• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

PURE Digital subscription -VS- Print.

Distribution Options?

I assure you the hard copy is safe and sound. When we have discussed digital distribution in the past, is has always been as something done in addition to the printed magazine. The hard copy remains safe.

And I'd like to add that while we have discussed new formats, the staff and Board have by no means come close to deciding to move forward with these other types of distribution options.

Thanks,
Vince Winkel
Media Editor, BMW MOA

Thanks Vince - I for one am glad to hear we are staying with a printed medium. No computer terminal in my bathroom at this time - TV would come first!

Seriously, I often choose to display the ON at my classes (teach MSF curriculum), take with me when I travel, display to friends (both of them!), use as an MOA recruiting tool or just curl up with in my easy chair late at night to relax with current or older issues.

If I have to print them out to be mobile, am I not still killing a tree, somewhere on the planet?!

Some of us are less electronically dependant than others, and neither own a lap top nor even visit our desk tops daily. The monthly issue is, in my humble and I suspect lonely opinion, superior to internet grazing, and would prefer it to remain the MOA's vanguard method of communication.

We already have the Forum, with too much sqauking, finger-pointing and "my way or the highway" rhetoric - of the two mediums, guess which one I could live without if such a choice had to be made?!

Last edited:
One of the things to think about, and I am a electronic person, is that there are also challenges of the "electronic" age that will suprise you. So here are my opinions:

1) The amount of "I can not figure out how to work this thing" calls and e-mails will go up. The solution would need to be supported on multiple operating systems, hardware, and software packages. I know from just supporting electronic distribution of stuff at work, that just because it works unders Windows XP Pro running Internet Explorer 7 - does not mean that it runs under Mac OS X running Safari which also does not insure it will run under Firefox on either machine.

I have very rarely seen people have trouble getting the magazine out of the mailbox and opening it. Of course the magazine can be delayed or damaged but the same thing can happen electronically.

2) As M1ka alluded to, we, the members, need to provide content for the magazine and for the electronic version. That is a whole lot more content. Also for that information to be reviewed and editted would require more resources.

3) There is also the question of what happens with copyrights and advertisements

Would I like to see an online searchable database of articles, yes. Would I like to receive only an electronic copy of the magazine, no. For me they do not work. I spend enough time staring at computers for work and the like that I like having the printed page. Also with the amount of time I spend on airplanes I never have to worry about turning off the magazine or it running out of batteries.

I have tried electronic copies and for me, I prefer the magazine.

The program I referred to in the opening post actually points to the fact of how secure and easy it is for many types of systems to open and view the contents.

And maybe I should have thought twice before mentioning "PURE" digital in the opening comment.

I really did not imply that the paperbacks be removed completely from production, simply, there should be an alternative (which "could" be easier) for a great many of us to use.

And what about all the worldly travelers out and about? They'd be able to keep up with the latest and greatest copies where ever they went.
"I've heard that some of these MOA types are on the road for more than a month at a time!:nod :rolleyes "

Heck, look how many of you are responding to this thread...digitally...:blush
Kutch

I forgot to mention;

With digital copy you can always read it on your Blackberry while cruising down the highway on your luxo-tourer. :whistle

I would like to see and archive of back issues on CD or in this Fourm. I donot keep any oil copies of ON. I have been scanning what I wanted to keep. It would be nice to be able to see back issue sometime.

Don

I've been a computer & internet geek since they were made available to the public. I work for Intel Corp making computer chips. I would be thrilled to support and technology that saves our environment more damage. I also feel the electronic medium would drastically reduce the cost of production as well as expidite it's delivery. I doubt the content for this magazine is received primarily through snail mail.

Count me as +1 vote for an internet based BMWON magazine.

I don't believe print material will go the way of the dodo anytime soon, there is something satisfying about flipping pages and having the left side grow larger as the right side diminishes, indicating progress - especially when reading a LARGE book. A digital format would be a great addition though... I can't count how many times I've gone flipping through a stack of ON's (and other mags) looking for a particular article, or portion of. It would be great to be able to do a word search on-line and either pull up the article, or at least get the issue information and pull out the correct magazine.

I would be happy with a dual style issue. A print version just as we have now. An electronic version available to members through the web site as well as an archive of previous issues with all of the technical material in them.

That way everyone would get the best of both worlds. For those who are still in the 19th century (non computer literate) they still have the paper. For those who are computer literate you have access if you want it and especially the data base of all of the previous issues. The actual cost to the club is minimal. The web site already exists and electronic storage is pretty darn cheap (cheaper than storing boxed stacks of old magazines). I imagine the magazine is in digital format to go to the printers so it should be pretty darn simple.

:thumb

Back