• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Symbol on TFT I can't figure out

dmvprof

20231110_171928.jpg

Hello all. My first post. Apologies, but it is very frivolous.

There is a symbol and 000 in the upper left of tue TFT when the bike is turned on. It stays there for a few seconds and goes away. Looks like the cruise control symbol followed by 000. I've looked in the manual and Google but no luck. Maybe it is meaning less but that doesn't seem very Bravarian. Thought it may be related to cruise but it is comes on whether cruise control is on or off.

Again. I realize how unimportant it is, but since I noticed it when I turn my bike on I see it and my OCD kicks in.

I think it's trip meter. It's mention around 2:00 in this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Uoemg9w_xfs?si=38IrYimS2CqxPLbc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think it's trip meter. It's mention around 2:00 in this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Uoemg9w_xfs?si=38IrYimS2CqxPLbc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you. That is it. Now I feel silly. Lol

What BMW would have a 5200 RPM redline?

I would have thought that symbol was a tempomat aka cruise control. Didn't watch the whole video.

At the spot in the video where he was going across the top symbols, he called it a trip meter.

Yeah, I notced that. I have symbols like that in my cars and they indicate "cruise control". I wish ALL companies would get together and standardize things.

That is how the TFT will power on with a cold engine. As the engine temperature rises, the redline follows. It's actually pretty cool.

Seriously? "Cool" but once again designed for people who cannot think which seems to be the way the world is going. Like dipstick-less cars, or my thoughts on ABS.

I use what I have between my ears and as a past flight instructor for many years, I respect my engines. On one of my cars, a replacement engine would go for about $30,000. And no matter which vehicle I own, I drive them gently for at least 10 miles till all fluids and the engine temperatures stabilize. In fact, none of my 2 or 4 wheeled vehicles have been anywhere near redline even when fully warmed up. I also have never had engine issues in almost 50 years.

Reminds me of this 100% nanny-free video.

Seriously? "Cool" but once again designed for people who cannot think which seems to be the way the world is going. Like dipstick-less cars, or my thoughts on ABS.

I use what I have between my ears and as a past flight instructor for many years, I respect my engines. On one of my cars, a replacement engine would go for about $30,000. And no matter which vehicle I own, I drive them gently for at least 10 miles till all fluids and the engine temperatures stabilize. In fact, none of my 2 or 4 wheeled vehicles have been anywhere near redline even when fully warmed up. I also have never had engine issues in almost 50 years.

I agree with all you said, I follow the same regimen regarding the warm up and avoiding redline. Guess what, I've never had any engine issues either, although it's only been 48 years. :laugh

Even though I said it's actually pretty cool (and it is technology wise) it's not something I pay much attention to. I don't know if others use it or not.

I agree with all you said, I follow the same regimen regarding the warm up and avoiding redline.

I remember being in a turbo-prop as a passenger. It was -20C or even colder on the ramp and on an aircraft that was parked there overnight. The captain slowly brought up the RPMs (to warm up the gear reduction lubes) prior to takeoff. We were there at least 30 minutes as he slowly increased them every few minutes and I was thinking "I hope we get a straight-in at Newark" because I was going to be late for my connecting flight. Always better safe than sorry. I made my connecting flight.

The symbol if for the odometer.
You can see it on the OnBoard Computer screen and Trip Computer screen.
Our RSs don't display that symbol for some reason when I toggle to odometer. Maybe it's just the software version we have.

Pictures from one of our bikes last May.

TFT (2).jpg

TFT (4).jpg

I've tried both "ROAD" and "DYNAMIC" modes. I can't tell that much difference, TBH. But I'm trying to think of a good reason to even use "ROAD". Or, worse, "ECO". I bought an R1250RS - not a Rabbit Diesel!

Back