• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R1100RS cylinder stud stripped - need to verify thread pitch

hillbillync

Hello all. Gearing up to replace a stripped cylinder head stud. I have read many posts from here and other BMW forums and watched several YouTube videos. The one thing I can't verify is the size of the stud, or more specifically the thread pitch. In the parts diagram it lists it as a M10x260 but no thread pitch. Common thread repair kits come in M10-1.0, 1.25 and 1.5. Any one know 1st hand what it is?

Also, thinking of going in the middle with the Ez-lok thread repair kit. More robust than a typical heli-coil but not as wide as a Time Sert? I don't know if the stud is one with the sleeve alignment insert so I was concerned about the Time Sert shoulder. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thread is M10x1.5
Use nutsert shoulder bit so shoulder is flush or a few thou below the block height

I'm interested in learning from fellow BMW owners who participate in forums and share knowledge and experience. Not the "read the forum" types but ones who actually want to help. Feel free to not respond if you don't have any relevant information to add.

I'm interested in learning from fellow BMW owners who participate in forums and share knowledge and experience. Not the "read the forum" types but ones who actually want to help. Feel free to not respond if you don't have any relevant information to add.

Sounds like you are all set.
I was just taken back by the unnecessary rudeness……. A response I’ve never seen in a decade on the forum.
Maybe it’s just your way. :dunno
OM

It wasn't intended as rudeness, it was an measured response to your suggestion I read the posts when I had clearly stated I had read the posts before asking for help. You contributed nothing and I thanked you for it. I also thanked the one person on this forum who did help. Rudeness indeed.

It wasn't intended as rudeness, it was an measured response to your suggestion I read the posts when I had clearly stated I had read the posts before asking for help. You contributed nothing and I thanked you for it. I also thanked the one person on this forum who did help. Rudeness indeed.

sheesh.

SPP

I generally don't get into a linguistic lesson here on the forum as we "generally" don't need it.

"thanks for nothing"
used to show you are annoyed when someone has done something you are unhappy about or has failed to help you in some way:

Courtesy of The Cambridge Dictionary.

HTH

OM

Thanks GSA.

Thanks for nothing OM.

it really wasn't nothing, the info you were seeking was clearly stated in 1st article at the bottom of the page. Maybe OM didn't feel like retyping? or you didn't feel like reading?

" Here is a link to a video of how to use the Northwoods jig to drill out the damaged threads, tap new threads for a 20 mm long M10x1.5 Heli-Coil insert, and install the insert. "

Back