• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank bag identification

drost

Doug D
Hello, looking for a tank bag for my R100RT and came across this one but it does not fit properly. Before I list it I would like to find out what model it is for. Is anyone familiar with this style tank bag? Do not want the next person make the same mistake I did.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
A lot of the older tank bag bases were marked with the model they were for. Is there any marking on those base straps?

The BMW logo looks original. Was it something sold by BMW back in the day?

It's a BMW Multi Vario Tank Bag. The model is usually molded into the base (bottom side) of the bag.
It looks similar to the one we had on the 1984 R100RT.
The bag is expandable.
1715266490600.jpeg

Last edited:
With the elastic gizmos on the side, it looks a lot like my old factory K Bike multivario. It might be for a GS, but Anton is spot on as usual.

Thanks to all who have responded. There are no markings for the model bike to be used on, and it is a BMW tank bag. Bottom of the bag has five magnets which hold well but the straps are not long enough to hook to bottom of tank as you can see. I prefer to have the style with the foam bottom. Looking for the correct bag to match the bike, I ran across this bag and took a chance on buying it. It’s in very nice shape with the only flaw being the yellow stripe on the map pocket. Our local dealer is having a vintage bmw show next weekend so I will take it along and see if anyone has any interest in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    793 KB · Views: 20
Thanks to all who have responded. There are no markings for the model bike to be used on, and it is a BMW tank bag. Bottom of the bag has five magnets which hold well but the straps are not long enough to hook to bottom of tank as you can see. I prefer to have the style with the foam bottom. Looking for the correct bag to match the bike, I ran across this bag and took a chance on buying it. It’s in very nice shape with the only flaw being the yellow stripe on the map pocket. Our local dealer is having a vintage bmw show next weekend so I will take it along and see if anyone has any interest in it.
Your tank bag looks just like the one I had for my 1984 R100. The shape of the bottom section and the straps are the same. The light blue color is also the same. Around 1990 the color changed to a silver grey top section and the expandable section was red.
Maybe the mono shock R100 had a taller tank or the elastic mounting straps no longer stretch or the R100S in your picture does not have the same tank as a R100RT.
The early Brick K bikes had a completely different strap style.
This picture shows the different strap style and different colors on a 1991 K75S
1715296513580.jpeg

Last edited:
She's a Bute! Sorry to say..., but the tank bag detracts. I'd stap something on my back.., before befowling such a classy twin.

Three years ago it was an RT and now has the S fairing on it. It spent a lot of years in Kansas City with work being done to it at Engle Motors, with a M IMG_0186.jpegConley owning it at that time. Received a lot of paper work with it at time of purchase. Part of the fun was chasing down parts to make it look like a factory made bike. Tank bag is the last piece of the puzzle.

Three years ago it was an RT and now has the S fairing on it.

To my eye your tank looks the same as my old 1984 tank.
Maybe the elastic on the straps is shot making it difficult to attach to your tank.
Does the elastic still stretch?

Those side straps don't reach the seam at the bottom edge of the tank? Maybe it's for a small tank /6 or an early GS?

Doug,

The hook on the bottom should be connected to elastic, so it should stretch. The straps that connect to the D rings on the tank bag also appear to have some adjustment. It sure looks to be the right bag. Don’t be too quick to give up. :dunno

:dance:dance:dance

It sure looks to be the right bag. Don’t be too quick to give up. :dunno

If the elastic is still good the bag looks to be in great shape.
If the elastic is bad I would find someone with a heavy duty sewing machine and replace the elastic.

Back