• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Second Key on Trips Yes or No?

I always make sure to bring a fresh battery for the FOB, as I had one go bad from one moment to the next.... I never brought a spare key with me....Maybe I should?? :dunno

Being springtime, it a good time to check for the key that one hid on the bike. :p
OM

Lessons Learned

Friday October 13, 2017

Heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway on Day One of my Banjo on My Knee Tour. Went down after paying too much attention to the scenery and getting onto grass coming out of a curve. Tried to muscle my new Triple Black GSA back on to blacktop and low sided feet first with bike sliding behind me. Bike was fine, sore left wrist and sore left knee. Shredded sleeve on my new Darian Light Jacket Made my way to nearest dealership for an adjustment to my clutch lever. Made the dreaded “ I had a little get off” call to the Mrs who shocked me when she said “pop some ibuprofen and see how you feel in the morning.” I was sore but decided to continue on. At some point during the 30 minutes, the warning light came on. It took me a few minutes to figure out that I had lost my key. I backtracked along the road to my hotel hoping for a stroke of luck. Nope! Luckily for me, I did bring the plastic key with the chip. So I traveled on with my duck taped Darien jacket sleeve and doing the reach under with the plastic key and hitting the starter routine for the next 9 days. Got some strange looks every time I had to start the bike and it was a good thing I got a hooper’s wingspan, but I enjoyed trip. It’s not an adventure until something goes wrong. Aerostich make good stuff, don’t leave on Friday 13th, keep eyes on the road and always take the extra key!

I purchase a BMW key blank to use for the bags and the seat locks, but have been unable to find anyone to cut it. The dealer said they'd have to send it off or some such, which wasn't much help.

I purchase a BMW key blank to use for the bags and the seat locks, but have been unable to find anyone to cut it. The dealer said they'd have to send it off or some such, which wasn't much help.

It's easier to order the key precut from a dealer for around $35.
That's what we did on the last couple bikes we purchased.

My local locksmith not only cuts my BMW blank keys but also does not charge since I bring in the blanks. I suggest finding a locksmith in your area.

My local locksmith not only cuts my BMW blank keys but also does not charge since I bring in the blanks. I suggest finding a locksmith in your area.

Unless times have changed, BMW key blanks are steel, not brass. Many locksmiths don't like cutting steel keys because it is hard on their machines. Some don't care, and some have an old machine they use to cut steel keys.

Same problem

I had the same problem of finding a person to cut spare keys. A lot of the home locksmiths won't cut the steel keys as Paul mentions. I ended up after a long search in the yellow pages, LOL yes I still use such things, a high end automobile locksmith who had no problems but charged a lot more than Joe home locksmith.

Maybe if you live in the rural areas, such a locksmith may be hard to find but any fairly good size city should have at least one. Good luck, St.

Single sided keys can be copied by hand with some patience, a good triangular file and some patience. Double sided keys require extra patience.
The newer sided keys, the ones that have a “wavy” “trough” through the sides are much more difficult to copy. The machines are expensive and as so many come with a proprietary electronic fob. Small locksmith shops can’t make the purchase pay off.

It seems that a lot of car dealers use mobile locksmith services and I have seen the mobile services set up at the wholesale clubs. I’m not sure if they can help with this but may be worth asking if you see one of the highly decorated (wrapped) vans.

OM

The newer sided keys, the ones that have a “wavy” “trough” through the sides are much more difficult to copy. The machines are expensive and as so many come with a proprietary electronic fob.

OM

Here's what the new style wavy trough keys look like.
The bottom key is the precut one you can order from a dealer.

Keys (1).JPG

BMW key info

Go to laserkeyproducts.com for a PDF. Roll down to page 5 for BMW motorcycle key info. Your local locksmith would likely need this info to cut a blank for you.

I've tried two different lock-smiths in the Chattanooga area. Both said they didn't have the equipment to cut the fancy double-sided "wavy" BMW keys. I guess I'll just order a pre-cut one from the dealership.

Back