• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

QUESTION - what is height of stock HEAD LIGHT BRACKET

gtgt_bangbang

QUESTION - What is height of stock un-laden Northern European HEAD LIGHT BRACKETTE ?

Im installing a TOP FORK CROSS BRACE and having a little fit up problem .

Everything was going so fine but theres a gap visible in pix between top brace and adjusting nut during last mock up .

( mock up; I still have to fake the top bearing's height contribution to the complete yoke stack , using some thin washers under cup here ,
old bearing is long gone so I cant just open its ID to make removing fork easier during fit up. New bearing way too tight to want to drive out for fun in case I have to move the fork legs again. Took some steps to assure those were parallel .. )

Problem is probably no more mysterious than the head light brackets are too tall, nimrod but I dont have the original measurements (ie before trimming BRACKET) and like to check before taking some more metal off. This thin stuff is hard to put back on if theres an actual problem struggling to get out elsewhere !

The fork tubes extend 160mm through the lower yoke (measures from the flat below where the signal stalk sits.)
The tubes are too short in the top brace and again a shorter Bracket would erase that too, but I was pretty sure I did modeled it pretty well and took off that amount accurately. Apparently not. dunno it was awhile ago,

thus a Help Request! - Can some one please measure accurately (calipers ) the height of a HEAD LIGHT BRACKET (#7 in parts pix)
without the grommets of course - just the as-original part in metal. This is a late 70s 100 , as if that makes jack squat.

If ya tell me that height , I promise a couple top shelf cheapskate tips that helped doing this job mo'better and muy easier than I've seen around.

BMW R100S fork brace gap - 1.jpeg

Attachments

• BMW R100S fork brace diagram - 1.jpeg
    BMW R100S fork brace diagram - 1.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I remember cutting down the headlight brackets to mount a cast top triple clamp on my R100. I think I remember taking it all off the top. That said, I don't think there is any reason, functionally, to ensure the headlight is at the exact stock height once you are done.

I can say that you will find the difference in handling noticeable. I did and that was after putting on a Telefix. If I built another, I'd start with the top triple clamp and expect not to need a fork brace.

My /6 with stock top plate has brackets that are pretty exactly 6" tall.

My /7 with San Jose upper triple has brackets that are cut to 5 7/16" as best as I can measure where they sit inside the Luftmeister fairing. All cut from the top.

When I installed my new top brace I had the trim the headlight brackets to get the clearance for the brace to seat properly. When I trimmed the brackets I did it on the low end as there was not enough material to do it at the top as it interfered with the ear of the bracket.

I understood that with the Toaster Tan brace, instructions were provided on how much to cut the headlight ears.

Back