• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Official BMW parts costs for a 2001 R1150 GS

eric1150

My front rotors are warped, so I went online to replace them. The first place I found was official BMW parts and assuming I read their stuff correctly, they want 370 bucks for rotors! to make it worse, that's PER rotor. So to replace 2 it would be 740. My initial reaction to this was something like "are they out of the @#$%ing minds??". This part literally just being a hunk of steel (but an important hunk), I looked elsewhere and can find 2 rotors for 80 bucks total or some that looked a little better for 200. Are the BMW parts just that incredibly overpriced? Are they better quality? Any thoughts on a solid non-BMW part company?

Welcome to the forum!
It would help to have the year and model so others could offer help. Once you post what your bike is, one of the moderators will move this thread to the appropriate forum section.
And yeah, be it a car or bike, BMW factory parts are frequently expensive. Suitable aftermarket parts are available and the experienced group here can help you- once they know what bike you have.
OM

My front rotors are warped, so I went online to replace them. The first place I found was official BMW parts and assuming I read their stuff correctly, they want 370 bucks for rotors! to make it worse, that's PER rotor. So to replace 2 it would be 740. My initial reaction to this was something like "are they out of the @#$%ing minds??". This part literally just being a hunk of steel (but an important hunk), I looked elsewhere and can find 2 rotors for 80 bucks total or some that looked a little better for 200. Are the BMW parts just that incredibly overpriced? Are they better quality? Any thoughts on a solid non-BMW part company?

Is a $740 BMW part any better than an $80 aftermarket part? Maybe, but if the $740 part warped how good was it to begin with anyway? We don’t know where BMW sources parts, but lots of good quality stuff comes from China these days, including the entire engine BMW puts in some of their bikes.

FWIW, I’ve had very good experience with aftermarket parts on my BMWs. Starters, fuel pumps, diode boards, driveshaft u-joints, brake parts, transmission bearings, and the like have all worked out fine, often better than OEM BMW quality, and always at considerably less cost.

You don't mention the model of bike, but since your username contains "1150" I am going to assume that you have an 1150 of some sort.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to pick up a near-new front wheel for my R1150 GS, it had no rotors, though.

Looking through the parts fiche at MAX BMW, and RealOEM, it became clear that there was a lot of weird variation in wheels, rotors, floating "buttons" and fasteners between the VINS for these bikes throughout their model life. This variation is not well-documented and my impression is that you really need to know your BMW stuff in order to obtain the right parts.

Since you only need rotors, this may not be as much of a problem as I had getting what (I hope) is the right combination of lightly-used rotors plus buttons and fasteners for my wheel.

So, order carefully.

If anyone knows the details of what-fits-when, that would be useful for the OP.

Ian

This probably would not make much difference to many people, but BMW parts purchased through a BMW dealer carry a two-year unlimited-mileage warranty.

My specific bike it's a 2001 R1150 GS. I found a Niche Industries and they are selling brake rotors, but I know nothing about them. Anyone have any experience with them?

Added to the title and will move this thread to Oilheads later on. Good luck.

OM

Back