• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions on Helmet

Anyone looking at Klim helmets. The new Krios or TK1200. Will be looking for a new helmet this spring and aside from safety, the focus will be fit, road noise and ventilation. The bulk of my riding will be the roads around the New England states and the highways needed to reach them.

Interesting....yesterday read this thread and that got me looking..... That KLIM helmet got my attention. I was leaning Neotec of C4 until I saw these. That transition visor looks like a nice feature and even though it's a modular, it's lighter than my Shoei GT Air.... Anyone have one and can give us a quick review??

Followup

As a reply to OP, I ended up purchasing a Schuberth Hi Viz C-3 Pro that Reveille has on close-out sale price. Got the last large size, so feel fortunate to have found one at almost 40% off. Not too sure if I will be crazy about the Hi Viz Yellow, but know from seeing others on the road that it is a very noticeable color. Talked myself out of getting the adventure model, as most reviews I came across mentioned some vibration from cross wind and if turning head while on-road riding, plus the additional noise the beak may cause. Since my reason for upgrading was to obtain as quiet a helmet as possible and still have a modular helmet, the C-3 pro looks like it will do the trick. Guess I can always cover some of the yellow with decals as I am running out of room on my 700 for additional advertising...:) Looks like Schuberth is going to a C-4 designation so this style helmet won't be available any longer, so not much use in writing up another review once I get some miles on her. In any case, it looks to have been a favorite (well probably not the high viz color, as it is the last color to close out) but from reviews on Revzilla, its 5 out of 5 for all categories........

Last edited:
BIG Head! Ended up with A Schuberth XXXL

I have a size 8 head and went through quite few helmets before ending up with a Schuberth C3 Pro XXXL. It's weird because I tried the C3 Pro North American helmet and it felt awful, but the standard C3 Pro is fantastic.

I would have stuck with the first helmet I ordered, Arai GT-Air but, contrary to Revzilla fitting recommendations, it never loosened up and was too tight for me. I think that when you get toward the maximum size that the shell can fit the padding gets so thin it cannot "break-in" and loosen up. The C3 is great!

The only other helmet I tried that fit well, The Arai Definate was just TOO FRIGGIN LOUD! If you look at the helmet it has built-i covers to conceal the visor pivot - seems like a nice idea but these covers act as air-scoops.

No doubt in my mind that the engineering and safety that goes into the Schuberth C3 is worth the extra money.

Ski

The main thing to take away from this discussion is that there is no "ONE" helmet. Everyone's head is different. Follow AlanColes' suggestions and buy the best helmet you can afford that is comfortable on "your" head. Have owned numerous brands down thru the years from - Bell, Simpson (the original Darth Vader look), Givi, Scorpion, Aria, Shoei and a Schubreth. They all worked well and were comfortable. Currently alternate between the Shoei and the Schubert, of the two the Shoei is slightly more comfortable.
Just remember that if it is not comfortable you will not wear it very long and will have wasted your money.

The Arai Signet X is the only helmet that I know with certainty will fit my long-oval shaped head. So I just ordered one.

Harry

Well i put 1500 miles on my new C-4 helmet this past weekend and found it to be a good choice for me. Fits well, although it seems to be a bit heaver than my previous 104 Nolan. Somewhat quieter also, but not earth shattering quiet. Not sure if I'll be able to hear the radio through the ear phones supplied with the Scala Pack Talk Cardio unit I won through the MOA any better in the Schuberth than the Nolan. But, I needed a new helmet anyway so it got me off the fence to make the purchase at the right time, especially with the discount close-outs offered by Revzilla. And I actually like the white/yellow combo color as it seems to be quite visible to everyone on the street. So thanks to everyone for the input on helmets and sizing....

Advice from Arai:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/75MsqGdiZ8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Schuberth C3 pro

Having been a Shoei guy for years......was skeptical on C-3...;....at 1 month timeframe was endeared to it: quiet,comfortable, fabulous BT sound on SCRS‼

Fits well, although it seems to be a bit heaver than my previous 104 Nolan. Somewhat quieter also, but not earth shattering quiet. Not sure if I'll be able to hear the radio through the ear phones supplied with the Scala Pack Talk Cardio unit I won through the MOA any better in the Schuberth than the Nolan.

Judging from your statements I suspect your helmet isn't fitting well. That much noise coming in is very likely due to a too loose fit. Which probably applies to the original helmet that you replaced. I know the Givi windshields have their limits, but that much noise into the helmet ( too much to hear with earbuds ) shouldn't happen even on a naked bike with a Schuberth or other quality helmet. That fits correctly.

Since you're buying a new helmet on prize money get a Schuberth C3 and then put a Sena 10U in it for the win. Love mine.
Agree 100% I just happen to go with the Neotec. The Sena 10U gets the Rodney Dangerfield (bless his heart) treatment. I think it's because it's use is restricted to only a handful of very good helmets. Fortunately the Neotec is one of those helmets. I've used the Sena brand before but the 10U puts the whole package together built into your helmet.

"Custom Fit"

The Arai Signet X is the only helmet that I know with certainty will fit my long-oval shaped head. So I just ordered one.

Harry

As a service to the riders here with large or odd shaped heads, Look into the BELL "CUSTOM FIT" helmets. They laser scan your head, and two weeks later you get a helmet that fits perfectly. Expensive yes, but, it fits!!

As a service to the riders here with large or odd shaped heads, Look into the BELL "CUSTOM FIT" helmets. They laser scan your head, and two weeks later you get a helmet that fits perfectly. Expensive yes, but, it fits!!

With a laser, can't they just trim off the excess or extra lumpy parts?

... The Sena 10U gets the Rodney Dangerfield (bless his heart) treatment. I think it's because it's use is restricted to only a handful of very good helmets...
I agree that it is one of the main issues, but there are a couple of others, not easily switched to a second helmet and limited access without the remote.

The main issue for me is that it is not readily transferable to another helmet like most of the Sena external units. I have a couple of helmets that I wear regularily. Both my C3 and Arai can accept a model-specific 10U, but I have no interest in buying a unit for each.

I use an externally mounted Sena and installed the Sena "mount kit" on each. Most won't have that issue, but the issue they will have is that the unit will lock them into having to change both helmet and comm if they decide not to get another helmet of the same make/model. For instance, when I replace my Schuberth C3 helmet, it will probablyy be with a C4, but I'm not sure the 10U that fits the C3 / C3 Pro / E1 will fit the C4 (likely won't as Schuberth appear to indicate their C3 comms won't work in the C4), so I prefer the flexibility of the external setup, but definitely would like the beautiful integration and sleekness of the 10U.

I use an externally mounted Sena and installed the Sena "mount kit" on each. Most won't have that issue, but the issue they will have is that the unit will lock them into having to change both helmet and comm if they decide not to get another helmet of the same make/model. For instance, when I replace my Schuberth C3 helmet, it will probablyy be with a C4, but I'm not sure the 10U that fits the C3 / C3 Pro / E1 will fit the C4 (likely won't as Schuberth appear to indicate their C3 comms won't work in the C4), so I prefer the flexibility of the external setup, but definitely would like the beautiful integration and sleekness of the 10U.

The C4will have a Sena antenna, speakers, microphone and radio compartments built in as standard, which I think is probably part of the price increase over the C3 Pro. To actually use these items you have to purchase an SC1 (radio and battery), which will be an additional $229-$349, depending on the features you want. It's not clear to me whether the basic controls come with the radio or the helmet, but it will work with a optional handlebar remote.

I think ECE rules about modifying the helmet are part of the impetus for this design. By getting approval for the helmet with speakers, etc. included as part of the package, there are no aftermarket structural modifications involved - you just plug the electronics into the provided compartments.

I'm quite happy with my four year old C3 and Sena SMH10, and do not want pay extra for half a comms unit that I am not likely to complete. Since the C3 is nearing the end of it's life, I picked up a closeout C3 Pro last week. It will sit on the shelf for another 9-12 months, and then I'll transfer the SMH10 from the C3 to the C3 Pro. $450 now sounds a lot better to me than $975+ next year.

After tons of reading I just bought the scorpion 920, after trying the Neotec on and also couple others and Im very very happy with the way the 920 fits and by the end of this last weekend ride I forgot it was even on my head.

Not saying Neotec wasn't good, just saying the scorpion for under 250 is perfect for me and wind noise was very acceptable.

Back