• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Steroid Treatment of Hearing Loss

exgman

I hope this is the right forum for this (Gary will tell me if it isn't I'm sure). I know that many of us older riders are subject to hearing loss. I have had an interesting treatment for loss in one ear only, and thought I would share the experience in case others have a similar loss.

I have been treated in the past week for a significant hearing loss at the Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary (MEEI). In terms of history, I had a history of 22-years in law enforcement in which I was subject to a significant amount of gunfire noise as a firearms instructor and SWAT Team member. My employer provided hearing protection which we all wore religiously.

About eight years after retirement, I returned to BMW motorcycle riding and now have 45,000 miles on my RT. I decided at the outset that I would wear earplugs, and have been using 3M E-A-R plugs every time I have ridden.

Recently, I observed a dramatic loss of hearing acuity in my right ear. Testing at MEEI revealed that my loss is about 60% at this point, but only in my right ear. My left is fine. The doc told me that the gunfire and motorcycle riding was not the cause of the loss. The characteristics of the loss, and other analysis showed that the problem was inflammation of the sound-sensing cells in the inner ear. The mechanics of the ear are intact and operating perfectly, but the nerves aren't getting the sound because of the inflammation. As a result, a hearing aid is not something that would help me.

I am now embarked on a series of four shots of Prednisone (a steroid) injected into the inner ear by a hypodermic right through the eardrum. It sounds bad, but is really not unpleasant. The shots are done over the space of a week and every couple of days I get myself to the MEEI for another one. The idea is that the steroids will reduce the inflammation, and return at least some of the cells to their work of sending sound to my brain.

After just two shots, I feel as if I'm hearing more on the right side, and the tinnitus I've had has changed frequency and the volume has gone down. Two more to go and I'm optimistic at least.

Anyway, just my story, and I hope it's helpful to some.

Interesting John, I'm not sure how that compares to the Tinnitus that many of us suffer from but the condition doesn't sound like fun either. I don't know what caused my condition but it is annoying. I have a feeling that if I had hearing loss as you describe, I would still have the Tinnitus :banghead
I think you are one of the best facilities for the treatment. Hope for the best.
OM

After just two shots, I feel as if I'm hearing more on the right side, and the tinnitus I've had has changed frequency and the volume has gone down. Two more to go and I'm optimistic at least.

Anyway, just my story, and I hope it's helpful to some.

Please, keep us updated. Hearing loss isn't something that you get to avoid, just like bifocals...........Most all of us will get our turn to deal with it.

I will provide as complete information about this treatment (steroids to the inner ear) as possible. I finished the four injections almost three weeks ago. I return on Friday (8/21) to the Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary to get another hearing test which is done three weeks after the last injection.

My observations: 1) I seem to hear music better in the right ear; 2) It's clear when conversing with people that when I turn my head that I can hear a lot better from the left ear but a lot less from the right; 3) tinnitus in my right ear (none in the left) varies in frequency, but has not diminished.

I guess the jury's still out on my experience. I'll see what the MEEI doc tells me on Friday. I'm sorry I can't give a more positive report.

Good luck John. As someone who has lost High Hearing and also has tinnitus from decades in law enforcement (gunfire) & the fire & burgular alarm industry, I am interested in your progress.

Bob

Bob - I went back to see my doc at the Mass. Eye & Ear Infirmary last week. Before I saw him, they re-tested my hearing following the injection of steroids into my right inner ear. The results were that nothing apparently changed as a result of the treatment. I have some minor higher-frequency loss in my left ear, but about 50% loss in all frequencies in my right ear. Another test confirmed that all of the physical pieces in my inner ear are working, but that nerve sensitivity has failed in that ear only. Another test determined that I am hearing garbled sounds in my right ear. As a result, a hearing aid would not be helpful and would essentially amplify the noisy/garbled sounds that my brain is already hearing.

I apologize for the lengthy explanation, but I figure that more detail is helpful. As did you, I was in law enforcement (FBI) for 22 years, and was part-time as an FBI Firearms Instructor and a SWAT Team member also. I wore two layers of hearing protection for much of that time. I also hunted deer and turkey, but I only shot one deer and one turkey with my 12-gauge Remington 870. The doc told me that the shooting and the motorcycle riding (with 33db reduction earplugs) had no impact on my present hearing loss in the right ear.

I guess I'm just going to have to live with it, as there's no real alternative at this point. Since it's a nerve-related loss, the doc told me that a cochlear implant was possible, but not really a good thing for me.

You may have hearing loss unrelated to nerve-related loss. If so, then a hearing aid (as I understand it) can be helpful. FWIW, I only have Tinnitus in my right ear...my left is hearing fine, and is not affected by Tinnitus.

I am learning to adapt which means sitting with my left ear facing conversations, avoiding high ambient noise situations (restaurants, etc.) and doing my best to protect the remaining hearing in my left ear.

I think that's about it. I'll do my best to answer any questions, but I think that my particular situation is not common.

John Gamel

John,
All my research points to there being no easy answers & to many things regarding hearing, no answers at all.
Hearing aids may well help me but will do nothing for the tinnitus. No help for that that I know of. It used to drive me batty, but I eventually learned to tune it out.

Bob

Back