• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailering and vehicle power required

Carlisle tires were mentioned earlier. They are the most common sold already mounted tires from many a big box and sporting goods outfitters.They are "cost effective" .

After losing a few on several of the trailers in our control, and thru the years on family and friend owned, I avoid them.
The failures have been on loaded, unloaded, three year old and two less than a year old. In heat and in cold. No extremes I would consider above average.
I am a trailer nut about wheel bearings and tire pressures, and these were checked on the day they failed.
We replaced the Carlisles that came on our toyhauler two seasons ago after they all wore like front tires on an RT . I stressed all the way home after seeing the tread wear.

Went to the local tire guy who shook his head at my C's and talked me into a higher end tire...MasterTracks on the sidewalls.They are 8ply class e and have taken a few long trips without any wear stresses or worries on my part.
Have other friends with same experience with C's, so I don't think I am a tire snob.

+1

In my former life I managed a Goodyear Tire Center.

Good trailer tires are worth every penny if only for peace of mind.:thumb

Given the parameters you set down in your original post (1,500 lbs. towing, not too big, etc.), again I have to say we're having a blast with our new 2014 Ford Escape.

With the 2.0 L EcoBoost in-line 4 engine, and the trailer tow prep package (w/Class II receiver), you're looking at TSC (trailer sway control - automatic), 270 ft. lbs., 240 HP and a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs.

To that, add a seamless AWD and 30 mpg when not towing.

Ergonomics and creature-features are also outstanding.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/?se...20831&ef_id=VK-LZQAABA8Kv6oe:20150109130004:s

Lovin' it!

Good luck with whatever you select. :wave

That's crazy 2L, 240 HP? That's 120 HP per L. Turbo?????

I have a T@B tear drop trailer and I'm active on the forum for those critters. They weigh 1500 lbs with nothing in them and folks tow them all over the country with Subarus, Rav-4s, and every manner of small car. Do some research on the small trailer forums and you will get a lot of good info.

That's crazy 2L, 240 HP? That's 120 HP per L. Turbo?????

Yup

I use to run a stock 2.0 liter Saab turbo at about 280-300 hp, withe nothing more than a mod to the boost control.

Got to love turbo's, tons of HP and torque, and 30+mpg.

Back