solution. I bought a new pair of BMW 535 horns, HELLA 012010881 Black 12V BX Trumpet Horn Kit. The kit includes a pair of horns with one rated 400Hz and a second rated 500Hz. The set of horns on Amazon cost $25.86. I installed one on my 2014 R1200GSA and the other on my friend's 2014 R1200GS.

Installation - 1)The new horns come with a bracket, but removing the stock bracket on the bike looks to be a lot of work so I removed the stock horn nut from the stock bracket. 2) The center mounting nut can be loosened and removed from the stock horn with a 13mm wrench. 3) With the horn loose you can remove the connector by depressing on the tab release latch and pull the plug from the horn. 4) The new horn is slightly larger so I needed to bend the stock mounting bracket outwards about 5/16 inch / 8mm to make a little room. 5) These new horns use the same connector configuration as the factory bike horn, but the new connector was slightly tighter and it took a little effort to get it lined up before it mated. 6) Once the connector is mated you can put the horn in position. 7) The stock mount has a 8mm hole and the new horn comes with a 6mm mounting stud so I used a 6mm locking flange nut to hold it down. The nut that holds the bracket to the new horn is not a lock nut so you can either thread lock compound or replace it with a lock nut. 8) Position the horn with the output facing down and tighten the lock nut with a 10mm wrench. 9) Move the handlebars left and right to make sure you have clearance to the new larger horn. Both the GS and GSA had at least 1 inch clearance so there was lots of room.

For less than $14 bucks per bike this upgrade is much louder and better sounding than the stock horn. The GSA install took me 10 min and the GS install took 5 min.
new vs old horns 1.jpg
BMW Horns 1.jpg
BMW horn GSA.jpg

Last edited:
BMW Horns

It is no secret the horns on these bikes are pathetic. I found a quick cheap easy solution. I bought a new pair of BMW 535 horns, HELLA 012010881 Black 12V BX Trumpet Horn Kit. The kit includes a pair of horns with one rated 400Hz and a second rated 500Hz. The set of horns on Amazon cost $18.77. I installed one on my 2014 R1200GSA and the other on my friend's 2014 R1200GS.

Installation - 1)The new horns come with a bracket, but removing the stock bracket on the bike looks to be a lot of work so I removed the stock horn nut from the stock bracket. 2) The center mounting nut can be loosened and removed from the stock horn with a 13mm wrench. 3) With the horn loose you can remove the connector by depressing on the tab release latch and pull the plug from the horn. 4) The new horn is slightly larger so I needed to bend the stock mounting bracket outwards about 5/16 inch / 8mm to make a little room. 5) These new horns use the same connector configuration as the factory bike horn, but the new connector was slightly tighter and it took a little effort to get it lined up before it mated. 6) Once the connector is mated you can put the horn in position. 7) The stock mount has a 8mm hole and the new horn comes with a 6mm mounting stud so I used a 6mm locking flange nut to hold it down. The nut that holds the bracket to the new horn is not a lock nut so you can either thread lock compound or replace it with a lock nut. 8) Position the horn with the output facing down and tighten the lock nut with a 10mm wrench. 9) Move the handlebars left and right to make sure you have clearance to the new larger horn. Both the GS and GSA had at least 1 inch clearance so there was lots of room.

For less than $12 bucks per bike this upgrade is much louder and better sounding than the stock horn. The GSA install took me 10 min and the GS install took 5 min.

Do you have a link to the horns on Amazon?

Bill

I was not sure if this site allowed live web links so I left it off. I also updated the price as it appears to be $25.86 for the pair of horns now.

Last edited:
Totally worth it!

Thanks for the tip. I ordered the Hella horns and it took about ten minutes to swap it out. What a difference!! I chose to remove the mounting bracket from the bike and use the one that came with the horn (after bending it slightly to center the larger unit in the fork).

One of the first mod I did when I got my 1250
I used the OEM bracket that I had to bend to clear the fork
Got mine from Pelican parts

I had this upgrade before on my 07 but with a double horn setup (Hi & Lo)

Back