• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

service light reset prohibited??

Service in WI

I was told in no uncertain terms at Moto Union in Milwaukee that they will NOT do a reset if they don't do the work. I didn't even ask but apparently they get the question a lot. I get it. They're in business to make money and that isn't part of that plan. Plus, as mentioned, they didn't do the work so why should they "verify" it was done by resetting?

I'll just get the 911 tool. I was quoted $1200 for the 24K service. To me that's kind of steep.

Greetings: You should reach out to Jason Webber at Big Mikes in Beaver Dam. He was the service manager at Mischlers until they closed late last year, and now runs this new service shop. He brought the factory certified BMW tech with him, and they just did the 12k (I believe it is basically the same as the 24K) on my 2015 RT for less than half that amount. Great people, too! 920 219-9964

Greetings: You should reach out to Jason Webber at Big Mikes in Beaver Dam. He was the service manager at Mischlers until they closed late last year, and now runs this new service shop. He brought the factory certified BMW tech with him, and they just did the 12k (I believe it is basically the same as the 24K) on my 2015 RT for less than half that amount. Great people, too! 920 219-9964

That's awesome - thanks!

I was sad to see Mischler go. A real shame.

It's quite reasonable to believe a "Corporate" view that if the Master Computer Records don't show that a "Service" was actually performed (at ANY dealership), a dealer would not be permitted to reset the light. But I don't know if this is fact...

Some dealers will if you've been a steady customer and they "know" your bike. If it got overlooked at a Service, it "should" be free; if it's just a favor, a small charge for labor time is reasonable.
Maybe it just depends on who you talk to there...

On the other hand, you can do it yourself with the proper tools (like a GS-911) with no worries.

Re this and another post linking service with a light reset: The only record, if one were kept, would be the service reminder reset...it's not like the entry in the back of the owners manual where there's a stamp attesting to the fact of service performed. The only "official" service was resetting a light that annoyed the customer. Having said that, nothing surprises me so...there's that

I know we all have differing levels of OCD but when I had my 310GS and was doing my own service I ran with the service reminder indicator on all the time. It didn't bother me one iota. So you also have that option. It harms nothing. Unless of course it keeps you up nights. :nod

I know we all have differing levels of OCD but when I had my 310GS and was doing my own service I ran with the service reminder indicator on all the time. It didn't bother me one iota. So you also have that option. It harms nothing. Unless of course it keeps you up nights. :nod

Please…. Please…. Could you please put the letters in the proper order like intended in McGuffey’s Primer. It is CDO damn-it

alegerlotz;1256493 In almost every situation where I bring my vehicles in for service said:
This has been my experience far too often: Tires mounted backwards, lights left on by the shop, causing a dead battery, rear tire mounted improperly, on and on. Once a Ducati dealer (long gone thank goodness) dropped my Multistrada in the parking lot, damaging a lot of parts. It took months and a lot of arguing to get it all replaced. I've also gotten that same song and dance about a service light reset. So I have a GS-911 and do everything myself.

ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics

Need to reset service code. Is this tool and software the way to go since I can do my own oil changes and services?
bike is 2009 F650 GS twin.

Amazon for $60 plus cord is great deal versus dealer and 2 hour trip.

Thanks. Jim

Need to reset service code. Is this tool and software the way to go since I can do my own oil changes and services?
bike is 2009 F650 GS twin.

Amazon for $60 plus cord is great deal versus dealer and 2 hour trip.

Thanks. Jim

Good to hear :thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Gary

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I did email Wagner Motorsports yesterday afternoon telling them about two different responses regarding resetting the service light. They responded with apologies for the confusion and offered to reset it. I politely declined and probably will not step foot in there again. I never got a good feeling from their service desk.

When I have dealt with their parts department, totally different, friendly and helpful. Even sales was easy to deal with. Just not the service desk.

Anyway, someone on this forum offered to reset my service light and I am taking him up on it. :)

Thanks again everyone.
I fairness to Wagner's Motorsports, I had my '18 RT serviced there for everything except oil changes for 3 years until I recently sold it to get a gently used '20 R1250RS. Wagner's were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful and took excellent care of the bike when it was there. I travel 130 miles each way to them rather than the about 10 miles to the dealership I bought it at near my home and while the price was great the disappointing way I was treated, overcharged for fees and provided improperly completed vehicle registration documents.

Older bikes just have a nag light, but bikes with the TFT plaster a big text box over the display, which needs to be dismissed before you can see anything else. I use the Motoscan app and the adapter to reset mine.

Older bikes just have a nag light, but bikes with the TFT plaster a big text box over the display, which needs to be dismissed before you can see anything else. I use the Motoscan app and the adapter to reset mine.

Well, well! Isn't technology just wonderful?

As buyers expect their motorcycles to be just like their cars………….”Whaddya mean this motorcycle has a dipstick”?
:p
om

AS intended it's AS intended not LIKE intended. Do I have to do EVERYTHING important around here?!

Never capitalize for emphasis and never end a sentence with two punctuation marks no matter now emphatic you are trying to be.
That's from me. And my two friends. Which two friends? Mr. Strunk and Mr. White.:stick

AS intended it's AS intended not LIKE intended. Do I have to do EVERYTHING important around here?!

Never capitalize for emphasis and never end a sentence with two punctuation marks no matter now emphatic you are trying to be.
That's from me. And my two friends. Which two friends? Mr. Strunk and Mr. White.:stick

Back