• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOAL 2nd Sat R-2-E; 13Jan24

HSVPhil

AlaBeemer_Prez
Happy New Year Y’all!
Here’s hoping you’ve had your fill of family and indoor activities; it’s time for our first MOAL 2nd Saturday Ride-2-Eat of 2024.

I had planned to visit Beans and Greens in Ballplay, But they’ve decided to close for several weeks in January. We discovered this situation by pre-riding my planned route from Huntsville last Weds. We’ll use that route in a future month when all the pieces better connect and the weather improves.

Instead, the 13Jan24 R2E will rendezvous at/about 11:00 at the Harp and Clover gourmet Irish Pub; 124 Court Street, Gadsden, AL. It’s near to the Back Forty Brewing Co. Court Street is one-way going north towards Locust St. The Building is a large 3-story brick former office structure. It seems to have earned a reputation for good chow!
>> https://www.facebook.com/harpandclovergadsden/ <<
My Garmin waypoint:= << N34° 00.825' W86° 00.186’ >>

We plan to depart HSV from the Blue Plate Cafe on Governor’s Drive and make a stop at the Murphy’s gas station on south Memorial Parkway for un-Ethanol High-Test - departing there NLT 9:00 to arrive at “The Clover” ~1100.

This being January, it's gonna be chilly {mid-40s for the high}. You, however, may choose to arrive in a heated 4-wheeled conveyance. Hope to see one or more folks in January or later in the new year... ;)
Ciao, Phil & Karen

Here's the facade and street layout for the January gathering spot...
Court-St-District.jpeg

We had a most splendid turnout at the first MOAL Ride-2-Eat of 2024 in Gadsden, AL [19 total]. It was certainly chilly when we left Huntsville this morning {~30F @0900, but it did warm into the mid-40s coming home}. Five riders departed south on my un-tested Basecamp route. As happens too often, Garmin wanted us to turn onto nonexistent roadways {three times today with "Avoid unpaved roadways" selected}. I’ll be sending them map discrepancy reports fer sure…

We arrived at the Harp & Clover a bit early to find Jim McCorstin taking in the morning sun on their front stoop {he rode ~80 miles NE from Pelham, whereas we rode 70 miles south}. We were joined by 14 other "mature members" who chose to arrive by car. The pub is apparently popular because a line formed before they opened their doors at 1100. Our party was assigned to the auxiliary seating area where one server attemted to manage our many merged tables.

I’d say everyone enjoyed their chosen selections as they came out from the kitchen. They offered the typical deluxe Irish selections - mine was a delicious Shepard’s pie in a potato covered baking dish with side salad. Mrs-HSV selected a big grilled cheese sandwich paired with a hearty bowl of chili. Others tried the Bangers & Mash or the Fish & Chips. Our waitress and the kitchen tried to keep up, but we were there for about two hours with slow service. The main bar area was also jam-packed with guests. This establishment is only open for lunch or for dinner with a gap in the PM.

For my random selection as we drove north thru Gadsden from Mt Cheaha State Park, I did choose well for an MOAL R2E. The Mt Cheaha State Park leaves much to be desired at this time of year - like say Food or Drink! We’d visited years ago, before covid on a summer’s afternoon. The restaurant was working normally then and the views were commendable. January ain’t the time to visit this particular park or Lodge, although the scenery at Alabama’s Highest Pt was improved due to the lack of foliage. It’s a long drive to a restaurant from this Park Lodge [ N33° 28.527' W85° 48.432’ ] - hence the shortage of employees!

Stay tuned for the TBD February 2nd Saturday R-2-E!

The gaggle upon arrival - by moi...
MOAL-Riders.jpeg

The gaggle as seen by Susan.
Street-View-13-1-24.jpeg

The gaggle as seen by Jack - back to front.
Pub-Interior-1.jpeg

The gaggle as seen by Jack - front towards back.
Pub-interior-2.jpeg

Happy Trails in 2024!
Sláinte! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
:beer

Back