• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions on Helmet

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Woo- Hoo,,, just noticed that I'm a lucky winner in the BMW early registration for our Salt Lake City National rally in the " A Little Love from the MOA" promotion. Now I need to look at upgrading my older Norton 104 full face modular helmet as it's on its fourth year of hard use, having sustained a couple of hits from some unfortunate "exit stage left" occurrences in the past couple of years, to pair with my new Scala Rider PackTalk Duo intercom system. Not sure who I will talk to, as my wife has long ago learned to stay away from me while engaging in anything close to sports, (I think the time I fell off the ski lift in Alta Utah while sitting next to her was the icing on the cake where she decided that it would be best to maybe have a few separate vacations). And I usually ride alone, but hey, if I can somehow coax my riding buddy Monty from Kansas or Bob from the UP to ride along with me we could be like two grade school kids who received walkie talkie's for Christmas. So, I'm looking for suggestions to pair the PackTalk with that would be quiet enough to actually hear what is being said on the system. I ride an F700 GS with a Givi AF5107 AirFlow windscreen, that paired with my Norton 104, is not quiet enough to actually hear my itunes with ear buds. Too much wind noise which I attribute to the modular system. I would appreciate any suggestions that lead to a quieter but actually not too much hotter helmet that would take best advantage of the TackTalk system.....Thanks in advance for any suggestions and BTW, looks like it's going to be a great rally (at least for me) if this is any indication of what I have to look forward to at the rally. Utah is one of my favorite places in the US to visit, whether in summer or winter, so can't wait for July to come.
See you all at the National.........Walt E.

I am completely sold on the Shoei NeoTec. I really wanted a Schuberth C3, though the price tag kept from acquiring it. The NeoTec is extremely quiet, especially when the chin guard is in place. I have my Sena 20S attached and I can hear Pandora streaming through at 60mph (I don't normally use ear plugs) at lower volumes. A lot depends on head shape, that will really narrow it down for you. Plus the NeoTec is $300-$400 less than the Schuberth.

Happy Helmet Hunting

Mike

+1 on neotec but try on c3 also if one not quite right other will be perfect. I tried on a C3 not quite right said goood as I did not want to spend that much money, lovely sales person said not just right try on this noe etc I did said damn do not want to spend that much money my lovely wife who likes my head the way it is asked if it was really comfortable I said yes she purchased helmet for me.

+1 on the NeoTec also. I tried on a Schuberth but the head shape was wrong for me. When Schuberth was having a sale, its price was about the same as the NeoTec.

I've done a lot of miles in the NeoTec, and a lot of those miles in the rain. No leakage issues and plenty of ventilation.

Since you're buying a new helmet on prize money get a Schuberth C3 and then put a Sena 10U in it for the win. Love mine.

Not a Norton, but a Nolan 104 i tried and was happy with.
Have a Schubert C3 right now and find the best i had so far.
Maybe when a good deal comes along, will try Neo Tech, just
to compare. Schubert is great, although am not sure worth
the money!

The lid Picker

I love my Neotec, but it took a lot of work on the foam to get it to be a 10 hour fit.
It does vent better than any helmet I have ever worn.
I may try a Japanese version model, since they are bias towards a rounder oriental head shape.
Would love it if the C3 Pro would fit my roundish head. Maybe the C4 will be rounder.

The most important thing to look for in a helmet is a proper fit.
Various makes and models can have radically different fit depending on your head shape.
An Arai, Schuberth and Shoei will not fit the same head shape equally well.

You might want to take a look at www.lidpicker.com
For $20 they will send you a calipers and scheme to determine which helmets are the best fit for your head shape.
They will send you back a report that shows what brands and models are the closest fit to your head shape.

Last edited:
There is plenty to get familiar with on this subject and the links will help you quite a bit. Here's another to help and confuse.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Unfortunately, there is still very little standardisation on helmet terminology let alone helmet shapes or sizing, so each source may require a bit of adjustment to see how it's info meshes with a different source. All this makes the identification of things somewhat frustrating.

The very first thing you need to identify before you look at any helmet or even think about which helmets you might like is your head shape in terms of helmet fitting. As the links will identify, helmet manufacturers all use some general guidelines but no standardization so these are just quidelines. But, remember this, virtually all helmets are made in many different sizes (typically 6 sizes or more) but each model is typically made in only one head-shape. Therefore, the first priority is to identify your head-shape. Only then can you start looking for a helmet that will fit you. If you're lucky, you'll have a shape that is in the middle of one of the shapes so that you might be comfortable with helmet shapes that are just on either side of that. This is where my feeling is that the best standardised shape referencing system should have 5 shapes identified. Less and it is too generalized, more and it is too specific. What I mean is due to the lack of standardisation I can comfortably wear some helmets designated on either side of what my head shape dictates, but I haven't found one that is two away from my shape that is at all comfortable.

After you've identified your head shape, something like the WBW link above can help you identify which helmets might actually fit your head shape. Then using the circumference of your head to identify the helmet size, you try the likely helmet and start fine-tuning from there.

I've been very pleased with my Schuberth C3 Pro and it's MUCH quieter than the Nolan it replaced (which was probably the noisiest helmet I've ever owned). It also has the only head vent system I've ever found that actually works.

I too have been looking to replace my Nolan 104, while having served well, is showing real wear.

Schubert is coming out with the new C4 in the spring. Specs look good but there is no real test I can find on the web. I've heard the C3 had rain ingress on the chin..hope Schubert has fixed that.

The multitec is a several year old design so I'm reluctant to put big bucks in that.

Maybe Nolan has a new model coming out too?

Waiting to see what shows up in the next couple of months.

+1 on the Schuberth C3 Pro ... fits my slightly oval head quite well.
Just picked up a hi-viz version from Revzilla for $475... still expensive but a great deal off msrp.
There are great closeouts right now - so good time to buy Schuberth if you're looking for a deal on new.
Think about pairing it with a Sena 10U - nice hidden integration.

Last edited:
I too recommend the Shoei Neotec. I purchased this helmet about a month ago and paired it with a Sena 20S and I must say that overall I am very pleased with the helmet. As a modular helmet it is certainly louder than a full face, however if you are accustomed to riding with a modular helmet already, then you already know that modulars just tend to be louder in general. Knowing that, I endorse the Shoei. The Neotec is comfortable for all day wear and has speaker cutouts in the interior should you decide to add a communication system later.

We went through two sets of Nolan N104's and really liked them but now we have Schubert C3 Pro's and really love them ! Much lighter and much less noise. Got a great buy on them from Motard Inn (Spain).

I' ve reported on this elsewhere, and thought I had here, but perhaps not.

The C3 Pro is being marked down on close-out sales to make way for the C4 to be released in May.

Places like Revzilla have limited supplies available from $475-$529 w/shipping included.
https://www.revzilla.com/schuberth-helmets#v2-facets%5B%5D=305&facets%5B%5D=2027&page=1&page_size=96&sort=price_low&tab=all&implicit_facets%5B%5D=737

Bob's BMW $499-$599: http://store.bobsbmw.com/browse/mens-unisex-helmets?category=mens-unisex-helmets

As previously stated: Whatever helmet upon which you decide, make sure it fits you properly. That may mean its not the most comfortable helmet to get on and off but that's not why you're wearing one, is it. The Snell Foundation says head injuries would be reduced by + or - 40% if everyone simply wore a properly fitting helmet.

Thanks for the responses. Went up to my dealer in St. Louis and tried on the Schuberth E1 Guardian Adventure and really liked it. Based on the reviews listed on Revzilla, it looks to be an appropriate helmet for my style of riding so probably going to go back to Gateway and pick it up at the end of the month depending on how much is left over from my monthly stipend...:) However, after looking at reviews on the Scala PackTalk, not sure if it's going to be all that appropriate for me since I don't really ride with anyone. Would use it maybe for the link to music or phone, but maybe not. We'll see how it works out.
BTW, before I said I had a Norton 104 but some how got it confused with Nolan. Guess my age is showing as I seem to remember Ed Norton from the Hacky Gleason shows, so maybe I really need a new helmet to keep what is left of my brain protected....:)

If you feel the Scala PackTalk may be more than you're looking for, perhaps consider the Sena 10S, it's about 20% less expensive (with a bit fewer features, but you likely won't even notice them missing).

Anyone looking at Klim helmets. The new Krios or TK1200. Will be looking for a new helmet this spring and aside from safety, the focus will be fit, road noise and ventilation. The bulk of my riding will be the roads around the New England states and the highways needed to reach them.

Last edited:
Back