• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ignorant Newbie Wants BMW Buying Advice

What is a GS-911?

A BMW Motorcycle diagnostic tool. I have both the GS-911 and the MotoScan.

Considering what the GS-911 goes for (US$400), it could not do something as simple as a 12H to 24H time format change on my 2016 R1200 GSA that the MotoScan could do. I have the top of the line MotoScan Ultimate (€50 or about US$55). You need either a Windows PC/Laptop for the GS-911 or an Android phone or tablet for the MotoScan.

...but one more thing for you to consider (I don’t mean to add to your angst) is that many dealers won’t work on older models. Sometimes just 10 years old and they’ll refuse.

Not an issue for me since I have done all my own work in over 50 years, but if that is the case, time to find another dealer. Nothing can be as simple as working on an airhead or an oilhead. No fancy-smancy high tech BS as it is on the water-cooled R1200/R1250 models.

A BMW Motorcycle diagnostic tool. I have both the GS-911 and the MotoScan.

Considering what the GS-911 goes for (US$400), it could not do something as simple as a 12H to 24H time format change on my 2016 R1200 GSA that the MotoScan could do. I have the top of the line MotoScan Ultimate (€50 or about US$55). You need either a Windows PC/Laptop for the GS-911 or an Android phone or tablet for the MotoScan.

Not an issue for me since I have done all my own work in over 50 years, but if that is the case, time to find another dealer. Nothing can be as simple as working on an airhead or an oilhead. No fancy-smancy high tech BS as it is on the water-cooled R1200/R1250 models.

I have never used MotoScan, but I do own the GS-911. Wanted to share my experience with it.

My version does allow the clock change (on my 2013 1200R anyway).

You do not need a computer of any kind for the GS-911. It has a stand alone mode that allows you to connect wirelessly to it (it becomes the access point). From there, you can set it up with a tablet, phone, PC, Mac....whatever you have that runs a web browser. If you want to do an update on the device, you will need to connect it to an existing Wifi network that has internet access. Once you do that, you can check for an update from the device itself and it will update.

Another really cool thing about the GS-911 is that if you connect it to an existing Wifi network with internet access, you can allow someone to remote control the device. This might come in handy if you want to leverage some of the global expertise available from experts all over the world.

The support from the GS-911 folks is excellent. The first unit I received had an issue with the wifi radio. It wouldn't stay connected. Their tech support was great and determined the unit was defected and had me send it back. The replacement I received has worked great.

I have never used MotoScan, but I do own the GS-911. Wanted to share my experience with it.

My version does allow the clock change (on my 2013 1200R anyway).

I have the GS-911 WiFi that I bought new in 2016. And at that time and thereafter for a few years the clock change was not possible. That is why I also bought the MotoScan Ultimate version for 1/8 the cost. It worked and was able to make the change.

You do not need a computer of any kind for the GS-911. It has a stand alone mode that allows you to connect wirelessly to it (it becomes the access point). From there, you can set it up with a tablet, phone, PC, Mac....whatever you have that runs a web browser. If you want to do an update on the device, you will need to connect it to an existing Wifi network that has internet access. Once you do that, you can check for an update from the device itself and it will update.

What do you call a PC? A computer! And the unit does not have a screen such as a diagnostic tester would have. You need a PC, Tablet, etc to read the codes and activate things, etc.

The support from the GS-911 folks is excellent.

Unfortunately not. At the time I used their forum and contacted HEX GS-911 (clock change was not possible) and I got no further ahead.

And as usual, I have no affiliation with GS-911 or MotoScan.

What do you call a PC? A computer! And the unit does not have a screen such as a diagnostic tester would have. You need a PC, Tablet, etc to read the codes and activate things, etc.

My 37 years in IT has caused me to think of technology differently than most. My apologies for not being more specific.

You DO NOT need a specific device to connect to the GS-911....you only need a device that has a web browser and can join a wifi network. Whatever that device is. Doesn't matter. Phone, tablet, PC, Mac, Chromebook, Smart TV, etc. The GS-911 runs what appears to be a Linux (or similar) OS that has a web server running on it. The device itself does all the resetting, activating, etc. The code executes on the device itself. The web browser just shows you a "picture" of what's going on and provides a user interface.

It's no different than using this website. You are seeing in your web browser the code that is executing on this web server.

As I mentioned, I've never used a MotoScan, but I did research it before I made my buying decision. The MotoScan appears to be a device that connects an Android device to the bike. The code runs on the Android platform and the MotoScan device itself is just an adapter. So to purchase the MotoScan tool, I would have to purchase an Android phone or tablet which would have been more than the cost of the GS-911 unit itself. I like that the GS-911 is completely autonomous. It makes it easier to troubleshoot and support. When developers write code, it's much easier to write that code for a dedicated platform versus having to write code that will run on the hundreds of different versions of hardware and software for Android.

If you already own an Android device, then the MotoScan is the way to go. I will be cheaper to purchase and from what I have read, users are very satisfied with it.

At some point, you will need to replace your Android device. The software may get updated to the point where it won't run on older devices. The nice thing about having a all-in-one self contained unit like the GS-911 is that if it works today, it will work tomorrow...until the hardware fails. It's not dependent on any other platform to run.

I think about technology differently than most since I have so much experience with it. I currently work as an IT Solutions Architect and if I were consulting on a project, I'd always push to remove as many dependencies and points of failure that I could provided it didn't push above the budget constraints. That's what you have with the GS-911. Yes, it's more expensive. But....it's a wholly self contained unit that doesn't need any external software or devices to run. Just a simple web browser to connect to the onboard web server. You can also download a thick client for GS-911 and connect via a USB cable if you choose. I have tried both, and it's just more bulky to drag a laptop into the garage. I perfect connecting wirelessly using my phone.

At some point, you will need to replace your Android device. The software may get updated to the point where it won't run on older devices.

Even if the above is the case, at 1/8th the cost of a GS-911 (and I have one), most people (I don't) replace their phones or tablets as often as I replace my underwear. LOL

Here is MotoScan's Change Log or updates.

I have the gs911 wifin as well. Never had issues with the 12/24h time change on my 2013 f800gt, just got the adapter for newer bikes but haven't tried in my 23 1250rs yet.

It let me change the dash units on the 800 in ways the dealer wouldn't, as a typical Canadian I use a split if imperial and metric daily so that was great. Also handy little diagnostic tool.

I can't say I've compared them like for like in features, but phone+motoscan is definitely more costly than the 911 alone if you aren't already an android user, and frankly as someone who's gone the android app+device route, a android security update or change in security policy easily leaves old apps and devices useless with new devices.

The benefit of the 911 being a full contained device without that dependency and using a common browser/web interface avoids that issue.

But if you're an android user and looking for the quickest and cheapest way to get a likely similar feature set it seems like a good option. Hopefully they have good long term support.

I have the gs911 wifin as well. Never had issues with the 12/24h time change on my 2013 f800gt, just got the adapter for newer bikes but haven't tried in my 23 1250rs yet.

Well it wasn't in the software in the GS-911 for my 2016 R1200 GS Adventure. Why would Hex GS-911 put it in the software for one older model and not another newer model? Also, on some BMW models, you were able to make the 12H/24H time change without any tools, simply done using the instrument controls, so I was told.

My GS-911 forum thread. If it works now, great, except it didn't when I bought the GS-911 and you'd think spending a whopping CA$565, it could handle such a simple task. It seems one other S1000RR owner could not change it either and that was in Sept 2021.

In any case, done now with my $55 MotoScan a few years back.

What do you call that handheld computer you have that makes phone calls? It's got some exponential factor of processing vs. the room sized, 64k computers I worked on in the mid 70s. Your phone is a computer and its OS is Android. Your device requires a computer, as well.

Don't be obtuse.

Well it wasn't in the software in the GS-911 for my 2016 R1200 GS Adventure. Why would Hex GS-911 put it in the software for one older model and not another newer model? Also, on some BMW models, you were able to make the 12H/24H time change without any tools, simply done using the instrument controls, so I was told.

My GS-911 forum thread. If it works now, great, except it didn't when I bought the GS-911 and you'd think spending a whopping CA$565, it could handle such a simple task. It seems one other S1000RR owner could not change it either and that was in Sept 2021.

In any case, done now with my $55 MotoScan a few years back.

I"m glad it works for you. Are you done telling everybody how wrong they are by using their GS-911?

What do you call that handheld computer you have that makes phone calls? Your device requires a computer, as well.

Don't be obtuse.

I never said it wasn't. I think you need to read the first line in paragraph 3 in post #63 above.

And both the GS-911 and the MotoScan need a PC, tablet, phone, etc. I never said they didn't.

Anyway, the OP asked what a GS-911 is and I replied along with options which the MotoScan is.

The ECUs between bike series are different, I can't say with certainty why your bike didn't have the time change when you tried it, but it's possible support for whatever computer is in your series/year of bike was being added at the time. Your thread shows support pointed you to a beta firmware, did that solve anything?

It's not a cheap tool, and for some with Android phones maybe not the best option for them, but it is a good tool in my opinion, with benefits that I think we've covered already.

All I can say is my personal experience, which with my last bike was excellent. Time change, maintenance interval resets, code resets, programming the dash units to a non standard mix of imperial/metric, and just confirming sensor values for a number of diagnostic investigations and curiosities I had. Never failed me.

I was able to plug it into my 23 RS, update the firmware on the 911 and clear a din plug fuse code and do a full check without any issue, so support for new bikes doesn't seem to take long. Wouldn't have minded if the 10pin to obd cable was cheaper but if that's all it needs to support new bikes that's pretty good.

Your thread shows support pointed you to a beta firmware, did that solve anything?

No because I checked for replies shortly after posting the question in the forum. I can now see that it took almost 2 months for someone to reply. Pretty active forum. :laugh

Its unfortunate that the date cannot be changed to YYMMDD as it is not in the ECU as an option. I prefer 24H time and that date format because 07-08-23 can mean anything...July 8th or Aug 7th.

There are a few videos on YouTube showing the differences between the two units.

Back