• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Twilight zone Sort Of

B

BFish

I’ll title this tale as a ride into the twilight zone. It’s not scary, but it makes one think of dissimilar similarities. Yeah, that sounds good. So here we go. BTW-timeline is Thursday 11/8 thru Saturday 11/10.

I needed a work break and my wife is up to her ears at work. She was going to be working late and most of Saturday. Grass grows at a less rapid pace when it cools down so mowing can wait and in the back of my mind I’ve been wanting to do this for sometime.

I grew up in a small village in the finger lakes region of central New York named Union Springs. (http://co.cayuga.ny.us/unionsprings/). Nice little town, but I never returned after attending college other than to visit. Many years ago it came to my attention that a town of the same name exists in Alabama (http://www.unionspringsalabama.com/).. My destination.

Left work around noon on Thursday and made plans to visit my niece in Gainesville, Fl (Gator!) and take her to dinner. First part of the trip was I-95 (Melbourne, Fl) to the beachline (FKA the beeline) and pick up the turnpike in Orlando. Not problem. From the t-pike jumped on 75 at wildwood and 175 mi later checked in here around 330pm.

1966409227_41a607074f.jpg

Pic of Anne and the BMW. She graduates in December.

1967242692_ab1bec53e5.jpg

Borrowed her laptop to check my office emails then hit the sack early. Those of you who know me tolerate my bad habit of getting up early. Was on the road Friday at 630 am and it was freakin cold. Must say that I enjoy the interstates and pounding up 75 in 35* weather at 80mph was invigorating. No traffic. This part of the state is so very different from where I live. I was digging the rolling nature of I-75.

Did stop at the Georgia welcome center approx 100 miles into the ride to add a layer and took this shot.

1966423533_8ab586f0a6.jpg

From there is was off to Valdosta, Ga and off the interstate. Picked up rt 133 thru Moultrie and then to Albany. Do any of you realize that it gets colder as you head north? Well, it was so cold I swear it had snowed the night before.
1967256758_566d63c3cc.jpg

Actually the cotton harvesting was full bore. Wish I’d taken just one pic of the Cotton Gins I passed. Too many to count. Did stop and “pick” some for my wife. She will now knit a very, tiny sweater. The distance from Gainesville to Union Springs is just under 300mi. Northwest of Albany route 82 would take my to Eufaula, AL. Gorgeous little town as can be seen by the town square. Union Springs is getting closer.
1966441523_c4afee04d5.jpg

1967277036_3a5627638c.jpg

1967285380_f4a94d5a33.jpg

I enjoyed every road I was on. Some truck traffic, but all in all I had a blast thru Ga and AL.

Made it to Union Springs. Here are few pics. Dissimilarly similar to my town. So much so I stayed for prolly 30 minutes!
1966480319_09d7db0934.jpg

1966495173_8b6ea6c275.jpg

1966501377_72fddb4970.jpg

1967332050_1a6383f89f.jpg

1967340108_36f12ded2e.jpg

1967336254_38223bf872.jpg

Off to points south for the evening and, I must say, the roads from Union Springs to Dothan were a blast, especially route 29 south. Since exiting the interstate my plan was all back/secondary roads and ‘bama has plenty. Turns out I made it to Tallahassee Friday pm. Didn’t bother contacting anyone as I had no computer or phone numbers. Total miles for the day was 500.

1967347116_f75c804626.jpg

Left Saturday am at o’dark thirty.

1967352794_adaadbd710.jpg

Plan was staying on west side of Florida from Tally and I stuck to it. Here are a few pics.
1966529453_c350356358.jpg

1967361134_5f84b8c95d.jpg

Perry, FL

1967369720_d8117c3496.jpg

Best ‘cue around. Hope and I stopped here on way to FSU/Duke game. In Fanning Springs. Cranking at 8am.

Stayed on 27-Alt most of the way but in Williston took 41 to Dunellon then headed east to 75. From there is was an uneventful hammerfest down 75/turnpike/east/west thru Orlando/beachline to 95 and home.

Please look carefully at the beginning and ending odometer reading. Didn’t notice this until I uploaded the pics. Thought I had uploaded the same one 2x’s.

1966400165_0d0d4a4d37.jpg

1967378262_d30d14b78d.jpg

nice but you did all that in only 119 miles? (upper one reads 61 and lower pic shows 180) man thats some fast riding (you do know that time slow down the faster you move, right?) but I didn't realize if affected the distance too!:D ya learn something new every day, dontcha?

Nice lookin neice by the by, what a great smile!

RM

Thanks Brian, cool stuff! I grew up in AL, but not that part of the state so it was interesting to see.

Thanks, a part of the US I don't know much about but I like the dry roads and green stuff. I'm gonna have to check it out, oh, like that bike!!!!:clap

Nice report, thanks for the pix. I spent four years in Gainesville attending UF a few :whistle years ago. Always thought north Fla was very pretty with the rolling hills. I haven't been there in many years so enjoyed your report.

Are you guys kidding?? I HOPE so! He did 1000 miles exactly on this trip - kinda neat, really. You're looking at the tripmeter, Rocketman, not the odometer :nono

Brian,

Thoroughly entertaining report. And I agree: Your niece is a cutie. Congrats to her on her impending graduation.

You'd fit in well with our group. The guys I ride with have 100 miles done and are eating breakfast at 6:30.

I'm really in need of this kind of "lost" solo trip--I like your reference to as "Twilight Zone"-like. I also now feel as though I've been to Union Springs.

Thanks very much for having us along.

Last edited:
thanks for the kind words.:) only recently learned how to post pix. as far as the "solo" trip....i agree...needed one bad. i was only gone for 48 hours and it could've been less, but wanted to take the niece to dinner, which made my first half day only about 2.5 hours of riding. other than that it was riding and sleeping. never even stopped for a proper lunch. ate some "bars" i carried with me while i refueled. it was also the 1st time i didn't plan a route on the gps. just had a couple places to ride thru as markers.

i recco an easy, short trip like this for anyone...especially if you haven't taken a trip yet...and solo is good sometimes.:fight

Back