• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TRUCKS!!!! Let's See 'em and Hear About 'em

I know I’ll get flamed for the comment. [emoji3]

It’s a car unless you can put plywood between the wheel wells and close the tailgate.

I run a 6.5 foot box and my truck probably sees more stuff loaded in the rear than most trades. 2019 Ford Lariat, 5 liter. I am a HVAC salesman and haul product to my customers I go see. Every morning I leave with the rear full and sometimes overflowing, sometimes the back seat is full too, (crew cab), somedays I am pulling a 16 foot enclosed trailer full, by mid afternoon it is empty. The next morning I start all over again. Many days 450 miles pulling the trailer, 12 hour days. Don't knock running a 6.5 box!

I will admit the Lariat is kind of a sissified truck, but when I spend all day, every day in it I want it comfortable, it is my office.

I bought in 10 months ago and it has 45,000 miles in the clock.

I can do that. But you'd laugh if I called it a truck.

View attachment 80196

I have to laugh, only because my F150 broke down on the road and I needed something to haul. The only thing they had was a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I as actually quite impressed with it. The rear seats folded into the floor so the cargo floor was flat. The weight capacity was a bit lacking for anything serious, but it got me by for a few days.

I have to laugh, only because my F150 broke down on the road and I needed something to haul. The only thing they had was a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I as actually quite impressed with it. The rear seats folded into the floor so the cargo floor was flat. The weight capacity was a bit lacking for anything serious, but it got me by for a few days.

The minivan is actually a very practical and versatile vehicle. Their primary limitation is low tow capacity. Beyond that they are very capable.

Respect the van! 👍

Not unlike the bikes represented by the owners here each one serves the owner's purpose. None better, none worse. I have two trucks. One a '94 F150, and the other, this one a '48 Power Wagon. Not sure how many pieces of plywood or sheet rock it will carry, but it will move a house, haul two full cord of firewood, or two horses.

View attachment 80193

Now that is a truck!

This was a one owner ranch truck now with a crazy price I saw in Fredericksburg last year

B2A51FF7-16AE-495D-9388-A147C9478305.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the last truck I sold. It came with the property when we bought it and after I installed the water catchment system I had no need to haul water. It is a 1960 Chevrolet C60 with a dump bed to which is attached a 1,600 gallon water tank. It was a pure "joy" to drive. It liked to stick in 3rd gear and jump out of 2nd gear so Voni and I co-drove the truck. I steered while she firmly held back on the gear shift lever to prevent the transmission from jumping out of gear.

Now I just have an '04 Chevy Colorado.

Attachments

• HS0005.JPG
    HS0005.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
My sixth truck and longest kept is a 2003 2500 Dodge with 175K. Second 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins, a few Fords and a ‘68 Chevy that moved a lot of friends stuff... I got tired of helping move every weekend in my twenties, so started just giving them the keys... “don’t wreck it and bring back full of gas” ... usually worked...
All trucks have earned their keep. I did park the Cummins that summer diesel hit $4+... I seriously needed to need to move something that summer if it was started!

2808408D-3AC6-42E8-AE32-B9A0DACE1F40.jpeg

I had 2 of these, I loved them! Great ergonomics and handled very well. I thought they were a super sport truck and perfect for me hauling mostly bicycles.
2001_gmc_sonoma_extended-cab-pickup_sls_fq_oem_1_500-S.jpg

Then I started rep'ing mostly bicycle stuff and need a way to keep everything enclosed from the weather and theft so I went to one of these that turned out to be my perfect fit for my lifestyle.
i-JJMbCPr-L.jpg

I've had two from 2004-2018 and I want another one. They make a surprisingly good workhorse!
IMG_1139-L.jpg

The other thing I want is a new Sprinter, nothing better for hauling bikes and you can fit way more crap in one than a pickup. I had one from a bad business deal, it had to go but I want a new one for the new Moto B&B and for the upholstery work we're thinking of going into.

I think a man needs a pickup truck. I've been driving pickups since 1966, I've had mini-trucks, Taco's, Nissans, and full size starting with my first vehicle, a 1951 International Harvester, two Dodges, Chevy, two Fords and three Ridgelines.

Back in 07, I needed a replacement for a Dodge Durango which was beginning to act like a Lemon.
I drove lots of trucks and had settled on another Chevy when SWMBO pointed out an 06 Ridgeline on a friends lot. I had truthfully never considered a Ridgeline before that moment of illumination. I went and drove it and found that it met my needs. The 06 had only 29,000 miles on it had all the bells and whistles I wanted plus a sunroof I could have cared less about. I loved the Trunk under the bed. The back seat was big enough to fit a full-size person, something the King Cab pickups I'd had in the past really weren't good at doing. My friend cut me a hell of a deal and I bought it.

Fast Forward - after many trips to California to assist my aging parents my Ridgeline was approaching 200,000 miles and needed Timing Belt Replacement #2. My friend once again came to my rescue, this time he had an 07 Ridgeline with only 36,000 miles. It also had all the bells and whistles, being familiar with the truck, in general, I had no problem buying another, it just fit my needs. Somewhere around this time, I re-discovered motorcycling, I soon learned that my Roadstar Warrior would go into the back if I put it in cockeyed and strengthened the tailgate retention mechanism, Later I discovered that my FJR would also go into the truck as well using the same mechanism.

About this time, 2013, I bought a 24' travel trailer weighing 3700# dry. The Ridgeline is rated to tow 5000#, it towed the trailer fine but worked pretty hard to maintain speed (4500-5000 rpm) to maintain 55-60 mph going uphill. By this time Ridgeline #2 had 110,000 miles and needed to have tires and a new timing belt/water pump ($1,500+).

I had driven a Ford F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost V6 and really loved it so I bought one brand new at the end of the '13 model year (they switched from steel to aluminum bodies in 14) really cheap. I loved the F150, fast powerful, SuperCrew cab plenty roomy, a better tow vehicle. Three years and 65,000 miles later I traded the F150 for a used '17 F150 with 12,000 miles, same basic truck but equipped with a 10-speed auto instead of the 4-speed auto in the first F150. Did everything the first F150 did but even better and got an honest average 20mpg when not towing. The front differential began making noise and the dealer discovered that it had never been filled with oil at the factory, Ford fixed it. As I approached 50,000 miles, nearing the end of the powertrain warranty, the front end was again making noise. I put a lot of miles on F150 #2 going back and forth to Sioux Falls SD for SWMBO Breast Cancer treatments in 2018, SWMBO didn't like either of the F150's as she thought they were intimidating to drive, too tall, too big, too much hood made her uncomfortable.

I liked the look of the second-generation Ridgeline, looked more "trucklike", had some powertrain improvements, towed better, and my friend with the car dealership had a '19 Ridgeline with only 7,200 miles. So, F150 #2 became Ridgeline #3.

The Gen 2 Ridgeline is about half-car/half-truck, rides like a Honda Accord, the Under-the-bed -trunk just swallows a ton of stuff. The AWD works well, I pulled a big 4WD F350 diesel out of a mudhole last fall, then drove through the mudhole while he watched in amazement. It sits a little lower than the Gen 1 Ridgeline but goes everywhere I have any business going. Best of all the fuel mileage is in the low to mid 20's, an improvement over the Gen 1 Ridgelines of about 4-6 mpg and an improvement over F150#2 of about 4 mpg. The Gen2 Ridgeline does tow better than the Gen 1, I attribute this to the better 6-speed transmission and 10 more horsepower. I know it will go 200,000 miles and as I'm not making frequent trips to California any more it should last a long time. I guess it just suits my needs at the moment. And, my R1200 GS Adv fits in the rear with my new auxiliary tailgate support mechanism, a piece of chain equipped with a turnbuckle and a J-hook to support the right side of the dual action tailgate that opens up and down or swings open right to left.
Tailgate%20support-L.jpg

Well let's see if I can get my foot out...
My first truck was a Datsun 720 diesel king cab with an 8' bed. 0-60 in a minute or so.
My prejudice is not directed to an ethnic group, religion, or political affiliation, it’s just towards bed length and only to the carpentry trades. I thought that would be safe 😊. Ride or drive what you like but >8’= a car if you are a carpenter.

Skibum69 – I think you win for the best load in a vehicle.

I just sold my 2010 Tundra with a 6.5 foot bed to a carpenter. It was the easiest sale ever. Put it in C’List around noon and it was sold by 6:30 that evening. It has 91k miles on it. I priced for a few $100 over the top retail price listed in NADA and the Blue Book. Should have added a couple of thousand. Even local dealers called as well as another 8-9 people.

A friend who is a hay farmer/rancher just put a flat bed on his diesel F350. It has hydraulic arms that can pickup a round bale and load it on the truck, then pickup a second bale to transport the two. It can also roll a bale out for feeding.

Haven't figured out how to attach pictures so it's story time.
My first truck was a 1954 Chevy, 235 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree, with corner windows. Then a 1953, babbit rod engine, 4 speed, corner windows and homemade flatbed. I loved the 54, liked the 53
Next, a 1994 Chevy Silverado, the last new vehicle I've bought, still runs and looks great. And the color matches my 2004 RT, blue and silver.
Last up, a Western Star 4900SB. My retirement job hauling seed part time. Enjoy it on par with my RT.

Here is the last truck I sold. It came with the property when we bought it and after I installed the water catchment system I had no need to haul water. It is a 1960 Chevrolet C60 with a dump bed to which is attached a 1,600 gallon water tank. It was a pure "joy" to drive. It liked to stick in 3rd gear and jump out of 2nd gear so Voni and I co-drove the truck. I steered while she firmly held back on the gear shift lever to prevent the transmission from jumping out of gear.

Now I just have an '04 Chevy Colorado.

Paul, you will regret selling that truck. Think Mad Max. Fill the tank with homemade napalm, put Voni behind the wheel and you in a turret above the roof with a flame shooting nozzle (while holding the beast in gear with a foot).

You wouldn't believe how much crap you can stuff in an Element.

A little road trip, that's 2 Mtn bikes and one of those surfboards is 10' long.
i-xgBwCPd-L.jpg

i-W7C7Hx5-L.jpg

i-rcTLdDG-L.jpg

Yeah that larch tree was pretty heavy but it sure made some nice lumber! My 4 wheel machines are just tools for whatever I need.
IMG_1148-L.jpg

Tedzem pics are easy to post, there are couple of threads on here that tell you how. Having a photo hosting site makes it really easy. I use SmugMug and have about 15 000 photos hotel there. You can save $5 to join using the coupon in my sig line.

Back