• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shame on you Honda!

nplenzick

It's been my experience with BMW and Triumph dealerships that when I was interested in a particular model I could test ride one of their demo's . I haven't had that same experience with Japanese brands, therefore you visited a rally or show where they had their demo fleet and you test rode one there.
I just returned from Daytona where Honda had their usual large red tent with all of their models under it, but no demo rides. It seems that with the economy they needed to cut back on this. I met three people, all of whom were ready to buy a new 09 Goldwing and came to Daytona to demo ride one. These people where really turned off by this and may be lost customers to Honda, especially since I pointed them to the BMW dealer and suggested a test ride on a LT.
First Honda takes motorcycle production back to Japan, then they cancel Honda homecoming and the Hoot. Now no demo rides.
What's ironic to me is not to far away from the Honda tent were two multi million dollar tractor trailers and one million dollar bus dedicated to the Motocross team.
These rigs looked like something you would see at a F1, Indycar, or NASCAR event.
I can understand rigs like this for auto series where you need multiple cars, engines, body panels etc. But for twelve dirt bikes? You gotta be kidding me!
I also might add that a few people watched one mechanic take a MX bike apart to the bare frame ( which took all of about 20 min) there seemed to be little interest in this fleet of expensive rolling advertising billboards.
It seems to me that the bean counters at Honda are counting the wrong beans.
There's a great article in the March issue of Backroads magazine ( here in the NE USA) by the editor/publisher Brian Rathjen. He relates the movie "The Happening" directed by M Night Shyamalan to what is going on right now with the some of the motorcycle manufactures. The movie if you haven't seen it is pretty much about people killing themselves for no real apparent reason. I would suggest to read it if you can.
Also in this article he states BMW will not have their demo fleet at Americade this year, so it seems BMW is not immune to shooting themselves in the foot ether.

You're right. Continue to spend the advertising dollars (racing) and pull out on marketing (selling to the people interested by the advertising). :scratch What idiots.

The local BMW dealer where I've bought many bikes is also a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and KTM dealer.

He has a nice new red 1800 Goldwing available for test rides.

Over the years I've test ridden many bikes there. I don't waste my time trying to do demo rides at rallys. Maybe I've gotten spoiled, but the only bike that I ever bought before test riding was my first Harley back in 92.

Before I bought my new 94 R1100RS, the dealer told my wife and me to take a test ride of at least 100 miles. So we did ...

The local BMW dealer where I've bought many bikes is also a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and KTM dealer.

He has a nice new red 1800 Goldwing available for test rides.

Over the years I've test ridden many bikes there. I don't waste my time trying to do demo rides at rallys. Maybe I've gotten spoiled, but the only bike that I ever bought before test riding was my first Harley back in 92.

Before I bought my new 94 R1100RS, the dealer told my wife and me to take a test ride of at least 100 miles. So we did ...

Maybe because the dealer you use is a BMW dealer and he knows the advantage of having a demo for rides. I would suspect he is very successful selling the other brands because of this. It's just not the case where I live here in SE Pa. They just don't do it.
Demo rides are a big plus for manufactures. I test rode an LT at the MOA in Lima and a few weeks latter I bought one. I test rode a V Strom last year at Daytona and a few weeks latter I bought that too. I also might add when I bought my LT my dealer had quit a few sales due mainly to the demo rides at Lima.

You're right. Continue to spend the advertising dollars (racing) and pull out on marketing (selling to the people interested by the advertising). :scratch What idiots.

I don't mind them spending money on racing as I'm an x racer myself. It's just the rigs they had for motocross bikes seemed ridiculous as I'm sure they could have the same results with just one tractor trailer.

Daytona Bike Week would be almost the last place and time I'd want to do a demo ride. It's right there with Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Daytona Bike Week would be almost the last place and time I'd want to do a demo ride. It's right there with Times Square on New Year's Eve.

It might be the last place you would demo a bike but there are many who wait in line for it. It's a chance for maybe a guy who rides a cruiser who may never walk into a BMW or Honda dealership to test ride one and maybe purchase one when they get home even if it takes months or a year.
Let's see, I'm I going to walk into a Honda dealership and buy a bike that I can't test ride because of a fancy ad in Cycle World? I don't think so!
As a business owner I feel Honda and other's are shooting themselves in the foot. Saving pennies while costing them thousands.

...Let's see, I'm I going to walk into a Honda dealership and buy a bike that I can't test ride because of a fancy ad in Cycle World? I don't think so! As a business owner I feel Honda and other's are shooting themselves in the foot. Saving pennies while costing them thousands.

Let's see...you will chastise them on a BMW forum? :stick

Demo rides at dealers make sense. I wouldn't buy a bike without one. But if I were a dealer I would want to offer demo rides not joy rides.

I wonder what the real cost is to the manufacturers? Triumph US pulled out of the bike show circuit over a decade ago and has dropped its demo trailer as far as I know. If the factory shot themselves in the foot buy doing so they grew their market share in the process. Sold as many in the US as BMW last year.

I'm inclined to agree with Mika on this one.

I wasn't at Daytona, who was there offering demo rides? I would imagine companies with a much smaller dealer network (like BMW) would be more inclined to do so, simply because you may not be exposed to their bikes anywhere near your home town (like Honda). Offering what often are nothing more than joyrides at an event like Daytona is probably a tremendous liability risk, and hard to justify against a small sales benefit these days. If one is interested in a Honda, their dealers are easy enough to find, as compared to BMWs, which may not even be considered otherwise (out of sight, out of mind).

Condemming Honda for moving some production out of the U.S. ?
Tell me, when has BMW ever built bikes in the U.S. ?
Oh right, they skipped us entirely and went straight to China.

Last edited:
I I met three people, all of whom were ready to buy a new 09 Goldwing and came to Daytona to demo ride one.

Since when do you *need* to test ride a Goldwing? Put on your open face helmet, go sit in your lazy boy and put a box fan in front of you and turn on the radio. Instant Goldwing simulator!
:hide

Years ago, I rode Hondas (used) and there was no Honda or other Japanese dealer in a large area that allowed demo rides. You paid your money and took your chances.

Let's see...you will chastise them on a BMW forum? :stick

Demo rides at dealers make sense. I wouldn't buy a bike without one. But if I were a dealer I would want to offer demo rides not joy rides.

I wonder what the real cost is to the manufacturers? Triumph US pulled out of the bike show circuit over a decade ago and has dropped its demo trailer as far as I know. If the factory shot themselves in the foot buy doing so they grew their market share in the process. Sold as many in the US as BMW last year.

Triumph, had there demo bikes at the speedway. They have also had there demo fleet at many of the events that I attended last year including vintage days at Barber motorsports park. Triumph did not attend the IMS shows but supported their dealers to do so at many of the locations. There were others at the speedway as well with their demo fleet. BMW was not there but I heard they were at the local dealer with their fleet.
BMW NA is located in New Jersey which is a few hours south of Lake George. For BMW not to have their demo fleet at one of this countries premier touring rallies is astounding to me.
I believe I read in this forum and it could have been a posting by you that Honda was pulling out of F1 and cutting back in many area's so they could concentrate on their roots ( motorcycles) because of a slowing economy. So far I see little of evidence of that. What I am seeing is unfounded panic in the business world.
Maybe that's why Triumph is one of the few companies that I believe increased sales last year.

Tell me, when has BMW ever built anything in the U.S. ?

BMW has one of the most beautiful and modern auto manufacturing plants in the world in Spartanburg, South Carolina where they make the Z4 and their SUV's. One hell of a nice test track as well.

MB

Maybe because the dealer you use is a BMW dealer and he knows the advantage of having a demo for rides. I would suspect he is very successful selling the other brands because of this. It's just not the case where I live here in SE Pa. They just don't do it.
Demo rides are a big plus for manufactures. I test rode an LT at the MOA in Lima and a few weeks latter I bought one. I test rode a V Strom last year at Daytona and a few weeks latter I bought that too. I also might add when I bought my LT my dealer had quit a few sales due mainly to the demo rides at Lima.

Have you visited Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA? He offers demos.

I'm inclined to agree with Mika on this one.

Tell me, when has BMW ever built bikes in the U.S. ?
Oh right, they skipped us entirely and went straight to China.

Not really condemning Honda for pulling their production from the U.S.. I had a talk with a Honda engineer at last years Bike Week when he explained to me why they were doing it. To make a long story short it seems when a Japanese company and the countries economy is not going well for so many quarters they bring production home. Interesting isn't it? Another interesting thing to think about is the bikes that they made here were pretty much sold and designed for the American market. Now they have to to ship them here.

Have you visited Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA? He offers demos.
That's my dealer! They were also the one that I was referring to who benefited from the demo rides at Lima that year. Because of Hermy's and there demo rides I also own a Triumph Sprint which I purchased this past Nov.
Here's a shameless plug for Hermy's ; They have been an absolute pleasure to do business with and it's been by far the best purchase experience of ANY motor vehicle I have made. Three and counting so far!

I have been to numerous bike dealers over the past year, buying parts for some old and oddball basket cases I am finally fixing up and getting rid of. I have yet to find any dealer, other than Harley Davidson, that did not allow demo rides. I have had some fun riding bikes from Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph, BMW, Buell, KTM, Susuki, Ural and even a Can-Am Spyder last fall.

For the past 2 years, in the spring, the local KTM dealer offered "special" off road adventure style rides that took 2 hours. You had to go with a small group led by either of the 2 owners and you had to wear a brand new Arthur Fulmer helmet, which they supplied. And you got to keep them even if you did not buy a bike. Now that is great advertising. I now have two Fulmer helmets that fit very nicely, though they are KTM Orange. At least you can see me!:thumb

:ca

I was interested in a ST1300 before I bought my 07 RT. I went to the local honda dealer and asked to test ride a ST. I was told we don't give test rides on sport bikes in a rather ignorant manor. My money spent just as well at the BMW dealer.

Honda Cycle Production

I heard at bike week that Honda delayed that move and will be making Goldwings here for an indefinite time. Rumor among wingers is that there will not be a new Wing until they move.

Back