• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shipping Companies

z3guy

I'm open to suggestions from any members who have had bikes shipped to them within the US. I went online and its mind blogging. Looking for a good shipper as I really don't need any headaches. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Where do you live and where do you want to ship?
I was happy with my carrier even though they were 2 days late through no fault of their own.

They are pretty much NE regional. Carolinas, Maine and I think Ohio.

There's many threads on this that you can search and find.

Be advised that prices are up, there's fuel surcharges and everyone's blaming Covid, supply chain issues, etc.
"Estimated" pickup and delivery dates mean nothing.

I've used Keyboard M/C Shippers, UShip, and Haul Bikes (twice). UShip can be a mess and it was a disatrous headache for someone who chose them to ship a BMW 1200CL that I sold. Both Keyboard and Haul Bikes have been very good.
I just used Haul Bikes to ship from New Mexico to NJ. Their price was $750. Keyboard quoted $1000.
Haul Bikes picks up your bike and brings it to one of their shipping centers where it sits until they have a truck going your way. This time, they brought it to two separate centers, and it sat 250 miles from my home for two weeks. I complained and was told the delay was due to "supply chain issues" LOL, so I asked her "what "supply" are you waiting for, a truck or a driver to come from China"?!
Lo and behold, it arrived the next day. It took TWO MONTHS for my bike to arrive. That, I did not like, but their care in transport is obvious, and both times I had terrific drivers bringing the bike.

Last edited:
The distance looks around 250 miles. I know weather can be iffy this time of year and shipping is pretty high. Any options to rent a u-haul motorcycle trailer? Way cheaper method.
Or, members here or local club that would help for fuel and a lunch?
I guess I get used to western states, especially TX, where 250 miles doesn’t even cross a state line and a good lunch ride :laugh

I've shipped bikes across country 5 times. Four of those times, the bike was damaged, sometimes significantly. The big national shippers (with the exception of Haul Bikes) will move your bike in an 18-wheeler stuffed with anything and everything from pianos to bowling balls. And it will be loaded and unloaded multiple times along the way, each time another chance and scratches and damage. Based on my experience, Haul Bikes is the only long distance shipper I would trust. For more local moves, say under 500 miles, you might be better off finding a local shipper with a truck and trailer. That's what I've done, and have been very happy with his service.

I've shipped bikes across country 5 times. Four of those times, the bike was damaged, sometimes significantly. The big national shippers (with the exception of Haul Bikes) will move your bike in an 18-wheeler stuffed with anything and everything from pianos to bowling balls. And it will be loaded and unloaded multiple times along the way, each time another chance and scratches and damage. Based on my experience, Haul Bikes is the only long distance shipper I would trust. For more local moves, say under 500 miles, you might be better off finding a local shipper with a truck and trailer. That's what I've done, and have been very happy with his service.

Yes, Haul Bikes is very good, and would be great if they can pick up the pace a little. Ive used Keyboard and they are also one who will only have motorcycles in their trucks. They also secure your bike onto a wheeled platform that makes it very easy to move your bike around, but also keeps it secure and away from other bikes when its locked in place.

I would not recommend UShip. I did use them once to bring me a restored to museum quality classic Honda and I was horrified when the driver opened the back of the trailer. There was anything and everything inside all stuffed in. It looked like a moving van that had an entire house's contents in there. Luckily, the Honda was unscathed.

I sold a BMW R1200CL and the buyer chose UShip. The driver was a full day late picking up, and I was at work. ( I had purposely scheduled it for my day off and the driver did confirm that day, but still showed up a day later) The driver was a totally disorganized mess, and the truck had a broken liftgate that didn't raise all the way to the truck's floor, so my wife and teenage son had to help load it in. Apparently, he never secured any of the bikes in there, and during the trip the BMW fell into a pile of other motorcycles, and arrived at the buyer's place with $6,000 in damage. He also told my buyer that it was in that condition when he picked it up. Luckily I had taken detailed photos the day before. My buyer had to go through his insurance, then the insurance company went after the driver. The CL was eventually repaired, but the wait for parts from Germany took 3 months. What a headache it was for my poor buyer.

Last edited:
Haul Bikes

Add my name to those who have been happy with Haul Bikes. They shipped my FJR from California to Minnesota a few months ago and it arrived in great shape. No scratches, dings or dents. ALL they do is transport bikes and the inside of their trailer was full of motorcycles that were strapped down securely.

My driver was a motorcyclist and it is nice to see that he was very conscientious about how he treated the bikes in his care.

One other caution when choosing a local, independent transporter. The gentleman who I sold that classic Honda to contracted with a "shipper" with a diesel pickup and a large, open, flatbed trailer. Trip was from NJ to MA. Apparently my buyer has bought other bikes and used this guy before. The trailer was empty when he arrived for the pickup. He loaded the Honda and had it on its side stand while he strapped it down. (normal). But he never lifted the side stand and when I questioned him on it, he acted like I wasn't worthy to question him and said he always transported them that way. (Which is the wrong way in case anyone doesn't know that)

One other caution when choosing a local, independent transporter. The gentleman who I sold that classic Honda to contracted with a "shipper" with a diesel pickup and a large, open, flatbed trailer. Trip was from NJ to MA. Apparently my buyer has bought other bikes and used this guy before. The trailer was empty when he arrived for the pickup. He loaded the Honda and had it on its side stand while he strapped it down. (normal). But he never lifted the side stand and when I questioned him on it, he acted like I wasn't worthy to question him and said he always transported them that way. (Which is the wrong way in case anyone doesn't know that)

Exactly! Even worse on a Ducati, where the stand is bolted to the engine case. One of my shipping disasters was using Federal (Fun Movers) and a Ducati Multistrada. The idiots strapped it down agains the side stand. Luckily the plywood pallet had just enough give to prevent the engine case from cracking. The same morons used the handlebars as attach point for their straps (instead of the forks) and ruined the paint on the fuel tank. When I filed a $2500 damage claim, they said it was all "preexisting damage" which is what they WILL ALWAYS CLAIM no matter how many photos you take prior to shipping. In the end, we settled for $1000 and that was like pulling teeth. Motorcycle owner beware!

If you can be there to supervise the strapping down and loading of the bike, that goes a long way to minimizing damage. But if you're only able to drop the bike off at a warehouse or dealership, beware, beware! No one will take as much care to strap the bike down properly as you will. I once shipped (using one of the big national movers) a Honda VFR to an Oakland CA warehouse for a fly and ride. When I got to the warehouse to pick the bike up, I found two of the straps :eek eye hooks had torn completely out of the wooden pallet. The bike was dangling at a precarious angle by the two remaining tiedown straps, which were tight as banjo strings. Of course, the clueless forklift operator was yanking the bike/pallet all over the place, all the while I'm screaming at him to stop and set it down. To make matters worse (if that was possible) I found out a few miles later on the interstate that the stress on the bike had tweeked the front fork tubes. Much above 65-75 mph before front wheel hop made the bike unrideable. I've had a lot of bad luck shipping bikes (with the exception of Haul bikes) and now only ship bikes I've sold to someone else, using the shipping service that THEY chose and pay for!

I am purchasing a F800GS with a sidecar. It is located in Carson City, NV and I am shipping it to near Helena, MT. I asked HaulBikes and MotoShippers to provide a quote. I’ve used MotoShippers twice before to ship a rig to and from Salem, OR and was very happy with their services.

HaulBikes’ quote was $2,270. MotoShippers’ quote was $1,000. I had requested a quote from HaulBikes last year to ship my R1250GSA with a sidecar from Buckley, WA. They wanted $2,800 for that job. In the future I shall not ask HaulBikes for a quote.

I didn’t know that an F800GS could run a sidecar? I’ll be interested in that whole deal along with pictures.
Good luck with it.
OM

PM sent with more information.

D51-CEB4-D-3-CE1-403-B-9613-CA0-F65-BC76-E9.jpg

Back