• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200rt front brake lever working extremely hard

woody99

Hi; I was riding and from the start my front brake level would hardly move, not applying the front brakes hardly at all. I rode for maybe 75 miles just using the back brake. We parked for an hour and on my trip home the front brake worked normally.. Does anyone ever experienced they or heard of this. I have rode for almost 60 years and never experienced this? Thanks Woody

Just a WAG - some debris blocking a line or blocking one of those teeny little holes in the master cylinder...?

I'd expect some kind of fault code...

Some issues may deserve a wait-and-see attitude. In my opinion a situation where pulling the front brake lever resulted in "applying the front brakes hardly at all" is not such an issue.In normal riding the front brake usually does 90% of the braaking. Lacking that, in an emergency stop, the rear brake is very likely to cause the rear wheel to slide. The results easily include hitting something, skidding into a low side, or being tossed in a high side.

This is an issue which needs to be resolved proactively; not re-actively.

This doesn't seem like a "bleed" issue - if a bleed fails, the level pulls all the way in with little or no resistance; his issue is a "hard" lever.

This doesn't seem like a "bleed" issue - if a bleed fails, the level pulls all the way in with little or no resistance; his issue is a "hard" lever.

But maybe it is a "crud" issue and bleeding/flushing may remove the crud. That is where I would start, at least.

Bypassing the ABS

Does anyone have info and parts availability for bypassing 2009 R1200rt ABS system, I ordered a master cylinder rebuilt kit, but if that doesn't work? I seen some bypass videos on you tube on older bikes. parts from UK. Any ideas

2009 hard brake lever

Does anyone have info and parts availability for bypassing 2009 R1200rt ABS system, I ordered a master cylinder rebuilt kit, but if that doesn't work? I seen some bypass videos on you tube on older bikes. parts from UK. Any ideas

I took apart the front brake master cylinder and there was no snap ring, just metal piece, I talked to a BMW mechanic and he said they made it so it was not repairable, anyone dealt with this before?/Users/Woody/Desktop/Brake.eml/Users/Woody/Desktop/Brake.eml

hard brake lever

We ordered a front master cylinder kit for the Boneyard.. I disassembled everything and found something no one seemed to know about, The master cylinder did not have a snap ring holding in the piston. It had a slotted piston with a pin in the middle of the reservoir, a clasp was holding the pin in place, once that was removed the pin that was holding in the piston ,it slide out. Weird setup. The kit from Beemer Boneyard was not right, but the rubber seals worked./Users/woodymiller/Desktop/IMG_2538.jpg/Users/woodymiller/Desktop/IMG_2540.jpgIMG_2538.jpgIMG_2540.jpg

Back