• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Second Key on Trips Yes or No?

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I gave this a search and nothing came up. I used to take a spare key with me on trips, but that was easy with regards to my '88 R100 RT. With only one key fob, there really isn't a second key to brink along with exception of the plastic emergency key. What do people do on trip? Hope and pray that you don't lose the key. Bring the plastic emergency key? Another option would be to buy a second key fob, but that takes a while to get here.

I gave this a search and nothing came up. I used to take a spare key with me on trips, but that was easy with regards to my '88 R100 RT. With only one key fob, there really isn't a second key to brink along with exception of the plastic emergency key. What do people do on trip? Hope and pray that you don't lose the key. Bring the plastic emergency key? Another option would be to buy a second key fob, but that takes a while to get here.

I always take the plastic emergency key when I ride.
I keep my fob in my pants pocket attached to a lanyard. It rarely leaves my pocket.
I use a non chipped metal key for the seat lock and GPS.
Your dealer can order a precut metal key for around $35.

Klim.jpg

On a trip, I wear the spare plastic key [ on the 16rs ] and a second chipped key [ made for me ] on the 2011rt around my neck via military paracord. Other than a shower, it stays on my neck 24/7.

I've never lost a second key in this manner.

Keys

I always have a spare ignition key on me even if riding around the corner. I lost a main key on a trip and was very happy I had the spare on my keyring on my belt. St.

I forgot to mention, everyone should make sure they know where to place the plastic key to start their bike. The four Wethead models all have a different locations.

The only key I've ever lost was my RT key. It was "lost" in the seat lock. If I carried two keys, I'd be sure to lose track of one of them.

I forgot to mention, everyone should make sure they know where to place the plastic key to start their bike. The four Wethead models all have a different locations.

I went out to make sure I could get the emergency key to work. It was very easy and it didn't take me long at all.

Yes, Voni and I carry spare keys when we travel. I have a spare to her R1100RS on my K75 key ring. With the 310s I have her spares and she has mine.

I enjoyed the good old days of yore. BMW had only about a half dozen or so different K75 keys. Once a rider on a K75 received an emergency message while at the Top of Rockies Rally. He needed to get back home ASAP. He quickly packed up his camping gear and then couldn't find his key. We got on the PA system and asked anybody who had a spare K75 or K100 key with them to come to the big tree by the stage. It took only a few tries before a key fitting his bike was found. Off he went! He mailed the borrowed key back to its owner when he got home. He did find his key in one of the nooks or crannies of his hastily packed up gear.

Voni and I have never really lost our keys but we have misplaced them on a couple of occasions, later to be found. Having spares saved a lot of angst and aggravation.

Yes, Voni and I carry spare keys when we travel. I have a spare to her R1100RS on my K75 key ring. With the 310s I have her spares and she has mine.

Even with our cars, when we go out of town in a car the person not driving carries a extra key or fob.

For all my spare keys I have a small leather coin purse with a zipper closure that permanently resides in an inner pocket of my riding gear. Since I’m an ATGATT rider I always have a spare key no matter which bike I jump on.

The last spare key I ordered for a fob-equipped bike ran about $50 IIRC, and required bringing the bike title and personal ID to the dealership to place the order. I use that spare for seat locks and such as fob keys have been known to break.

Best,
DeVern

I place two spare keys (one for each bike), one under each insole of each boot.

On a trip I carry a second set of keys on my belt, for the ignition, Givi top box and for my trailer.

I keep a spare key for my 640 in my tool roll. I don't carry one on my other bikes and a couple of them I only have 1 key and one of them doesn't even take a key.

We always travel with a second key. It's the plastic one (with chip). So far we've never needed it but it's nice knowing it's there.

I carry my emergency key in my helmet. It is taped under the padding at the crown of the interior of the helmet.

Lol

Okay, this is not BMW but funny in regard to this topic.

I had to leave my Mazda for brakes and I could not pick the car up at the end of day Friday. My shop agreed to let me use my spare key, (fob) to pick up the car and pay them Monday. Guess what has a low battery and almost doesn't unlock the car?

Funny how the electrons made their escape from my spare fob while it hung on the key hook. So, Yes, I always carry a spare key for my bikes, and now, I better start rotating my car key fobs. Having a spare one won't do much good if the battery is dead. St.

. So, Yes, I always carry a spare key for my bikes, and now, I better start rotating my car key fobs. Having a spare one won't do much good if the battery is dead. St.

The batteries are good for a couple years but each January I change all the 2032 batteries in our car, motorcycle and bicycle stuff.

To mitigate the risk of losing/misplacing my two fobs, each has an Apple AirTag attached to the ring. Just a couple of months into owning my GSA, I haven’t thought out yet how I’ll manage my plastic emergency key; clearly, it’s a worthwhile question to address.

The batteries are good for a couple years but each January I change all the 2032 batteries in our car, motorcycle and bicycle stuff.

I'm on a schedule like that as well. Plus I carry two spare 2032's in a pannier at all times. Forethought goes a long way.

I also change the batts in my high intensity handheld lights every 6 months whether the lights were used or not. I have 5 around the house, one on each motor and same with the truck and car.

Back