• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacing Security System Batteries - 2007 R1200S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Hi Folks,

A buddy had his 1200S out for a ride. Stopped for a coffee. Went to restart the bike and it wouldn't crank. Threw a code indicating his security system batteries were low. Trailered bike home, got under the seat and replaced the lithium batteries in the security control system. Code is now gone but bike still won't crank. All lights have full power. Main battery was replaced last year. Does the bike need to go to the dealer to get something reset or is there something else he needs to do besides replace the security batteries?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

For any who are interested, it seems the antenna in the ignition lock is faulty.

On the K bikes when the antenna ring fails you get a EWS light on the dash.
Until BMW fixed the problem a lot of riders used to carry a spare antenna ring.
This was a campaign around 2008 or so.

First...nice to know someone else, though maybe not a member here, has a R1200S:thumb

Ours does not have security system, but does have the year range EWS ring that was prone to failure. On the ones I have seen/dealt with EWS does show in display. Just don't hear about them like we did in those year ranges when new.

I will say no more as our spare ring resides in my GSA sidecase...not helpful when riding the S far from home.

First...nice to know someone else, though maybe not a member here, has a R1200S:thumb

Now that the problem is identified we can now go wildly off topic. While the performance of the 1200S is measurably better than that of the 1100S, I found its styling to be a little less than attractive. That's not a statement on your personal taste, Mr. Henson. :D

And I told my buddy to join the MOA sooner than later.

Back