• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Top Case Lock Replacement

I bought a used small (29-liter) top box. I bought a new lock, and keyed it to fit my old key. The dealer told me that on the small box, the bottom must be disassembled to replace the lock. I have removed all the screws that hold the lid to the bottom, so the lid is off. I have also removed all the screws attaching the inner to the outer bottom piece. I can't get the bottom's inner piece separate from the outer piece. It feels like something in the middle of the bottom is still attached, and it won't come apart. HELP!
My side (system) cases need lubrication - the handles are very stiff, and the push-button is very hard to operate. Can they be lubricated without disassembling them? Or do I have the same disassembly problem that I have with the top case?

Thanks!

Brucer, in Florida

Be very careful, very,very careful. Last fall I bought a new RT .I had the dealer rekey the big box that I had on the bike I traded. While rekeying , the tech said a tool slipped and the whole internal mechanism went BOING!!!!! . Pieces flying all over the shop. Shipped the box to me a couple of days later, all set to go. Oops, the thing works but they screwed something up. Instead of being easy to lock, unlock and flip the lever to remove from bike, it now is very stiff and gritty feeling. hope it keeps working. The side cases are better , remove all the screws and associated hardware, remove the inner shell and everything is revealed, then lube away. easy. I took it apart in 5 min. Lots of screws , long ones, short ones and in between. Just remember the correct locations for the hardware

The dealer told me that on the small box, the bottom must be disassembled to replace the lock.
Do a search here. I followed instructions that I found on this forum. It's finicky, but you do not have to disassemble the case. You have to fabricate yourself a simple tool from a paper clip or such and find the release mechanism under the nickel sized, twist off cap.

Here you go: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=48542&highlight=rekey

Thank you, my dealer would not key the cases to the ign key. Doing it my self.

David

Proud owner of a 2112 R1200R!

Edit: I have one done. I put my bike key in the case lock cylinder . Tumblers 1, 3 and 6 lined up. I pulled the pin and removed 2 4 and 5 tumblers. Put it back together works with either key.

I will do the other one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back