• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Techron additive questions...

robinje

I bought a small bottle of Techron to run through my '07 R1200GS as a preventative maintenance fuel injector cleaner. I have never done this before. What is the proper mix ratio to use (Techron:gas)? Also, I have read that the oil should be changed after doing this type of treatment. Is this necessary? If so, why?

Thanks...

I bought a small bottle of Techron to run through my '07 R1200GS as a preventative maintenance fuel injector cleaner. I have never done this before. What is the proper mix ratio to use (Techron:gas)? Also, I have read that the oil should be changed after doing this type of treatment. Is this necessary? If so, why?

Thanks...

My bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (12 ounces) says to put it in a nearly full tank of gas up to 12 gallons. So the math says use 1 ounce per gallon or more. The language is not precise. I wouldn't go much stronger than that because I don't think stronger is needed. If I did I wouldn't go much more than 1.25 oz per gallon or say 5 or 6 oz. per typical BMW tank.

Now that is for Fuel System Cleaner - they also make a product labeled Fuel Injection Cleaner. I'm not sure of the differences except that the injector cleaner says it dissolves gums and the system cleaner says it dissolves gums and carbon.

Which answers the second part of the question. If the cleaner loosens and breaks loose carbon bits from the valve stems and combustion chamber it is a good idea to get that junk out of the oil. In theory the oil filter should capture the carbon shards but I'd rather change the filter and drain the oil to be sure.

I dose our bikes with the Fuel System Cleaner (gums and carbon) in a tank of gas prior to each 12K service oil change. After that tank of gas is used, I will do the service. Then of course do the oil and filter change as part of that routine service. If I happen to believe that I have partially clogged fuel injector(s) I will run some of the Fuel Injector Cleaner in a tank of gas and may or may not change the oil depending on circumstances: on a trip, about due, just changed oil, etc.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Because I have no 'apparent' problems, I will wait until I am about due for an oil change. Then I will treat and run a tank through the bike and change the oil and filter. It'll be interesting to see if I can observe an effect of the treatment. As I indicated, the bike runs fine now as far as I can tell. Perhaps doing the treatment will give me peace of mind knowing that I've at least tried something to help keep the motor internals clean and performing optimally. I'm just being anal, I know... :p

BTW - My bottle of Techron is the Fuel System Cleaner, so I will be sure to do the oil change as you recommended. Thanks.

Why not just run a couple of tanks of Chevron straight from the pump. thier fuel contains Techron!

One of my buddies used to own a BP station, he ran Chevron fuel only in all his vehicles.

Why not just run a couple of tanks of Chevron straight from the pump. thier fuel contains Techron!

One of my buddies used to own a BP station, he ran Chevron fuel only in all his vehicles.

That's not so simple. There aren't any Chevron stations around where I live. Of course, I could always make it a day trip just to pick up some Chevron gas somewhere... All I need's an excuse! :laugh

I wish someone would go around and sample random stations and have analysis done... surely it is out there somewhere. I bet you would be surprised if they have what they claim. Having had friends work in the transport industry delivering generic gas from a Valero or Marathon refinery to all the big boys.

just sayin':whistle

Techron, extra nitrogen... scrubbing bubbles and so on...

I do add the concentrated cleaner regularly in our fleet prior to an oil change.

I wish someone would go around and sample random stations and have analysis done... surely it is out there somewhere. I bet you would be surprised if they have what they claim. Having had friends work in the transport industry delivering generic gas from a Valero or Marathon refinery to all the big boys.

just sayin':whistle

Techron, extra nitrogen... scrubbing bubbles and so on...

I do add the concentrated cleaner regularly in our fleet prior to an oil change.

Friends I have know have told me they pick up generic gas, then dump the respective additive packages in the generic gas to come up with Shell, Chevron, etc. Sounds fishy to me, too.

Chevron Supreme 92+ Octane works well for most of my stuff. I do have a place here in the area where I buy 96 Octane Ethanol free (no corn whiskey) leaded gas on occasion. I know, ruins the cat etc. etc. etc. Ask me if I care. My cat is going bye bye soon anyway with an aftermarket front exhaust system to match my aftermarket slip on.

Friends I have know have told me they pick up generic gas, then dump the respective additive packages in the generic gas to come up with Shell, Chevron, etc. Sounds fishy to me, too.

I believe the main difference between fuels is the additive package. All fuel comes from a limited number of refineries.

I do think it all starts out the same and then the additives for a particular brand are added before delivery

By the way, my Audi S4 V-8 runs just fine on ARCO, el cheapo. I put a tank of Chevron in every 3rd or 4th tank! I run Chevron only in the RT.

Last edited:
I have used "Sea Foam" in all my bikes and cars for years. Also when I store the bike for the winter I put Sea Foam in the gas.

Texaco

If there are no Chevron stations in your area, try Texaco, they also have
Techron in their gas.

But as touchy as oil and tires in the hearts of many:whistle..."Brand X is the only way to go"...whatever works for your peace of mind .

There is one central terminal east of Austin that all brands tankers swing thru...I am sure EXXON only fill from the EXXON tank as well... right after the Chevron tanker pulls away:scratch no mixing in the hoses or anything like that.:dunno

bye -bye:bolt

I believe the main difference between fuels is the additive package. All fuel comes from a limited number of refineries.

I do think it all starts out the same and then the additives for a particular brand are added before delivery.

Correct, the base gas is pretty generic, the additive package is what makes it brand specific, and the additives ARE important.

What goes in the Tank

All gasolines are generic. Many times they are shipped on common-carrier pipelines to distribution terminals. Gasolines must meet 12 to 14 separate specifications that make all gasolines similar to these specifications. Most oil refineries do make gasolines that are marketted under various names in any given area. There are certain additives that are mandated by the government and there are other additives that various marketers add to make their gasoline stand out from the others. These additives are added at the distribution terminals. Chevron's Techron is a proven additive for cleaning fuel injections systems as the fuel injection systems have gotten more and more sophisticated with closer and closer tollerances. Shell has their own additive and like mentioned above, Texaco is using Techron now that the two companies have merged. Chevron premium does have a bit more Techron in it vs. the regular. The stuff in the bottle is nearly idenitcal to the stuff at the pump and it doesn't make much economical sense to over-dose the stuff. Since these additives make gasoline a bit more expensive, an alternate plan is to run a Techron additive gasoline every 4th or 5th tank and this has shown ot be effective in keeping modern injector systems running well. I'm not sure that it is essential that the oil be changed immediately after dosing with a cleaner such as Techron. Most of the "cleaned" deposits simply exit in the exhaust. On tight clearence engines there is actually very little interaction between fuel/combustion systems and the oil system. Certainly any particulate (solid) that is removed will have a very hard time getting past the rings (compared to gaseous materials).

That is what I have heard as well. The driver dumps a package of the proprietary additives into the truck and the motion makes the mix. Gasoline is gasoline until different additives come into play. How many towns have as many different refineries/tank farms as they do brands of fuel??

That is what I have heard as well. The driver dumps a package of the proprietary additives into the truck and the motion makes the mix. Gasoline is gasoline until different additives come into play. How many towns have as many different refineries/tank farms as they do brands of fuel??

What I've heard is - the mix of additives is done on the fueling apparatus from the tank farm into the truck. It's all computer controlled, the operators just dial up the grade/additive package, and it comes out a hose and into the truck. Premixed. Along with ethenol now.

Back