• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ignorant Newbie Wants BMW Buying Advice

I know what ABS is in principle, and I think servo is a sort of power-brake mechanism that is accomplished with a motor (as opposed to a vacuum diaphragm like in cars) but yes, I find them otherwise mysterious. And the servo things can go out and the repair can be expensive. I did see one 1150 that had factory ABS and not factory servo.

iirc, the servo system was added to the second-generation Bosch ABS to increase the pressure in the system. It was a last-ditch effort to get the Bosch system to pulse more rapidly. My 02 K12RS had this system and bleeding it properly was a painful process.

In 2006 I had the privilege of testing the R1200S for the BMW Owners News, which featured a new Continental ABS system, that did not require a pump for adequate ABS function. BMW made a big deal out of that at the press conference.

_DK_3619-X2.jpg

DSCN3385-X2.jpg

the comments about noisy modern bikes is interesting given that water cooling is supposed to make them quieter, not louder.

BMW sure changed designs quite a bit over the last twenty years. I guess I feel happy there is so much love for the 1100 through early 1200 bikes here. Simplicity is attractive to me.

My personal issue with the new LC design, outside of sounding like a rock crusher, is that they changed the orientation of the split in the engine cases, and relocated the alternator... now the entire engine requires disassembly should the alternator fail. This is worse, imo, than having to remove the back half of the oilheads in order to lube the splines. The new multi-plate clutch I saw as an improvement, at least you don't have to split the bike in half to service it!

They've made progress on the engine noise issue, imo, but engine in the last of the oilheads was far superior. Ever since then, BMW has been caught up in a horsepower war with KTM and Ducati (showroom specs showdown)

Yours truly, testing the last of the oilhead GS in Yosemite, also for the BMW Owners News.
AN8E2470-X4.jpg

Photo by Kevin Wing

Standing up for the camera!
AN8E3318-X2.jpg

Photo by Jon Beck

Remind me to tell you the story of the snow and Jimmy Lewis.
AN8E3803-X2.jpg

Photo by Jon Beck

To me, LC engines sound like rock crushers compared to the last of the oilhead. :dunno

When we switched from K bikes to the 2016 R1200RS LC I was surprised how noisy the engine was at idle.
Our 1250 bikes are quieter than the 1200 LC.

Last edited:
Hm. First and foremost, I really appreciate the input - advice - recommendations here.

Someone said, on another forum, "Jim you are over-thinking this. Just buy one and ride." Well....any car salesman can tell you that most car purchases are made for emotional reasons. Someone stumbles onto a car lot not knowing what they want and not even sure whether they want to buy a car. They fall in love with something and can't live without it. Salesman asks "Can you see yourself in this car?" Yes, they think they will look cool in that car and they buy it.

A better method is to decide first whether they want to buy something and, if so, why. Then they think about what they will use the car for and do their homework. They decide what car they will buy, and then they find that car. Maybe they decide on a low-miles Toyota Tacoma with factory air, factory tow package, automatic transmission. Because of their research and how they will use the vehicle. The auto industry is robust, and that industry finds them the vehicle.

Well, I've been doing my research and my head is swimming. It's time for me to pull the trigger. I think a later wethead bike is just too much bike for me. Too much complexity and I don't need that much horsepower. Then again, I see a low-miles (under 20K) GS for less than $11K.

I think I would prefer and air-cooled Boxer. An oilhead or hexhead or camhead. But dang...I'd feel like I must remove the transmission and look at the splines. And even then, there is so much unsettled conjecture about why those splines fail. Simple lack of grease? Or maybe misalignment or improper shimming to ensure proper engagement.

Here is a question: The input shaft spline thing was quite a problem on every early oilheads, and less troubling on bikes after 2002. Is this a rare problem for 2005-2012 bikes? A non-issue that I could just ignore? I suppose I could continue my research to answer this on my own, but I am starting to get tired of over-thinking this.

Perhaps instead of trying to make a pick based on checking boxes, ride the models that appeal to you. You may find that the bike that works best for you isn’t the best on the checklist. Allow yourself to be more subjective in your search. It would be a shame to find out you don’t really like the bike that checks all the boxes.

Doug

Get a belt drive BMW.:) YES, I have had a 1975 airheaed and a 2004 1150R too.

Why didn't I think of that? :ha Good recommendation! I saw the sweetest F800GT at Knopf Tours after my last ride. The guy picked it up with 8k miles for about $7k USD. I thought it was the perfect size and cost... not too big, Rotax motor... so many other good things. I recall the earlier models F800S and F800R having some bearing issues with the rear wheel, but by the time the GT came out, the issues were resolved.

KurtHusqvarna4-X2.jpg

This is a good community. I am glad I joined.

It is a Boxer I have always wanted, and I will likely stick with that goal. Heck, if I don't stick with that then I'd probably end up with a Honda or Moto Guzzi. ;)

I got to drone on about my dislike for the 1150 bikes and talk about my experience with faulty stick coils on my departed '04 R1150RT. In 2005 when my bike had around 5K miles it began surging badly and it was intermittent so for the next 10K miles I tried to figure out what was wrong without success. Then we took a ride through Idaho down into Nevada and the bike had never run better. Then on the return trip back to our home at the time in Baker City, OR we stopped on the Nevada/Oregon borderer for lunch on US95 at McDermitt, Nevada. Now, this is very remote country in the middle of nowhere. We finish lunch and fire up the 1150 and what happens? No primary spark plugs and the bike was running only on secondary plugs as both stick coils had completely failed. We made it home which was not fun but we made it. It was pretty obvious what had happened so $400 for new stick coils from BringMoreWallet. I was surprised why both coils had died completely at the same time but that's what happened. Long and short is the R1100 bikes don't use stick coils or have secondary plugs which to me is also a very big plus for the 1100 machines. Simplicity is also a very big plus for an airhead bike. Best bike I ever owned was my '77 R75/7 which I bought new in '76 and should never have sold. Had a clunky transmission which was typical for airheads built prior to around '81 or thereabouts.

Another poster mentioned the telelever suspension and I totally agree that the telelever is a big plus for later BMWs from the R1100 bikes to the present. If I could own a new R1250 without the electronic whistles and bells I would but that's a pipe dream. I can see an ECU that only controls ignition and fueling but that's my limit. Not interested in electronic cruise control either since I don't travel on freeways only secondary roads and I'm 60 miles from the closest 4 lane limited access highway, thank god!

I have a '99 R1100 S which I love. Mine is nn ABS so a simpler machine. It makes a great sport tourer!

Pretty bike that to me is totally unique in the world. There is nothing else that has those looks.
67044248383__C6602E97-21D5-4394-88C9-09D73038C2BA-XL.jpg

Tours nicely.
IMG_3319_heic-XL.jpg

This bike had 90K km's on it when I got it. No issues to speak of and it simple to service.

Florence, OR can be described as the best overall place to live. ;)

I would have to agree with that. Although Bandon is probably my favorite. It's about 75 miles from here and today I rolled south to Bandon on the FJR to buy 4 of the most fantastic cookies on the planet. Two for me and two for Susie. Yummmm. Well, it is always a good excuse to take a ride. Next ride south I take the BMW.

Hey, I just looked at your profile and I was also born on November 30. Not looking forward to 11/30 because I turn 80. Well, better than the alternative.

I have a '99 R1100 S which I love. Mine is nn ABS so a simpler machine. It makes a great sport tourer!

Pretty bike that to me is totally unique in the world. There is nothing else that has those looks.
67044248383__C6602E97-21D5-4394-88C9-09D73038C2BA-XL.jpg

Tours nicely.
IMG_3319_heic-XL.jpg

This bike had 90K km's on it when I got it. No issues to speak of and it simple to service.

Nice bike you have there. Here's mine. She's a '93.

CIMG1113.jpg

My first BMW was a ’96 R1100R, and I loved it. It was a great bike. Put some bags on it and you’re set to go across country.

E.

Last edited:
Perhaps instead of trying to make a pick based on checking boxes, ride the models that appeal to you. You may find that the bike that works best for you isn’t the best on the checklist. Allow yourself to be more subjective in your search. It would be a shame to find out you don’t really like the bike that checks all the boxes.

Doug

I agree with Doug.

Go ride the bikes you're thinking about. Ignore the spec sheets and theoreticals and reputations for a while. Rent the bikes you're interested in from Twisted Road or Riders Share and/or test ride some models at your local or semi-local Motorrad dealers.
Despite our vast powers on these forums as The Wizards of All Motorrad Knowledge Technical And Otherwise, we cannot experience for you the feel of an engine between your knees, how it pulls and sounds and buzzes as the tachometer rises, the sensation of diving into and powering out of a turn, how the controls and seat fit to you, whether you find the idle sound and luggage latches and dashboard switches and windshield position annoying or blissful...
All of those things will be subtly (or widely!) different with each generation and model you've listed. Do yourself a favor and write down how each one you ride makes you feel and what you like or dislike. Evaluate the list of dislikes from the bikes you really enjoyed riding to figure out which ones can be fixed -- things like an uncomfortable factory seat can be easily remedied by having it rebuilt, for example. Heck, share your opinions here as you experience them.

Maybe you, like me, will fall in love with a 1997 R850R and love it so much that you buy its bigger sibling too. You can't really know until you experience these great machines for yourself.

Hm. Not sure why it says that or how I can fix it. I was born on September 12.

When I go to my Profile on the forum my birth date is not one of the items I can edit.
If you go to the bmwmoa.org site you can edit your birth date in the Profile there.
Let us know if you need more instructions.

Hey, I just looked at your profile and I was also born on November 30. Not looking forward to 11/30 because I turn 80. Well, better than the alternative.

Hm. Not sure why it says that or how I can fix it. I was born on September 12.

November 30 is the forum default for those that have not specified a particular date. If it happens to be THE day, Happy Birthday!

:bar

OM

The hundred-dollar question is: What to buy?

At the other end of the spectrum i am considering is a Wethead GS, which can be had for $10-$14K. Superior performance numbers, but greater complexity and it has something that makes me want to look away: A radiator. Every motorcycle I have ever ridden has been air-cooled.

Then get an airhead GS or an Air/Oil cooled GS.

There is a reason why I have four GSes from an 1986 R80 G/S PD to a 2016 R1200 GS Adventure. No Tupperware, large gas tanks and I can sit on them for 1000 miles if needed and still feel normal.

Back