• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Integral ABS. System Flushing/Bleeding

bogdan

I wonder how many out there have any interest on service of Wizzy brakes? I want to share my thoughts on how often flushing and bleeding of the integral ABS system needs to be done. BMW says every year; that’s either a big expense if you’re paying or a significant investment of time and effort if you do it yourself.

At this point in my life, I'm trying to abstain from tiresome tasks – not having much luck with that. (I did successfully swear off mounting tires.) When I bought my 2004 R1150R ABS, I didn't know what I was getting into. I'm now aware that people avoid buying that generation of oil heads because of the complexity of brake maintenance. Anyway....I soon was told that neglecting brake fluid changes would guarantee huge problems. The remedies would cost more than the bike was worth. Weirdly my Haynes manual didn't touch this topic. During my first year of ownership, I did find a competent independent to do the job. I was living in Colorado. I figured in a dry climate I could wait two years till the next service - that time arrived. The previous wrench was no longer available, and I didn't trust the dealership. OK...no choice...I'll do it myself. Luckily, I found excellent instructions written by Dana E. Hager & Charles B. Gilman. I've now flushed and bled the. system four times.

The only way I know to judge brake fluid is by color - clear is new or like new, yellow is still ok and brown needs to be changed.

What I observed on four DIY go-rounds:

First effort following another’s work: After two years in mostly dry climates, fluid leaving front brake and both control circuits, was clear as new; rear brake was a little brown.

Second go, two years later, in which the bike lived in arid Colorado and spent some time in humid Mid-West, all fluid leaving was clear as new.

Third time: I again waited two years. Bike divided time between Colorado and St Louis MO. All fluid leaving was clear as new

Fourth event: After two years the bike spent in humid St. Louis, Chicago and Ontario, Canada, rear brake fluid was slightly yellow; all other fluid was clear as new.

My conclusion is yearly brake fluid change is overkill. Changing every two years is demonstrably enough. In fact, I might wait three years until the next flush/bleed.

Any thoughts? Curious what your experience might be.

Thnaks for sharing that service bulletin. I see they call out a difference in interval between rubber brake lines and the Stahlflex brake lines. My bike (2006 RT) has braided stainless exterior on the brake lines. I've been wondering if i have the upgraded brake lines or the standard rubber. Is there a way to confirm exactly whats on my bike??

Thnaks for sharing that service bulletin. I see they call out a difference in interval between rubber brake lines and the Stahlflex brake lines. My bike (2006 RT) has braided stainless exterior on the brake lines. I've been wondering if i have the upgraded brake lines or the standard rubber. Is there a way to confirm exactly whats on my bike??

After I read that bulletin I looked up what a "Stahlflex brake line" is. It is a teflon liner surrounded by woven stainless steel. That is also what a Speigler brake line is. So if you have what are commonly called "braided stainless" brake lines you are covered by the extended period mentioned in the bulletin.

Back