• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100 cylinder stud hole thread repair

ChockB

Repairing a leaking head gasket has taken a turn for the worse. :banghead The leak was due to the threads in the block pulling out. Just over 40k on the bike... Low miles, but a rough life thanks to po. Have searched for options and decided on using a time-sert instead of a helicoil for repairs. It is the lower front bolt on the left cylinder. Any experience with this repair? Which is the correct insert (thread pitch and length)? Spring is around the corner and I want to be ready to ride. Any information that will help speed up the repair is greatly appreciated.:thumb

Repairing a leaking head gasket has taken a turn for the worse. :banghead The leak was due to the threads in the block pulling out. Just over 40k on the bike... Low miles, but a rough life thanks to po. Have searched for options and decided on using a time-sert instead of a helicoil for repairs. It is the lower front bolt on the left cylinder. Any experience with this repair? Which is the correct insert (thread pitch and length)? Spring is around the corner and I want to be ready to ride. Any information that will help speed up the repair is greatly appreciated.:thumb

I have about 3 helicoils doing the job after 220,000 miles. I cannot tell you exactly what picth and lenght though. I just used the kit and it works very well. In my own case the threads messing up have always been my fault being an overtorquer... Used a drill bit, than slowly the threader, insert the spring after cutting the little metal stop at the end which would have made the srping too short and that was it.
Sorry I cannot be more scientific about it.
Be well, Ara & Spirit

Time-Sert

Being an over-torquer myself, I thought helicoil took too much metal for the insert. I ordered the proper size time sert kit, drilled and inserted, then installed a bit of proper-sized all-thread. My drill hole was a little off, but tightening the cylinder cover nuts to proper torque and driving around a while pulled everything sqare. All's good. I like the time sert system a lot, especially when the metal you have to work with is limited.:bolt

Being an over-torquer myself, I thought helicoil took too much metal for the insert. I ordered the proper size time sert kit, drilled and inserted, then installed a bit of proper-sized all-thread. My drill hole was a little off, but tightening the cylinder cover nuts to proper torque and driving around a while pulled everything sqare. All's good. I like the time sert system a lot, especially when the metal you have to work with is limited.:bolt

James:

Tell me you didn't really use all-thread, like the stuff you get at WalMart!

Back