• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Techron additive questions...

On many of the new "racks" that is true. There are small additive tanks and both the additives and gasoline blend components are mixed right at the truck loading rack. Other refiners mix the gasoline in larger tanks and load finsihed gasoline on to the truck. Not all racks are that sophistcated and many trucks have the additive put in at the beginning of the load manually. Some refiners blend "subgrade gasoline at the refinery and the ethanol is added a the terminals before the trucks are loaded. By the way, there is legislation that is in the works mandating that the ethanol content be increased from 10% to 15%. Ethanol does have a lower amount of energy per gallon and therefore the increased ethanol mandate will lower the energy in the fuel available for conversion to the mechanical energy that makes us go down the road. The use of ethanol in fuel also competes with the food chain as corn is a major component of the worlds food supply.

slight Hi jack here.
What is the COLLECTIVE wisdom on FI cleaners. Do you use them regularly/ only when a problem occurs/which one? Or is it a sales pitch to use routinely? I have used three times in two years , each occassion after suspect fuel loads taken on board in the boon docks.

slight Hi jack here.
What is the COLLECTIVE wisdom on FI cleaners. Do you use them regularly/ only when a problem occurs/which one? Or is it a sales pitch to use routinely? I have used three times in two years , each occassion after suspect fuel loads taken on board in the boon docks.

I use Chevron Brand Techron Fuel System Cleaner as part of a major service at 12K intervals. I will add some to a tank if the bike acts like it needs it too.

Oil changes?

I do not think the oil gets affected by gasoline additives! Its burned and sent out the header pipes, not past the rings and valves guides into the oil. I don't think? Randy

Chevron Supreme 92+ Octane works well for most of my stuff. I do have a place here in the area where I buy 96 Octane Ethanol free (no corn whiskey) leaded gas on occasion. I know, ruins the cat etc. etc. etc. Ask me if I care. My cat is going bye bye soon anyway with an aftermarket front exhaust system to match my aftermarket slip on.

The problem with that logic is:

1. Lead also destroys the O2 sensor, unless you have made modifications to the system to put it into the no O2 sensor mode it will default rich. The later the model the worse it will be, not all the later FI systems can operate with the sensors.

2. Lead also shortens oil change intervals, not a lot but some.

Not needed for valve life anymore. It is a free world but only no lead for me.

Rod

Octane

A couple of comments: 1) Octane is expensive. Whether you get it by reforming molecules or by additives (i.e. TEL, tetraetyly lead or MMT), it is an extra cost. Unless your machine needs the octane, it is simply a waste of money. We have been lead-free for many, many years and as said above, lead is no longer needed in modern engines. By the way, ethanol has a blend octane of 112-120 for most hydrocarbon species in gasoline. My recommendation is to use the octane recommended by the manufacturer and physical conditions under which the machine is operated. 2) Even though ethanol does have a lower energy content that most gasoline speices, the normal variables of operating my motorcycle (riding aggressiveness, oil weight, tire pressure, wind resistance, altitude, road steepness, etc) create more fuel mileage variability that the 10% ethanol that has a slighly lower energy content. 3) There are some hydrocarbon species present in higher octane gasolines that do have a cleaning affect for fuel systems, but not every gasoline is made the same way at all refineries. Fuel cleaner additives do have a place in modern engines. Use them sparringly and regularily. Techron just happens to be a proven additive. By the way, I do not work for Chevron or texaco. We just know about our competitiors.

Back