• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rebuild novice takes on 1976 R75/6

You just want to make sure that it is only the metal parts and nothing else that can be hurt by the hot water.

This works well on old carbs. You just have to sneak a pot from the boss.

I'm slowly renovating my house and I use hot water to get old paint off door hardware, etc. Not wanting to contaminate a cooking vessel I picked up a pot at the local thrift store for short money. I keep it with my tools when not in use and will try it next time I need to clean a very dirty carb.

Welcome to the forum.

Quite a project!

I like the pearl white Beemer photo.

Like you, I bought my first Airhead in 2009, a very neglected '82 R65LS. Should've taken my dad's advice - he used to say "take off the radiator cap and put a new car beneath it."

Mine needed EVERYTHING. Only had 19k on the clock but due to age and being stored outside, I elected to replace pushrod seals, rings (as long as i was in engine), and had valve job. Also replaced alternator brushes. Oh, transmission had to be rebuilt too - had a broken 50 cent clip.

Bought a lot of parts from Motobins in England - they have just about an Airhead part you'll need and they're quite efficient and accurate. I find navigating their website easy. Shocks & tires I bought here in US.

Had to re-line tank (POR) as bike had sat outdoors with gas in locked tank (had to drill out lock to remove cap). Carbs needed rebuilding - bought kit from Bing. Had to do again because my first technique didn't remove all the residue - an ultrasonic machine from Harbor Freight did the magic. Removed wiring harness from frame & had it sandblasted & painted and same with black engine parts where paint was all worn off - used soda blaster (also from Harbor Freight) & POR High Heat Paint.

I took similar approach - R&R what needed to be done, put her back together and ride her. It's taken @ 750 miles to work bugs out - exhaust pipe kept blowing out of header - long story. Just a lot of misc. tweaking and tinkering.

Now have her where she almost should be. Runs good and is a lot of fun

Looking forward to watching your posts as you progress with your restoration.

Advice: Be patient. Respect the marvels of engineering. There is a reason every part goes where it goes on your bike. I've learned to take nothing for granted.

Was that your bike I read about in the MOA mag? I read with keen interest as I just started on a 1979 R65 -- she's a wreck, but I'm working it!

Attachments

• degrimed.jpg
    degrimed.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 111
Back