• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saddlebags / Panniers

Now I understand..

I do use the pegs sometimes. But I have Wunderlich adjustable's and I weigh'bout 280. so I have concerns about how much of that they can take?

I don't know, I try not to think about that kind of thing.

Adjustable footpegs, will wonders never cease? Please tell me they're not electrically actuated.

Anyway back to the thread.

I don't know, I try not to think about that kind of thing.

Adjustable footpegs, will wonders never cease? Please tell me they're not electrically actuated.

Anyway back to the thread.

No, they are mechanically "position" adjustable. More comfort, but do not seem as "stout" as the originals.

"
The main reason for giving up my R80RT and buying a R1100R is the lower center of gravity and a bit lighter and lower! Perhaps a Burgman is in my future."

I am surprised at this as I actually think my R1100RT is pretty top heavy compared to the R80RT I traded it for. I think it is heavier, too. In fact, lately I've gone back to practicing in a parking lot pulling out of a "T" type street stop so I stay safely in my correct lane. Going too close to a sharp 90 degree turn and the 1100 wants to tip over. Way too risky for me. I too, have thought seriously about a Burgman, (or an F bike) for many practical reasons, my safety, and their ease of use being two.

I see the problem with the wide bags and stiff joints. I won't suggest Yoga, although I am tempted to. I agree with others, the bags on the R1100 seem to be much sturdier than the old style bags, although the old style did the job. The new ones seem to lock, and lock on, better. I feel they could be larger, as the non square, stylish shape doesn't seem to lend itself to holding as much as say, the aluminum boxes on GS bikes. Of course BMW does sell the large lids, which I would have to buy to camp two-up on this bike. The GIVI 46 top case is the one to own. Wish I had one on mine.

I never thought the Bates bags looked that great, even new on the old airheads. But if they work for you, and let you keep riding, sounds like a good solution. It seems rare to see a BMW that hasn't been altered to some degree for rider comfort. Harleys seem to be always altered.... but with just more chrome.

"

I am surprised at this as I actually think my R1100RT is pretty top heavy compared to the R80RT I traded it for. I think it is heavier, too. In fact, lately I've gone back to practicing in a parking lot pulling out of a "T" type street stop so I stay safely in my correct lane. Going too close to a sharp 90 degree turn and the 1100 wants to tip over. Way too risky for me. I too, have thought seriously about a Burgman, (or an F bike) for many practical reasons, my safety, and their ease of use being two.

I see the problem with the wide bags and stiff joints. I won't suggest Yoga, although I am tempted to. I agree with others, the bags on the R1100 seem to be much sturdier than the old style bags, although the old style did the job. The new ones seem to lock, and lock on, better. I feel they could be larger, as the non square, stylish shape doesn't seem to lend itself to holding as much as say, the aluminum boxes on GS bikes. Of course BMW does sell the large lids, which I would have to buy to camp two-up on this bike. The GIVI 46 top case is the one to own. Wish I had one on mine.

I never thought the Bates bags looked that great, even new on the old airheads. But if they work for you, and let you keep riding, sounds like a good solution. It seems rare to see a BMW that hasn't been altered to some degree for rider comfort. Harleys seem to be always altered.... but with just more chrome.

I'm like you, I think the oilheads are higher center of gravity as well...but no point arguing that. If this doesn't help on my "stiff' days I may consider an older airhead for that reason. Or as you suggested an "F". Go ahead and mention yoga, no harm or offence. I do a program of Williams stretches & am doing chiropractic treatments as well. As far as the Bates bags go ? I guess it's all subject to taste? & in this case function. And often function outweighs form, in my opinion anyway. When completed the [motorcycle] will not be altered in any way. And if I should want to ? or perhaps a new buyer would prefer ? the OEM systems can be placed back on in 1/2 hour or less.

Back