• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RT and Dirt Roads

cubflyer

Folks

I am thinking about a Canada BC ride this summer. There are a couple of places I would like to go see but there might be 20 miles of dirt road. This would be roads maintained by the state and groomed (I'm guessing pretty regular) as they would support auto, trailers, and 18 wheelers on a daily basis. Will my R100RT handle this? I am not sure I want to buy a GS bike when 99% of my travel is on paved roads. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

Folks

I am thinking about a Canada BC ride this summer. There are a couple of places I would like to go see but there might be 20 miles of dirt road. This would be roads maintained by the state and groomed (I'm guessing pretty regular) as they would support auto, trailers, and 18 wheelers on a daily basis. Will my R100RT handle this? I am not sure I want to buy a GS bike when 99% of my travel is on paved roads. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

Just install a set of good dual-sport type tires and enjoy the ride. That is what we did with Voni's R80ST when we went to Alaska. (I was riding the ST's brother, my R80 G/S Paris/Dakar) You won't be doing whoops and big bumps so shouldn't need long travel suspension. But a bit more off-pavement tire traction will make the trip more fun.

Last edited:
Tires would help, but they aren't completely necessary. This ride eventually became double-track and single-track dirt, about 20ish miles connecting pavement:

View072920222-L.jpg

This was in the mountains. I manage traction on rides like this one by just tractoring along in 2nd gear. A nice groomed dirt highway will be no problem.

I did a groomed to semi-groomed fire/dirt road on my RT in the past. While it's doable, I think it's best to go slow and be able to flat foot both feet. The bike felt somewhat top heavy and hard to maneuver at times. There were times that being able to place both feet on the ground prevented a tip over. Of course, all of the above depends heavily on the condition of the road.

Fairing

Back a bit in time I used to ride on dirt secondary roads. That is until the paint on my fairing started to look like someone peppered it with birdshot. Other than that, I never had a problem. Now, I try to stay off the dirt because I am older and fussier about the paint, LOL. St.

When we went to Alaska in 1988 our friend was on a 1984 RT and he didn't have any trouble.

1988 Alaska_0005.jpg

Thanks Steve. I had not thought of that. I think the amount of the ride on dirt will not be too bad.

Great photo Lee. Thanks

Bill

You might consider some paint protection film, especially down low behind the front tire. Also a large front fender mud flap or “Fenda Extenda”. Your biggest problem with taking a street bike on a dirt or gravel road is the paint damage down low behind the front tire. Lots of potential for rock chips. Any forward facing surface up to about the height of the front tire is vulnerable.

As far as the bike being able to make it, it’s more about the conditions, the rider, and the speed. If the road is dry, you should be ok. If it’s muddy, traction will be a problem with street tires.

If you can keep the speed down, should be ok. If you have to keep the speed up to keep from holding up cars, could be a problem. If there is minimal traffic, so you can pick the speed you are comfortable at, much better.

Remember, GSs were developed for OFF road and trails. People have been riding regular bikes on dirt roads since before there were paved roads (and still do).

:dance:dance:dance

Old timers

OKAY, I have to comment, as a WW2 history buff, I have watched a few videos of the Germans riding their Zundapps and BMWs in horrendous mud. One must not forget sometimes mud will build up between fender and tire, those old videos make that point clear. LOL. That is one reason why some adventure bikes have the fenders well clear of the tires.

While I doubt you would ride into that serious a mud problem on a well traveled road, I can safely say I would, just my luck, LOL. St.

OKAY, I have to comment, as a WW2 history buff, I have watched a few videos of the Germans riding their Zundapps and BMWs in horrendous mud. One must not forget sometimes mud will build up between fender and tire, those old videos make that point clear. LOL. That is one reason why some adventure bikes have the fenders well clear of the tires.

While I doubt you would ride into that serious a mud problem on a well traveled road, I can safely say I would, just my luck, LOL. St.

True. When Voni rode her R80ST to Alaska (in 1991) I had raised the front fender about 1.5 inches. It could still jam a bit with mud, but if it did I could claw it out with a screwdriver. With luck, it never jammed up between fender and tire.

mud jams front wheel

Great point, I had the same problem of mud between the fender and tire on my 08 R1200 GS. I can't understand why they didn't leave a bit more space under the fender...
Dry gravel was no problem on my 77 R100 RS with metzeler road tires, but I agree a more agressive tire would be better.

Back