• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Totally New Airhead Guy gettin' pumped!

535IS

Take this as my intro post. :wave I am not yet officially a Beemer Guy because I have a Honda to move out before the Airhead moves in. But I just joined 'MOA and I expect I'll be hanging around this particular forum because what's coming is this:

578895_42_full.jpg

It's 'Motorsport Special' #6088534, dom 1/78, and it's reposing quietly near Akron, Ohio, awaiting my pickup soon. As the '0' in the S/N suggests, it is a Euro-spec model (kickstart, yeah! :rocker), having been essentially abandoned in Akron some 20 years ago. The buyer at that time needed a title and I knew how to get one (legally, in fact). My fee was first refusal when it was time to go. So almost two decades later, he sent me some emails and we made a deal I can't refuse.

As a 'bike guy', I'm kinda' new. Only been riding about 20 years, having started late. My '95 Shadow VLX is only my second, following an '86 Shadow 500. I loved the VLX the very first time I rode one and, in fact, bought the one I rode from its original owner (Divorce can be a wonderful thing - for the bystanders. :brow ) and I've loved it for a decade. Well, except for no weather protection to speak of (I knew that going in.), not enough gears (C'mon, Honda! A four speed?), and only the small soft-sided bags you can sling over the pillion for luggage. Still, I like a narrow-angle V-twin engine with a single pin crank for 'that sound' and it is a stunning looking little cruiser that fools more people than it should into believing it's one o' them 'H-D' things. If this Beemer weren't available, I wouldn't part with it. I got no real interest in going fast without a roof over my head (in the form of my '88 535is) and I hadn't really planned on any significant road trips. But this is a matter of honor as much as anything. Anybody you don't hear from in over 15 years who remembers a promise like that ... even my wife understands, which is rare when it comes to my BMW 'toys'.

Yeah; I go back over 20 years with BMWs and with BMW CCA. Started out with a 2002 during BMWnospaceCCA days and had a handful of partials thereof (I figure I own about 1?¢ of them right now, if you include all the pieces - but no whole car), still have the Bavaria I bought next (cracked block due to an unfortunate Wisconsin 'anitfreeze incident'), and I'm now on my fourth E28 5 Series. It's the car I just don't want to live without - amply evident by my username here. I'm wildly involved in the cyber-group MyE28.com, which I highly recommend for anyone (Bill?) living with one of these beasts.

It came down to this: If I was ever going to have a BMW bike, this is the one it had to be. I've ridden one or two newer ones and wasn't thrilled (But I got a free Victorinox knife!). This is Old School, just like my car. There's not much I can't wrench on myself on an old E28, and I like that even if I don't have self-parking like the new 'No-Brainer' model Lexus. The Shadow's carbs crapped up and I wanted to rebuild them - only I couldn't get 'em out! :banghead The BMW has those lovely Bings hanging out there begging to be rebuilt just for the hell of it. I'm (marginally) more mature, so I not only want to look good while riding, I want to feel comfortable as well. The BMW has two advantages in having that big ol' RS fairing:
  1. It's warm and
  2. It obscures my fat ass (better looking, at least from the front)

I'm mostly past my 'dropping the bike for No Damn Good Reason' days - unless forgetting to put the kickstand down is 'No Damn Good Reason'. But I can usually remember the lesson of that one (The bike falls over.).

So now you're stuck with me for awhile, I suppose. Unless 'MOA has excommunication procedures more easily implemented than 'CCA's. :D After I get more comfortable with the forum software, I'll fix my sig; maybe come up with an avatar. For now, though, I'm 'generic' and I gotta go find the Port Washington folks down the road from me. L8R. :type

What a neat looking bike! You'll like this forum, I think. Lots of good info here.
I took the lower fairing off mine cause my feet run cooler without it, especially in the Summertime here.
You'll want to check the valve clearances soon and lube the clutch input shaft if the bike's been sitting for a while. Not to mention that it gives you a reason to fiddle with the bike.;)
I know just how you feel, having gotten my baby just last month.

Welcome aboard, man.

Where's that drooling smiley when I need it?

Beautiful bike.

Welcome to the airhead community. Get that baby all shined up, tie her down on the Lake Express, and head to West Bend.

Yep, Airheads RULE, baby!

Good bike and the white bags are a rare thing, indeed, if they are original white's! I had a white bagged R80GS and these are not seen often. See ya in West Bend with those white bags. Welcome to Beemerdome...Randy13233..R100/7

Good bike and the white bags are a rare thing, indeed, if they are original white's! I had a white bagged R80GS and these are not seen often. See ya in West Bend with those white bags.

These are white, but you can see the outers have yellowed quite a bit. The other body parts are a repaint by the BMW apprentice program (the rear fender roundel is off to leave the signature of the painter exposed - for now) and I am considering whether some of that new Krylon Fusion for plastics might be the right thing to brighten them up. Any other ideas?

"Lake Express"? :confused:
Oops. I just realized you're in Manitowoc. I was thinking Muskegon (MI). You are already on the right side of the Lake for West Bend. When you decide to take that Airhead East, you can skip Chicago and take the slow ferry (not the Lake Express) and skip Chicago.

Last edited:
That Paint;

These new plastic only kind of paints may well do the trick, but do the inside, towards the wheel sides first as a test and see how well it adheres and looks. I have used some of this paint on lawn furniture and it really does a nice job on plastics. Good luck, Randy

new airhead guy

There are not many Motorsports around. According to Bill Stermer, only 200 were exported into the U.S.

Rinty

There are not many Motorsports around. According to Bill Stermer, only 200 were exported into the U.S.
Yep; that's the number I've seen - although this isn't one of them. Apparently there were about 150 done in white (some others in red) for the European market and that's what this one is. I'm guessing maybe one of two or three in the US (#6089528 is apparently in Texas and others are scattered from Finland to the Phillippines), due to the way it came in. I know it's rare, at least. :bliss

As for the Krylon/Krauser painting experiments, the inner part of the bags is inexplicably bright, shiny white. [Maybe the apprentices painted them?] At any rate, they're white while the outers only are yellow. I figure I can shoot some of the stuff in the interior to see how it adheres. If it sticks on the smooth part, it ought to stick to the pebbled surface of the outers.

Bill Burke said:
Oops. I just realized you're in Manitowoc. I was thinking Muskegon (MI). You are already on the right side of the Lake for West Bend. When you decide to take that Airhead East, you can skip Chicago and take the slow ferry (not the Lake Express) and skip Chicago.
Yeah; I thought you were talking about the Faux Ferry. The Real Ferry lands here. But since I'm from Ohio (and a Certified Cheap Bastid), I'm quite used to Chicago commutes. It's lots easier on a bike. I suppose I can even use my IPass for it ...

--
C.R. Krieger

Last edited:
Motorsport

There is one that has been in our area for a few years - in white. I have never seen a red one.

Rinty

Back