• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank Bag Suggestions R1200RT LC

nyfty

Well I searched and didn't really find anything on tank bag suggestions specific to R1200RT LC's. And since I'm looking for suggestions specifically on tanks bags that mount on the outer fuel filler, It looks like only Givi and SW Moto offer tank bags that mount to the filler ring, I'm asking for input from those who are using either brand. I'd like to have one as large as possible that won't interfere with full lock, I have the Ilium bar backs already installed and know that they will change the handlebar ark of travel.

I used the Hepco and Becker and am happy with it. The Hepco & Becker "Tourer M" tank bag for the 2014-2018 R1200RT models These bags come in various sizes and mount nicely with the magnetic "6-bolt pattern Lock-it Tank Ring" around the filler cap. There is no interference with handlebars when turning them full lock.

http://bmwdean.com/tank-bag.jpg

https://www.motomachines.com/tank-bag-street-tourer-m

There is a variety of sizes -- https://www.motomachines.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hepco+tank+bag

https://www.motomachines.com/lock-it-tank-ring-6-bolt-pattern

Last edited:
I went with the SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Daypack. The bars touch at full lock but I wouldn't call it interference and I have the Illium Bar Backs installed. The bag is not huge but holds every I wanted to put in it and I've never had to use the zipper expansion.

I've tried a few different ones. I wanted a tank bag that I could keep the electronics and phone connections separate from a water bladder. After a Givi semi-hard side on a Tanklock ring I tried the Mosko Nomad which I thought was ideal, (apart from the strap system) but still a pain to get the bladder in the lower compartment. Then I discovered the RKA 13 liter Shiloh 3 strap tank bag, and it's been a blissfull relationship ever since. I put the bladder in the bottom part and the electronics in the top part. There are cable passages around the sides of the bag, and through a button hole to the top. Meets my needs...for now, at least.

Remember that any tank bag can be made to fit the Givi ring if you attach the locking ring to the bottom of the bag.. :)

Last edited:
It looks like the RKA 13 liter Shiloh 3 strap tank bag requires straps to hold it on. I had a BMW R1200RT tank bag I gave away because the straps were a PIA when filing the bike with gas. The Hepco-Becker uses a magnetic ring on the tank flller, which is easy to handle when filling up.

The best tank bag I ever had was mounted on a BMW tank grid in pre-2014 RTs. Too bad BMW dropped it on the wetheads.

http://bmwdean.com/tank-bag-mount-grid.jpg

Last edited:
GIVI

Easy on - easy off. Each different bag comes with a ring, so all you need is the metal plate for about $10. I've got the itty-bitty one and a 25 liter one.

Happy Holidays!!!

Dennis

I have the SW Motech City bag and have been very satisfied. It can be a bit difficult to position the bag on the fuel filler ring connection the first few times you use it, but once you get the feel it works great.

----EDITED-------

Bag is gone to first request!

-------------------

I've got one of the smaller SW Motech bags. I believe it's the City bag, but I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it was too small for my needs, so I replaced it with a larger one, which I LOVE. You are welcome to it if you want to pay for shipping. It's just sitting in my garage. You'll have to buy the mounting ring for the fuel tank. The female portion that mounts to the bag itself is still attached to the bag. You can't buy them separately.

Last edited:
I have an SW Motech Daypack and love it. Perfect size for me and holds, phone, camera, GPS when not in use and various
cables, some small tools, garage remote etc etc... A good quality tank bag that just works..

I use the same bag with the SWMotech mounting system. On the GSA the gap in the rear is large enough to fill with a bicycle seat bag.

656-D93-B8-B920-4-E96-B4-DB-E4-F06-CAFC169.jpg

In the rear of the picture you can just get a glimpse of a Givi bag mounted on an FJR with the Givi TankLock System.

My RT was one of the first delivered, I got it with the stock BMW bag, not the best best still good and I'm happy with it almost 5 years later. I am a fan of SW Motech, I have the city bag (on my Wee Strom) which would fit the wethead great. I prefer a larger bag so the city is perfect plus I like that you can add a Map case to to it. Yes Old School is good. Don't think I'm leaving home without my Nav V but on trips looking at the big picture is important to me. Changing plans is easy and done on the fly at times. I'd consider a map case when buying a bag the BMW RT map case stinks, I've added the SW Motech map case to it (easy to do) and I'm good.

Jay

I bought a medium size Givi. Didn't want to pay the price for the others, my first "tank lok" style and wasn't sure about them. 40K later and 4 years, I would buy the exact same one again. This has held up very well. Just the right size, I have had tank bags that were too big! Doesn't hit the bars at all, even with risers. Never had the lock not fasten properly, but I do run a tether as recommended.

DSC01927_zpsoleuwhkj.jpg

DSC01928_zpsvkiuci8w.jpg

I have the SW Motech City bag and have been very satisfied. It can be a bit difficult to position the bag on the fuel filler ring connection the first few times you use it, but once you get the feel it works great.

+1 For times when I need a tank bag, the SW Motech City works great.

SideCloseup_25.jpg
SideShot_50.jpg
TopShot_50.jpg

Thank you so much!

Thanks for everyone’s input. I had forgotten about Hepco Becker. Now I can make an informed decision.

Back