• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 R1250GSA without LED Headlight

It will be interesting to hear how this goes. It sounds to me that the $500.00 credit was somewhere what the upgrade from the factory would cost……what the bike’s MSRP would have been if it had come equipped with the LED light.
Seems like it will now be time to pay the $500.00 for the upgrade. What will become of the parts removed….. :dunno
I guess if the above is somewhere near correct, and you want the LED upgrade, perhaps spend the $500.00 for the light and do the work yourself and had the old light as a spare?

OM

It will be interesting to hear how this goes. It sounds to me that the $500.00 credit was somewhere what the upgrade from the factory would cost……what the bike’s MSRP would have been if it had come equipped with the LED light.
Seems like it will now be time to pay the $500.00 for the upgrade. What will become of the parts removed….. :dunno
I guess if the above is somewhere near correct, and you want the LED upgrade, perhaps spend the $500.00 for the light and do the work yourself and had the old light as a spare?

OM

What my dealer told me was that I will have to pay full retail for the LED lamp >>> $2,700 plus AND labor for install.

Doesn't seem right.

What my dealer told me was that I will have to pay full retail for the LED lamp >>> $2,700 plus AND labor for install.

Doesn't seem right.

:eek

Like I mentioned, it will be interesting to see how this works out.

OM

I have not read all the forum rules.

Are we allowed to call out dealers like that?

And technically, they are just going with what BMW NA is doing.....which is nothing.

We Try to discourage a dealer rant as it is only one-sided and who knows what went on. That said, a real report when the dust settles can help the forum members.
This is a big enough issue so we will get a chance to hear of how members made out when the have completed the upgrade…… and the cost. :thumb

OM

We Try to discourage a dealer rant as it is only one-sided and who knows what went on. That said, a real report when the dust settles can help the forum members.
This is a big enough issue so we will get a chance to hear of how members made out when the have completed the upgrade…… and the cost. :thumb

OM

Copy that.

And technically this is not an "upgrade"....we are just trying to get our bikes up to what the spec sheet says it is supposed to have.

Copy that.

And technically this is not an "upgrade"....we are just trying to get our bikes up to what the spec sheet says it is supposed to have.

Yeah, I get it.

I’ve never had much luck in “after the sale” commitments. Good luck.

OM

I was not asking for a dealer rant. Just information. We have at least one member who says his dealer says the cost is $500 which offsets the reduction in the purchase price. We have another member who says his dealer says $2,500. And we have other conflicting information.

This forum could be useful in sorting out what is actually going on. Or it can decide not to do so.

This forum could be useful in sorting out what is actually going on. Or it can decide not to do so.

I prefer any BMW forum offers as much data on dealers and how they deal with consumers as possible. I'm not suggesting forum members take off into a rant but if a dealer doesn't treat all customers equally when it comes to new scooters and quality services, those of us that may be considering a new bike from that dealer should be made aware of it.

I was not asking for a dealer rant. Just information. We have at least one member who says his dealer says the cost is $500 which offsets the reduction in the purchase price. We have another member who says his dealer says $2,500. And we have other conflicting information.

Hearsay about something that has hasn’t actually occurred has the possibility of “Taring” the involved in something like this. Once those involved clearly describes how this LED changeover went, and the actual costs associated with this, members will have a clear idea of what is involved.

I prefer any BMW forum offers as much data on dealers and how they deal with consumers as possible. I'm not suggesting forum members take off into a rant but if a dealer doesn't treat all customers equally when it comes to new scooters and quality services, those of us that may be considering a new bike from that dealer should be made aware of it.

That’s one of the BIG benefits of the forum. So far it doesn’t sound like anyone has done this changeover/upgrade yet so anecdotal “possibilities” are all the forum has. Hopefully those involved will post how this LED changeover went, we will have some real information as to the cost, what is involved and the dealerships that did a great job along with the dealerships that let the customers down.

I hope for the best for all involved.

OM

Once those involved clearly describes how this LED changeover went, and the actual costs associated with this, members will have a clear idea of what is involved.

So far it doesn’t sound like anyone has done this changeover/upgrade yet so anecdotal “possibilities” are all the forum has. Hopefully those involved will post how this LED changeover went, we will have some real information as to the cost, what is involved and the dealerships that did a great job along with the dealerships that let the customers down.

I hope for the best for all involved.

OM

I was hoping that somebody didn't spend the $2,500 to dealer A when the same was available from dealer B for $500 And knowing which is A and which is B might be helpful. Sometimes anecdotal evidence is useful data.

So now my advice to Forum readers is do not spend $2,500 until somebody reports that they got it done for the $500 it is supposed to be.

Authorized BMW Motorrad dealers are independently owned and operated and ultimately set the final retail price for the products and services they sell. To discuss your pricing concerns, I suggest continue to work with your BMW Motorrad dealer further.

Should you need to contact BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services again, you can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Thanks again for writing us. I apologize for the frustration this may cause.

Kind regards,

Matthew
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

Last edited:
That's the email I received from BMW NA. So it appears corporate is washing their hands of this and leaving it up to the dealers.

My dealer is not going to step up to the plate and take care of this.

This is very disappointing after paying a hefty price for a premium brand.

Wow. Let me make sure I have this right. The decision to ship the bikes without LED lights was made by BMW corporate, yet no policy on making good on the refit was conveyed by corporate to dealers, leaving the final $$ decision and implementation of the LED refit up to the whims of individual dealers? Is that really the case? Or is this another case where the custom relations division has no clue what’s really in place?

Best,
DeVern

Wow. Let me make sure I have this right. The decision to ship the bikes without LED lights was made by BMW corporate, yet no policy on making good on the refit was conveyed by corporate to dealers, leaving the final $$ decision and implementation of the LED refit up to the whims of individual dealers? Is that really the case? Or is this another case where the custom relations division has no clue what’s really in place?

Best,
DeVern

Maybe all of the above? :hungover

It will be nice to hear the facts from someone that has completed this changeover.

OM

Advrider forum

From the ADVrider forum:

Spoke to my dealer today, they have the part # for the above kit. It is 77 51 1 542 186. Price is ~$600. Go get 'em!

From the ADVrider forum:

Spoke to my dealer today, they have the part # for the above kit. It is 77 51 1 542 186. Price is ~$600. Go get 'em!

Apparently there is a BMW part for those of us with halogen lamps that should have been LED lamps.

I'm going to reach out to my dealer tomorrow and see if I can get them to look into getting it for me.

Last edited:
I know its a different part but I got one of the early ‘21 RT without the TPMS due to the chip shortage. When they became available BMW offered them at a signifcant discount (60%?). I don’t remember if I had to pay for installation.

Back