• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DWA (anti theft) battery change

I thought I would document this for all who own Wetheads. This was performed on my 2015 R1200RT.

A couple things I learned along the way. CR123 and CR123A batteries are ALMOST exactly the same, the only difference being 0.55mm in height. I'm sure it doesn't matter, but since there IS a measurable difference, I went ahead and got some CR123A's from Best Buy. The batteries I replaced, which I'm assuming came from the factory since I'm the only owner and this is the first change, were Panasonic. So...nothing special.

I'm including some pictures. Getting to it is really no big deal. Remove both seats. Remove the top box. Then remove the luggage rack which is six screws. I just left them in their holes and gently removed the luggage rack and set it to the side.

Then it gets a little annoying. You can't really get a screwdriver straight on to the back screws, and trying to unscrew them without the screwdriver being perpendicular to the screw head will strip the screw. One option is to remove most of the tailpiece/shroud...whatever you want to call it...and then fully expose the battery housing.

Since I didn't want to deal with that, and I'll probably have to do this again in the future, I opted to Dremel a little of the shroud so that my screwdriver would go straight in to the screw head.

Under the luggage rack.
Under Luggage Rack.jpeg

Battery box and cover
Battery Box.jpeg

Here's where I Dremel'd out the notches for the screwdriver. This piece is under the luggage rack so you never see it.
Dremeled Notches.jpeg

And here's a top-down view of what the screwdriver needs.
90º view fro screwdriver.jpeg

This small mod will make it a super simple job next time.

And once it's done, activate the security system while the bike is off, and it will recognize the new batteries. When you start it back up, the alert should be gone.

Hope this helps somebody in the future.

Last edited:
Back