• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Front Brake Pads

Does anyone know if there is a proper orientation for front brake pads? They appear to be asymmetrical. One side has a little hook on it. Assembled, one would be at the top and one at the bottom. I am assuming it doesn't matter?

1710420900036.png
Thanks in advance!

The Front pads are asymmetrical, so installing new pads makes no difference where they go...left/right/inner/outer.
It's when you are doing service on pads you will be continuing to use that I mark the location of where they were removed from so they can be reinstalled to the same place. You don't want to accelerate wear on both the pad face and the rotor by changing the existing wear patterns on those parts.
Sorry I didn't make that more clear in the video.
Brad

Yesterday I finished doing this brake preventative maintenance on my 2021 F150. It has seen 2 winters here in Rhode Island, so some road treatment during the snow.
I was able to use a small needle oiler to slip under the rubber boot that covers the piston to apply some brake assembly lube all around the seals in the calipers before pressing the pistons all the way back into the casting of the caliper.
https://www.amazon.com/bottles-stainless-needle-your-Oils/dp/B07NKSLFSR/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?crid=2G4ULA9HLYQEG&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.26hu28I6gMySIMCfTDFtGkkbk435q0Qlp79zPoxfjhjFKxUkHjxPBzqogIwqhyCqI8-smhYXUTcOfpB6duH5nd76M1mUIIex79WvEl5WK5g-KUKaPYSPNjRLm80G5v637KVoI5OtI6XjugKosb6gx-IcRCYPk-ZvGzSCMf33SofuSY56SvnfrJFXI3bL3bvI-vOr-Idti3luDM4wrbto1R32Hg3sIQaTyp5WF4Yg-cHIwcbUwixiE2tbkdNAAZjDJCQgzNBxOAckQCTcOhfLjeABHnFQRK48bik1GKAdsXc.1E_-YB2VKoACdOHQREVulKVTacxk5BgmJGGRmMb22bI&dib_tag=se&keywords=pin+oiler&qid=1710425093&sprefix=pin+oiler,aps,114&sr=8-11-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1
Since the caliper bracket is cast iron, "rust jacking" on the cast iron eventually pushes the stainless steel slide contacts tighter and tighter against the steel backing plates of the brake pads, causing a problem with the pads easily pushing away from contact with the rotor face.
By pushing all the pistons on all 4 brakes back into the calipers at the same time, renewing the 2 1/2 year old fluid from within the calipers as well as all the lines assures the least possibility of early brake fade from moisture contamination of the fluid normally trapped in the calipers.

TMI for this BMW forum, but I wanted to expound on the principal of "preventative" maintenance rather than "routine" maintenance.

Brad

Last edited:
Factual knowledge from experience is NEVER "TMI"! :thumb
Especially when it can be applied to other situations.

I installed SPPED BLEEDERS on my 15 RT, can complete annual brake flush in less than a hour, front and rear, pad change is simple on RT, EBC pads are great and reasonable price on Amazon

I installed SPPED BLEEDERS on my 15 RT, can complete annual brake flush in less than a hour, front and rear, pad change is simple on RT, EBC pads are SEEMINGLY MADE OF WOOD AND WORK ABOUT AS WELL and reasonable price on Amazon.
Made a slight change to your post. :)

Back