• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R60/6 progress

kentuvman

Thanks to you all who provided encouragement on some necessary major maintenance on my recently acquired 1976 R600.

The bike had sat for a lot of years and previous owner threw a lot of money and parts trying to figure out why she wasn't running right - here's all I've done so far:
1) Carbs removed and run through ultrasonic several times - the last time I boiled water, added a few ounces of simple green and that really removed the residue from gas sitting in the carbs - the bike was stumbling because the atomizer on right carb was missing!
2) Inside of Fuel tank was rusty - used POR gas tank treatment and that worked out great.
3) Petcock valves were leaking - rebuilt both - instructional video on You Tube helped a lot.
4) Rode bike to a tech day event and when we went to balance carbs bike would not start - front cam seal was bad and had leaked oil on the points - replaced the cam seal and was afraid I'd driven the seal in a bit too far but so far no leaks.
5) My friend Niel Petersen (BMW MOA member and retired mechanical engineer) came over to see the bike and wanted to help with a clutch spline lube - unfortunately when we removed transmission, oil was present and pretty significant which meant rear seal had to be replaced.
6) Removed clutch and it looked good as only 26k on odometer - either clutch had never been removed or someone torqued the crap out of them because I needed a breaker bar to loosen the Allen bolts - an air gun socket wouldn't do the trick!
7) Blocked front of engine with a nylon bolt and replaced front cover with Allen bolts to prevent displacing the thrust washer. Blocked flywheel to remove flywheel bolts - every hole dripped oil when removed so followed Brook Reams tutorial on adding some grey Permatek to the holes to the point where the end of bolts go into the flywheel holes.
8) Removed main seal - it was the original white one and was pretty leaky - used the tool Northwoods Airheads sells to insert the new seal - must be inserted dry and lip has to be preformed to fit over flywheel boss - Rusty at MAX BMW provided good advice on doing this - was pretty easy.
9) Removed Oil Pump cover - lucky this time it's (4) 10mm bolts and was easy to R&R.
10) Did purchase new bolts for flywheel , clutch and oil cover from MAX - missed buying the "O" ring for inside of flywheel and the OEM was in pretty bad shape so ordered a new one and just exercised patience knowing it had to be replaced. I received about 3 packs of M&M's from my parts orders and they weren't melted!
11) Bought clutch centering tool to reinstall clutch and found it to be very useful - I did reinstall clutch correctly as clutch works great!
12) Threads on right cylinder were boogied up so I removed and shipped to Randy Long in PA and for $50 and a weeks turnaround repaired the thread - Randy gave me a good suggestion to order a new exhaust nut and ship it to his shop so he could make sure it mated up correctly with the repaired threads - also ordered a new head gasket.
Followed instructions and head went on w/out any issues - after adjusting valves and starting engine I did get a bunch of noise on right cylinder - apparently I'd not pushed the pushrods all the way in so I removed head cover, reset valves and everything was good.
13) Niel came over to supervise reinstallation of the swingarm and clutch rod assembly - having him help me propelled me to get the bike put together - it'd been sitting disassembled with the real wheel off for a few weeks and my wife was anxious to get her garage stall back!
14) Ditched the OEM side stand and replaced with the Surefoot sold by Motoworks UK - really like it a lot!
15) Installed a new windscreen from National Cycle - like it a lot!
16) Adjustment screws on left carb were still not doing anything.

Went for a 125 r/t ride yesterday - by runs amazing and seems as quick as my R65LS - got her up to 80 or so but who knows how accurate speedo is but she runs amazingly well! Front suspension needs to be looked at as lots of travel on front end. When I got home, put the spoked on each spark plug and was able to balance the carbs - all that riding blew whatever debris was preventing the air/mixture screw from working on left carb.

Looked at bike this morning and not a drop of oil - so glad to have this behind me! This one is a keeper!

Thanks for your support!

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_6013.jpg
    IMG_6013.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6012.jpg
    IMG_6012.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 68
That is beautiful, your work is more so, the way you pass on your knowledge is what we are about, your brotherhood is welcomed and we thank YOU...….God bless......Dennis

What tank bag are you using? Need to get one for my 76 60/6 and would like to know how yours is working out?

Thanks,
Travis

Back