• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R12RT New owner - Tire reccomendations

P

pmaria

This is my first post here, so I'll start off saying hello, and thanks for all the info I've learned lurking around here the last few months.

My first experience with any motorcycle was in Germany in 1984. I was 10 years old and my uncle had an early 80's R80. He took me all over Denmark, Germany, Holland and France on that bike. The experience stuck with me, I never forgot the look of the cylinder heads sticking out the sides. 25 years later, he got a ride on the back of my BMW.

I bought my 08 RT (Biarritz blue) last July literally off the showroom floor after walking into the dealership to inquire about any used 05 or 06 RTs. The salesmen somehow managed to convince me otherwise and the next day I rode off with my 3rd bike in 8 years. Two weeks later I'd done 6000 kms and been to 5 states and 2 provinces. I love this machine!

Thanks to info from this site I wired in a Zumo 550, Starcom Advance and PIAA driving lights to a CenTech aux panel, I also learned some new riding techniques applicable to a bigger bike and longer distance. An 08 1200 BMW is a little different than my 84 750 Honda!

Enough of that.... I'm at 15,000 kms, and in need of a rear tire. The front is still in good shape, can I do just the back, or should I do both? What would be a good tire given that I commute daily, and plan do two or three 2up long distance trips within the next 6 months?

Thanks for listening!

Peter
Vancouver, BC

Best all around tire I have ever ridden is the Avon Storm. If you want maximum tire life, then I would look at the Metzler 880.

I got two personal suggestions.

Continental Sport Attacks - very good - they lasted to 11K miles, rear was squared off and the front slightly cupped

I replaced those with:

Pilot Road 2
- if the Conties above are a 4 these are a 5. Great grip dry and extremely confidence inspiring in the wet.

Good luck with your descision as you will probably have a lot of suggestions:thumb

Welcome aboard and i like the choice of bike you got!!

Peter welcome to the forum. If you use the search function for the forum you'll be overwhelmed with threads dealing with tires. Tires and oil; find two MOA members and you'll have 5 opinions. By the way, all the cool guys ride Biarritz Blue.

Peter welcome to the forum. If you use the search function for the forum you'll be overwhelmed with threads dealing with tires. Tires and oil; find two MOA members and you'll have 5 opinions. By the way, all the cool guys ride Biarritz Blue.

I did a seach, and you were right - I was overwhelmed. I asked because I was interested in something that would be good for a mix of commuting (all weather types) and fair weather 2up (sport) touring.

You are right about the Biarritz Blue - my buddy bought an 08 in silver and he always looks like an oversized scooter in my mirrors. Especially because he rides with the top case and no side cases.

I found a tire, but my local dealer wont be able to mount it before my planned trip. Is there any issues - warranty or technical - with having a non BMW authorized shop mount the rear tire?

I found a tire, but my local dealer wont be able to mount it before my planned trip. Is there any issues - warranty or technical - with having a non BMW authorized shop mount the rear tire?

You certainly don't have to go to a dealer to get a tire mounted. That said, I've discovered not too many places have adapters for the rear wheel to allow them to balance it.

BTW, my '06 R12RT has 75,000 kms and last year I switched to Pilot Road 2s. I like them, including for two-up long distance rides.

I have been very satisfied with Michlin Pilot Road tires. I ran them on an R1150RT and have them on the R12RT I now own.:yum

I have not tried the Pilot Road II, so have no expierence with these.

I recently replaced the front Pilot Road, which I got about 15K miles of ware. The rear looks like it will go another 3K to 4k. I run 35 psi in the front and 40 psi in the read regardless of how the bike is loaded.

This is strange, because on the 1150RT I was getting 17K on the rear and about 20 to 21K on front, using the same tire pressures as above. I don't believe I am riding the R12RT any differently, so I don't have a clue.:dunno

Does anyone have an idea what the differences are between the Pilot Road and the Pilot Road 2?

Bridgestone.....

Hi

Not sure if you get Bridgestone over there.....?

My '08 RT had BT020 fitted when it arrived new and the rear lasted just over 6k miles, with 70% solo riding & the rest two up with luggage.

I've always liked Bridgestone on my BMW's so I've now got the new BT 021 front & rear.

http://www.dutchman.org.uk/dutchblog/?p=111

Cheers

Dutch

Take a look at the Shinko 009 Raven tire. Anecdotal reports have been good. The rear for your bike is $103.

You are right about the Biarritz Blue - my buddy bought an 08 in silver and he always looks like an oversized scooter in my mirrors. Especially because he rides with the top case and no side cases.

NOW WAIT A MINUTE!! Naww, just kidding. My oversize scooter is custom Metallic and Sliver, but I only have the panniers on if I'm going to use them. I think the bike looks fine without them and I don't risk damaging them.

Welcome to the board and have a safe trip!

Oh wow - I guess I've also been known to just have my top case on! Oh the humanity!! :blush

RSVP Required

My oversize scooter is custom Metallic and Sliver...... I've also been known to just have my top case on!

Did you not ever wonder why that invitation to the CGC (Cool Guy's Club) just never seemed to arrive in the mail? ;)

This is my first post here, so I'll start off saying hello, and thanks for all the info I've learned lurking around here the last few months.

My first experience with any motorcycle was in Germany in 1984. I was 10 years old and my uncle had an early 80's R80. He took me all over Denmark, Germany, Holland and France on that bike. The experience stuck with me, I never forgot the look of the cylinder heads sticking out the sides. 25 years later, he got a ride on the back of my BMW.

I bought my 08 RT (Biarritz blue) last July literally off the showroom floor after walking into the dealership to inquire about any used 05 or 06 RTs. The salesmen somehow managed to convince me otherwise and the next day I rode off with my 3rd bike in 8 years. Two weeks later I'd done 6000 kms and been to 5 states and 2 provinces. I love this machine!

Thanks to info from this site I wired in a Zumo 550, Starcom Advance and PIAA driving lights to a CenTech aux panel, I also learned some new riding techniques applicable to a bigger bike and longer distance. An 08 1200 BMW is a little different than my 84 750 Honda!

Enough of that.... I'm at 15,000 kms, and in need of a rear tire. The front is still in good shape, can I do just the back, or should I do both? What would be a good tire given that I commute daily, and plan do two or three 2up long distance trips within the next 6 months?

Thanks for listening!

Peter
Vancouver, BC

Peter
See my notes on tyres and "steering", you may find something of help there.

I spun balanced my rear tire on the balancer at work. It's for car tires but my rear wheel fit just fine. You may want to go to a car repair shop and see if they will balance it for you. I used the automotive tire machine to change the tire too. It was more work than a car tire and I needed help but it worked and there are no marks on my wheel. Incidently,I mounted a new Z6. $160 including shipping from Ron Ayers.

Back